Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-10-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Chevington Drift memories

My Grandfather's and Gt Grandfather's family lived at Chevington Drift from around 1901 or so. William Charles Hay was my gt Grandfather. He lived at 2 Hedgehope and had 9 children. Three of his children lived at the Drift - Charles John Hay (married Jane Scott), Ethel Constance who married Andrew Simpson (lived at 32 Linhope) and my grandfather George Adam Hay.
My grandfather George lived at 16 Hedgehope and was killed at Stobswood colliery in 1929. His eldest son John Thomas married Margaret Conroy and lived at 20 Simonside. His daughter Ethel married John Todd and they lived at 24 Linhope. They had a son George Todd who was killed in the 2nd World War.
I have done a lot of research into the Hay family (back to 1760s!). The people of the 3 villages book has helped but if anyone recognises these names and has any information it would be really interesting. Some of the decendents of the family are Leslie Hay, Lizzie Rutter (who I met in the 1970s) and Andrew Simpson (died in 1976). I've attached a photo of the drift taken in 1977 just before it was demolished. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevington Drift no 2 cropped.jpg (77.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM

Hello Christine, I can't see an obvious link to your grandfathers line but I've got a Robert Hay b.1873 in my tree who lived at 61 Simonside per 1911 Census?
Old 05-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Thanks. I think there was another Hay family living in the area at the time, but I don't think they were related. I have no Robert Hay in the family.