Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Shilbottle Lime Kiln

Had a walk to shilbottle lime kiln this morning; beautiful day for it.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator

On the top:- Charging bowl or combustion chamber - almost full of debris - there was a rabbit running around in the bottom of there, which promptly disappeared. Guess they've got it tunneled out.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Administrator

more pics if interested:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/shilbottle..._lime_kiln.htm

a cross section sketch of a typical kiln is on this page (offsite) http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mendips/aggrega...meburning.html
Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

still some soot there from when it was operational? :

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/shilbottle...ime_kiln_4.htm
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default Lime kiln

I lived in Shilbottle from 49 to 54 and the kiln was next to the field behind our house(lLee Avenue)so it was frequently visited by our gang!!Was a ruin then so dont know when it was operational.There was a quarry next to it which used to dry out in the summer,full of the usual old bikes etc !Lots of Newts could be had and frogs spawn.The field I mentioned was a great one for field mushrooms ,never tasted the like since!!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
I lived in Shilbottle from 49 to 54 and the kiln was next to the field behind our house(lLee Avenue)so it was frequently visited by our gang!!Was a ruin then so dont know when it was operational.There was a quarry next to it which used to dry out in the summer,full of the usual old bikes etc !Lots of Newts could be had and frogs spawn.The field I mentioned was a great one for field mushrooms ,never tasted the like since!!

Nice to get you reminiscing. Think parts of that kiln might be ready to tumble unfortunately. (I'll make a note of that field too for mushrooming )
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Default more

The farm behind the little girl(your daughter?)was where my mum and I occasionally walked to and bought butter !! A school friend who lived next to the (red brick)school in prefabs dug up a small carved head ,it was sent to a museum (Ncastle?)and was said to be of saxon origin!!Nice place for children then,was never in the house after school ,lots of countryside to play in ,in the summer usd to cycle to Warkworth and help the groundsman in the castle,he let us drive the motor mower(HSE would not like this!!)and we learned a lot of history.Still one of my favourite places to visit whenever I can.Was there last October,I asked the "english heritage"lady why they did not put a roof on and window glass in and use it for weddings etc it would be greta.No money she says!!How about a lottery grant?
Old 13-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator

That farm looks now to be partially holiday accomodation, so will have changed a lot since your visits:

http://www.villagefarmcottages.co.uk/

Quote:
A school friend who lived next to the (red brick)school in prefabs dug up a small carved head ,it was sent to a museum (Ncastle?)and was said to be of saxon origin!!
wonder were that saxon artifact you mention ended up?