Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default The Forsyth Image Collection

Thanks to the work of Hollydog (and Hollydog Snr.!) we have been given permission to reproduce Joe Fosyth's photo collection of the changes that occurred in Hauxley and Togston Townships with the opencast operations of the 1970s.

We will add pictures over time and there are a lot of them.

The gallery is just started here:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...cast_1970.html

I had no memory of 'Sea View' so very nice to see it at last!

Last edited by Coquet; 21-10-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 21-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Well done the Hollydogs
Old 22-10-2013, 07:07 AM

More congrats to all involved, the buildings to the left of the first photo, more or less opposite the "dig" site, is Bondicar farm. This was farmed by the Douglas family and was locally known as "Bye Ayes" because Geordie Douglas had a habit of adding this at the end of a sentence.
Old 22-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Memories

Brilliant picture. I used to deliver the papers for Charlie Nyberg as a 10 year old, starting off at Radcliffe then Kirkwell Cottages,High Hauxley,Low Hauxley,the old caravan site and when i got to Newburgh i knew my shift was nearly over ! I cant wait to see more of the collection.
Old 22-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

A few more added. you might have to refresh the page in your browser to see them.

I reckon Newburgh shaft should be about where the bulldozer without its blade is parked in this picture (link below). Have they covered the shaft with girders and stuck that on top? !

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...molished2.html

[edit: or it could have been in the depression in front of that bladless bulldozer?]
Old 22-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Question Re; Enlargement (Forsyth Collection)

There is an upright white post just left of centre behind the spoils mound.
Is this a navigation aid for mariners or a opencast marker of the boundary of the dig? I can't recall it being there in the days I tramped down the old road from East Togston Farm corner after getting off Craiggs' bus. Quite a route march by todays standards but essential if I wanted to go to the beach.
Old 22-10-2013, 01:16 PM

I have enlarged the original slide of the first picture in the set with the cottages (it can be just seen on the picture on here) and the white pole does appear to be there, over by Bondicarr dunes, not directly down where the road was.
Old 22-10-2013, 01:30 PM

The photo with Hauxley pit heap in the centre, I notice this was already being removed as the top is flat. When it was being used the top was pointed, a stone buck pulled by a hauler, ran up on rails and was tipped when it reached the top so keeping the apex pointed.
Old 22-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
I have enlarged the original slide of the first picture in the set with the cottages (it can be just seen on the picture on here) and the white pole does appear to be there, over by Bondicarr dunes, not directly down where the road was.
I think it might still be there. It must have been for observation at one time because I can remember it having alternating triangular shaped foot holds all the way up. They have now rotted away.

Old 22-10-2013, 03:22 PM

Question Re; Enlargement (Forsyth Collection)

I just had a thought. Is this post the remainder of those used to hoist a red flag for the ranges at Hadston? The ones for Hadston road and Linkhouse would be over-run by opencast but this particular one is right on the links and wouldn't be near workings.
Old 22-10-2013, 05:48 PM

The pole with the footholds was obviously designed for someone to climb for some reason. There was also a similar one at the end of the Amble caravan site near the old sandpit, we used to call it the "Totem pole". It was a concrete construction, the one on the Hauxley links is wooden. They may have some connection with the coastguard rescue teams.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I think it might still be there. It must have been for observation at one time because I can remember it having alternating triangular shaped foot holds all the way up. They have now rotted away.

I had a close look at it a couple of months ago before it disappears forever into the sea. There are lots of coins embedded in it - decimal ones mainly - don't know why!
Old 22-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
The photo with Hauxley pit heap in the centre, I notice this was already being removed as the top is flat. When it was being used the top was pointed, a stone buck pulled by a hauler, ran up on rails and was tipped when it reached the top so keeping the apex pointed.
About 1970 ish red ash was taken from Hauxley pit heap to fill in the Braid.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
The pole with the footholds was obviously designed for someone to climb for some reason. There was also a similar one at the end of the Amble caravan site near the old sandpit, we used to call it the "Totem pole". It was a concrete construction, the one on the Hauxley links is wooden. They may have some connection with the coastguard rescue teams.
There is another identical wooden one just to the north of Boulmer along the dunes. I always thought they were just lookout posts for something like the coastguard. You do get a good view from the top!
Old 25-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Administrator

So can we identify the terraces in the picture series?
I think the first must be Dandsfield Place South?:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...terrace_2.html

2nd?? : -

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...e_terrace.html
Old 25-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Here's the panorama in the Forsyth Gallery extended by 1 more image to the right/east.

Quite a scene, Alnmouth Bay in the distance on the right, East Togston farm on the left. Devastated Radcliffe in the middle!

Didn't think I'd ever see anything like that. Thank you Mr Forsyth.

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...panorama3.html
Old 25-10-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Here's the panorama in the Forsyth Gallery extended by 1 more image to the right/east.

Quite a scene, Alnmouth Bay in the distance on the right, East Togston farm on the left. Devastated Radcliffe in the middle!

Didn't think I'd ever see anything like that. Thank you Mr Forsyth.

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/hauxley_no...panorama3.html
This panorama shows all of what was to become the Togston Opencast Site in a few years time.
Old 25-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Great photos,on pic 23 I can just make out the Drift in the distance.
Old 25-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
This panorama shows all of what was to become the Togston Opencast Site in a few years time.
Those pictures are about to be seen, watch this space
Old 26-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Correct Coquet, that was Dandsfield South, the other one, I would say, is Centre Row looking North with Long Row and the "Chute" gone and Dandsfield South on the horizon.