Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM

Default Central Avenue.

According to that 1932 arial picture it was well established so must have been built in the 1920's. It is suprising that, what must have been an extensive private estate, was built at that time of strikes and financial uproar. How did the original occupiers afford to buy their houses? Ambles first council houses Westfield, were also built in the 20's. Wages then must have been in the region of £3 to £5 pound per week if they were lucky.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
The 1926 Register is interesting as it shows women being eligible to vote. From what I can gather, in 1918 women aged over 30 and property owners were entitled to vote for the first time, but it was not until 1928 that all women were eligible to vote on the same footing as men.
From looking at the Amble register, it seems that married women were eligible because their husbands were occupiers of property but there also seems to be some single women eligible too......property owners in their own right?
In compiling my family tree I'd lost track of brother and sister, Robert and Ellen Wilson (last recorded in 1911 census at 14 Smith St). I see both of these names together at 23a Newburgh St in 1926. Both eligible to vote (would have been 41 & 36yrs old respectively). Is there any more info on register to suggest title i.e. Mr & Miss in this case to confirm whether these are my relatives?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfr1961 View Post
In compiling my family tree I'd lost track of brother and sister, Robert and Ellen Wilson (last recorded in 1911 census at 14 Smith St). I see both of these names together at 23a Newburgh St in 1926. Both eligible to vote (would have been 41 & 36yrs old respectively). Is there any more info on register to suggest title i.e. Mr & Miss in this case to confirm whether these are my relatives?

It doesn't give any more info unfortunately, I wish it had shown occupation!
I think Robert and Ellen Wilson are shown in Percy Street, rather than Newburgh Street?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator

I knew a 'Stewart' family lived in a cottage on the North Side, and they appear on this register, but what was the reason for them being over there? I assume it was work (harbour) related?
I imagine sending the kids to school (assuming they had some) was a bit of a chore in the middle of winter!

[John William and Susan Stewart, number 1644 and 1645 on the register]
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfr1961 View Post
It looks like they were not a married couple....no eligibility for Ellen to vote through her husband's occupation. Ellen was eligible because of her occupation, which is interesting. Robert's was a residence qualification. Maybe a trade directory would help?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM

thanks for your helpful comments Coquet and Janwhin (and yes, my mistake it is Percy St!).
Old 18-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I've made a start on this document from forum member 'Leslie'.
Slow going as ever, here's the start, just about 2,000 more names to add.

[might be enough here to answer your query Janwhin?]

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...oral_roll.html
Just followed this thread and 'discovered' my great grandmother on my mother's side, Emma Foster. I knew she lived at 4Coquet Street in 1914, as this was the address my grandfather gave on enlistment. She obviously lived there for several years more than I was able to trace. Thanks!