Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 18-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Administrator

The Roll for the Bronze Royal Humane Society Medal is online:

http://lsars.org.uk/rolls.htm

Don't think anyone from that incident gained the bronze medal.

I wonder if we have any Royal Humane Society Medals associated with Amble or Warkworth Harbour for any other 'events'? Quite possible I think.
Old 19-08-2013, 09:51 AM

My great grandfather was awarded a "handsome testimonial" from the Royal Humane Society for saving someone from the Coquet at Warkworth in 1887. He is not listed on the roll you mention presumably because that is related to the award of medals.

I only found out about it from the newspapers, perhaps something similar went on with this incident. I'll see what I can find.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Just been reminded that Simonsen has a list of Great War Gallantry Medallists (14 names) in his book. Again this is top heavy in DCMs suggesting more MMs 'out there'

I'll edit this post with the names and LG references as I find them]

[
Simonsen records a Sapper J.R. Campbell, DCM 1915 + Bar 1920
Closest match is:

2. LG 3/6/1915 DCM, LG 14/3/1916 Bar to DCM
17751 A.2/Cpl. J.P. Campbell 5th Field Co Royal Engineers. (home town not published)

Newspaper archive is finally moving forward so a bit of information for Campbell:
Newcastle Journal 5 June 1917:
"The Amble Picture Hall was filled with an enthusiastic gathering to do honour to a local soldier...who had been awarded the DCM and on a later occasion with a clasp, for gallantry in the field......Sergeant James P Campbell, of the Royal Engineers...
He got the DCM for saving a comrade. It was in the operations in March 1915, the Engineers had to advance to cut the wires. Campbell had cut these wires when the Germans came down upon them, and the British had to retreat; but Campbell did not do so, for he saw a comrade wounded, and he went back, and under heavy machine gun fire from the Germans, carried and dragged his comrade into safety and saved his life.
The clasp was awarded him for a brave action 6 months later. He was in a trench when a bomb from the Germans fell on the ground between him and an officer. There were many other men in the trench. It was the work of an instant, but Sergt Campbell in that instant seized the bomb and threw it over the parapet....
Campbell had been out since Aug 1914. He went out with one f the first boats with the first Expeditionary Force, and he had come through it all unwounded....."
Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 PM

And a Military Medal: Newcastle Journal, 13 June 1917:
"Sergt. Albert Dobson, (Amble) Northumberland Fusiliers, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in the field. He took part in the battle of Arras, and in the taking of a village he had to take charge of a platoon. They took up an important position on a road and captured an advance post and eight German snipers.
Sergt. Dobson joined up in November 1914, and up to 13th August last was kept in England for the purposes of training and instructing. On the latter date he went to France, and has been in the fighting ever since."
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Nice finds Jahwhin.

Medal collectors over the years have been despondent at the loss of the Military Medal citations in the 1940 blitz. The Newspapers appear to be the saving grace to this situation, at least for a good percentage. The closest Military Medal to a 'local' I have is one to a chap in the Northumberland Hussars from north of Morpeth (name of the place escapes me at the moment). Helpfully for the Northumberland Hussars the citations were published in the regimental history, but I expect they are going to turn up in the newspaper archive as well.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Royal Humane Society Medals

Well this is a curious discovery. Regarding one Walter John Casey (as above?) and.........Royal Humane Society Medals (told you we'd have some for the port) :

"REWARDS FOR LIFE SAVING.

The Royal Humane Society have made the following awards for deeds of heroism in life saving: -

Medals to Robert Middlemiss (31) of Amble, and John Henry Gardner (52), of Amble for attempting to save Walter John Casey, of Amble, who fell into Amble Harbour on July 22."

The Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 23 September 1924
Old 05-05-2014, 02:36 PM

There is a Walter J Casey death in 1924, aged 15. I thought I'd have a look since your newspaper article says they "tried to save him."
Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM

1911 census, Walter John son of Walter, all living Acklington Road.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Could it be the son of RSM Casey then?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Administrator

crossed posts - Interesting.

Dragging the depths of my memory I can remember some award or other for an event at 'Warkworth Harbour' appearing on the medal market, but it wasn't these. So think there are other awards 'out there'.

[edit: I might be thinking of the Sea Gallantry Medal for the Ina McTavish ]
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Yes it was the son of RSM Casey, I believe he went in from the steps at the end of the South Pier much the same as the Shaun Brown in 1977.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Yes it was the son of RSM Casey, I believe he went in from the steps at the end of the South Pier much the same as the Shaun Brown in 1977.
That was a tragic, sad day for my school year group.

I do believe another member of our year received a similar Humane Soc. award in the seventies when as a young lad he climbed down a ladder on the quayside after a chap fell in and held his head above water until help could be summoned.I know names but I want to be sure of the facts.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Local Awards , Awarded for bravery during Attempted rescue of crew of RAF Launch . 29th of September 1969.

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution recognised the bravery of their own volunteers and two RN Divers during this incident with the following awards:

Bronze Medals (4) Coxswain William Henderson; crew members James Stewart, Andrew Scott* and Robert Stewart*.

Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum (5) to Second Coxswain John Connell, Acting Bowman Ronald Falcous, Mechanic Ronald Sabiston, Assistant Mechanic Hugh Matthews and Crew Member Hugh R Matthews;

Framed Letters of Thanks to the Royal Navy divers J B Sample and E Brahma.

*The awards to Robert Stewart and Andrew Scott were the first medals for a service carried out in an inshore lifeboat. Robert and Andrew were also awarded the Ralph Glister Award for the most meritorious service of the year carried out by the crew of an inshore lifeboat. (information courtesy RNLI)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM

I was only 4 at the time but can vividly remember standing at the end of the Quarry wall in the dusk looking at the debris smashing on the rocks in front of me

I have copied this from the Forces Reunited website, I think it is possibly the full version of Leslie's post earlier - I hope you don't mind me doing this Leslie? but the full rescue story is worthy of re-telling

Quoted from a post by Colin Davies -

"Not a Happy Memory"

Bridlington disaster - September 1969
The loss of Pinnace 1386.
The mk2 63ft pinnace were in my opinion and of many who served on them the most seaworthy of the launches we used, and the most stable. No pinnace had ever been lost due to weather or sea conditions.
1386 from the MCU at Bridlington had been working with helicopters from Leuchars, and was returning to base on passsage from Dundee due to the sea conditions the skipper decided to stop over at Amble Harbour.

Capsized in 20-30 ft waves near Amble. Of the crew of eight, four were pulled from the sea by small craft. Vessel was towed into shallow waters near the south pier by the Amble Lifeboat. Four men were trapped in the upturned hull, lifeboatmen smashed through the hull to rescue a deckhand who had been trapped for 6 hours. Three lives lost.
Two Bravery awards were granted for this incident, one to a member of the helicopter crew, and one to a crewmember of the launch, both citations were published in the Supplement to the London Gazette of the 22nd May 1970, (26th) as follows:
"Air Force Department Central Chancery Of The Orders Of Knighthood St. James’s Palace, London S.W.I. 26th May 1970.
The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the British Empire Medal for Gallantry (Military Division) to the undermentioned:
H4165934 Sergeant Robert Francis MOORE, Royal Air Force.
Sergeant Moore was Marine Fitter on board a Royal Air Force Pinnace when, without warning, the vessel capsized and foundered in mountainous seas approximately one mile off Amble Harbour, Northumberland, on the evening of the 29th September 1969. Sergeant Moore found himself trapped in the foc’sle of the upturned vessel with two Senior Aircraftmen. They were in darkness and with the normal exit totally obstructed. There had been no time for the crew to don life-jackets or take other safety measures. Sergeant Moore instantly rose to the occasion and displayed qualities of leadership and coolness which were a magnificent example to his fellow crew. He assessed that the only means of escape was to open the foc’sle upper hatch which was then underneath them, dive downwards and then upwards, surfacing alongside the upturned hull and to hold on to it until rescued. Regardless of the danger he worked under water to clear the hatch of debris and after a strenuous effort the hatch was opened. Sergeant Moore then arranged for his subordinates to escape first. One of them left the vessel and was eventually picked up by an Inshore Rescue Boat. The other was unable to swim and Sergeant Moore twice endeavoured to dive down with him, before finally escaping himself. The air pocket in the foc’sle was diminishing but the airman chose to remain in the vessel. After escaping, Sergeant Moore managed to clamber on to the upturned hull almost exhausted. Still with complete disregard for his own safety, when he saw the coxswain some 30 yards away in serious difficulties and calling for help, he tried to clear the line on a lifebuoy that was floating alongside the vessel, intending to swim with it. As he got the line free a rescue helicopter ran in to pick up Sergeant Moore but he waved it away, directing the winchman to the coxswain, who was on the point of exhaustion. When the Amble life-boat came alongside, Sergeant Moore, knowing that an airman was still inside the Pinnace, asked for an axe to cut open the hull. As it was considered that this would release the air lock, causing the vessel to sink completely, the lifeboat coxswain decided to take the upturned hull in tow to shallow water where it was grounded and the airman eventually rescued. The Pinnace then broke
up. Throughout the accident Sergeant Moore displayed outstanding courage, fortitude and unselfishness in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Air Force.
The QUEEN has been graciously pleased to approve the following award:
Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air
L0593549 Sergeant Alan Tom JONES, Royal Air Force.
For his skill, courage and determination as winchman of the helicopter which was sent to assist crew members of a Royal Air Force Pinnace, which had capsized in heavy seas approximately one mile from Amble Harbour, Northumberland. Sergeant Jones went to the aid of the exhausted coxswain who had been washed away from the upturned hull of the Pinnace. Because of the twenty to thirty foot waves, which engulfed them both, he could not fix the rescue strop round the drowning man, but by sheer determination and unfailing will snatched him from the sea and held on to him—although he was a heavier man than himself—while being winched up to the aircraft. "

The Royal National Lifeboat Institution recognised the bravery of their own volunteers and two RN Divers during this incident with the following awards:

Bronze Medals (4) Coxswain William Henderson; crew members James Stewart, Andrew Scott* and Robert Stewart*.

Thanks of the Institution Inscribed on Vellum (5) to Second Coxswain John Connell, Acting Bowman Ronald Falcous, Mechanic Ronald Sabiston, Assistant Mechanic Hugh Matthews and Crew Member Hugh R Matthews;
Framed Letters of Thanks to the Royal Navy divers J B Sample and E Brahma.
*The awards to Robert Stewart and Andrew Scott were the first medals for a service carried out in an inshore lifeboat. Robert and Andrew were also awarded the Ralph Glister Award for the most meritorious service of the year carried out by the crew of an inshore lifeboat. (information courtesy RNLI)

The Marine Branch’s biggest loss since the end of WW2"

Last edited by hollydog; 05-05-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Forces reunited!! That lot is actually my work, so copied from our website!

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/boats_plan...ble_coquet.htm
Old 05-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Forces reunited!! That lot is actually my work, so copied from our website!

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/boats_plan...ble_coquet.htm
Its a small world, gone round in a circle! This site is growing and its difficult to keep track, I think its a story that needs to be re-told for newer members on here. Thanks for your initial hard work Coquet!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Its a small world, gone round in a circle! This site is growing and its difficult to keep track, I think its a story that needs to be re-told for newer members on here. Thanks for your initial hard work Coquet!

Janwhin's doing some nice work at the moment - 'Amble and District Mining Memorial' - Newburgh Radcliffe. [for example]
Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=Coquet;4158]Janwhin's doing some nice work at the moment - 'Amble and District Mining Memorial' - Newburgh Radcliffe. [for example][/QUOTE)

Very impressive piece of work! The subject matter is quite tragic though, especially the children mentioned

Last edited by hollydog; 05-05-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM

I've just lost a load of money.....I was betting on Alan J to be the first one to spot it
Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Sorry Jan, just come to my notice, very good and precise, must have taken some investigation on your part. When you get to Hauxley I'll be interested in some of the backgrounds to the accidents.