Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 22-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I don't know if John at the drift still visits here, but this photo of one of the Drift Dalbys might be of interest in his quest to identify fusiliers in the group photo posted elsewhere.
Can't do anything about the quality I'm afraid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dalby2.jpg (82.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 22-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Default Re L/Cpl WE Dalby

The photograph is of my Great Uncle Will Dalby. He lived in Amble all the time I can remember - Panhaven Road. He was brother to my Grandfather Johnnie and Jim, who was one of the first killed of RNF.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
The photograph is of my Great Uncle Will Dalby. He lived in Amble all the time I can remember - Panhaven Road. He was brother to my Grandfather Johnnie and Jim, who was one of the first killed of RNF.
Sorry Derilda, I knew someone messaged me about the Dalbys, thought it was John now realise it was you.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator

There is a P. Dalby in the casualty list. Is that a mistake in the newspaper or another person? [it says wounded but it might be Jim; we will get more info hopefully as we work forward with the list]
Old 23-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Default Re; Casualty Listing - P Dalby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
There is a P. Dalby in the casualty list. Is that a mistake in the newspaper or another person? [it says wounded but it might be Jim; we will get more info hopefully as we work forward with the list]
Hi Coquet. I believe there were no other Dalby families, just my Mothers immediate family, living in the area. It may be a mistake on the casualty list but, family lore is that Jim was killed outright by shell fire, on 26 April 1915. He has no known grave, named on the Gate at Ypres, which would rule out a case of 'wounded'.
Merry Xmas to everyone who comes to the forum.
Old 23-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Administrator

I've had another look and it's definitely a 'P'.
This brief list of 'Broomhill' wounded was published on the 1st May 1915. The photo of W.E. Dalby was published the following week, but I cannot find any text to go with it at the moment.
The names so far in these early issues are dominated by the wounded, but we know there are a lot of KIA as well so we will get to those later I suspect.

Old 23-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Administrator

The 'P' is a definite mistake as there is no one in the whole army with a medal index card for that name with the correct medal entitlement for 1915.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:28 PM

The Newcastle Journal of 14 June 1915 has Corporal J Dalby, of 7th Battalion NF, missing believed killed. On 11 July he is listed as wounded (Corp. J Dalby, 2397, Broomhill). And then on 18 September, the Journal reports that Corporal J Dalby, previously reported missing was now reported killed. Would this be the correct one?

It does show the confusion surrounding accurate reporting on the battlefields.

The medal roll shows a Private John Dalby 7/2397. He went to France on 21 April 1915. A Corporal James Dalby, 7/1447 was KIA.

Last edited by janwhin; 23-12-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
The Newcastle Journal of 14 June 1915 has Corporal J Dalby, of 7th Battalion NF, missing believed killed. On 11 July he is listed as wounded (Corp. J Dalby, 2397, Broomhill). And then on 18 September, the Journal reports that Corporal J Dalby, previously reported missing was now reported killed. Would this be the correct one?

It does show the confusion surrounding accurate reporting on the battlefields.
That's him.
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...DALBY,%20JAMES

We will never know for certain, but I think it's possible he has been seen to be wounded on the 26th April but never returned or picked up by some other allied unit which is why it has ended up like this. It is difficult to establish if wounded men have died out in no man's land or been taken prisoner until the Red Cross reports. If there was no witness then he should have been 'missing' from the start. It looks like the Army have been reluctant to move away from the wounded status without proof.
He would have be in the British counter attack near St Julien on this date.
If we can find the field returns for that period it would perhaps shed some light on it.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The medal roll shows a Private John Dalby 7/2397. He went to France on 21 April 1915. A Corporal James Dalby, 7/1447 was KIA.
That changes things!

are these brothers?
Old 23-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Administrator

and they are both originals out on the 20/21st
Old 23-12-2013, 10:02 PM

I can't get my head around this one, Corporal J Dalby 2397 is in the newspaper report as wounded and on the medal roll as Private John Dalby 2397.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Administrator

It still looks like the first report of James being wounded in the Gazette is the same soldier finally reported KIA in the Journal in September.

John Dalby survives the war.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Is it the rank you are concerned about on the medal index card? That's ok he could be Acting Corporal and still be shown as Private on the card.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:12 PM

On the 1911 census there are 3 brothers, John, James and William. John would be Derilda's grandfather? Perhaps he was wounded. William's number is 7/1448.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Looking for a John Dalby on the Silver War Badge roll there is a Jno. Dalby number 235012 Discharged from the Army reserve 'P' recorded via the York office, rank corporal.

I'm certain this is the same man. (SWB should be recorded on the Medal card but often they are not)

Many medically downgraded previously wounded men end up in the Labour Corps, but in our case many also end up in this "P" reserve, meaning their civilian skills are required more than any active service to the army - and they are sent home to the Collieries.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:27 PM

Hi there, as far as I'm aware, there were three Dalby boys, James, William and Johnny.
James (kia 26/04/15) is number 24 on this photo. I believe William is number 45, identified by his nephew Ronald?
Derek (Derilda?) identified Johnny as third from the left, back row, does this make Johnny number 2?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/old_photos..._fusiliers.htm

Interestingly, another descendent J T Dalby was one of the 'secret seven', in other words one of the Chevington Auxilliers in World War Two mentioned elsewhere on another thread.

There seems to be a batch of stuff relating to the Dalbys in the Woodhorn archives, one photograph which appears to include your relative Herbert Goward Janwhin?
Old 23-12-2013, 10:38 PM

I also seem to remember reading somewhere in the Gazette archives of a soldier who wrote to James Dalby's family detailing how he buried James in a makeshift grave on the battlefield? James is one of the countless thousands without a known resting place and is commemorated on the Menin Gate
Old 24-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
There seems to be a batch of stuff relating to the Dalbys in the Woodhorn archives, one photograph which appears to include your relative Herbert Goward Janwhin?
Must get to Woodhorn in the New Year. Yes John, Herbert was the bro in law's great uncle.
Well I'm off to boil me sproots in good time for tomorrow's dinner. Happy Christmas to one and all.
Old 24-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Must get to Woodhorn in the New Year. Yes John, Herbert was the bro in law's great uncle.
Well I'm off to boil me sproots in good time for tomorrow's dinner. Happy Christmas to one and all.
Yes a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all contributors on here.
Wonder what interesting facts we'll uncover about the people and places of our patch of Northumberland in 2014? Looking forward to it.