Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Interesting that Burton is advertising his new commodious premises in Bridge Street in 1899 but it looks like he took them in 1898. Morpeth Herald 5 March 1898:
"Messrs Burton and Richardson commenced the Coquetdale Mineral Water Works some years ago, and will doubtless go down in posterity as Amble's first factory. Now moved into Bridge Street formerly occupied by D M Spence, contractor.... Machinery a special feature being purchased at the London mineral water works exhibition a few months before and capable of turning out at a rate of 328 dozen an hour. Amble's splendid water supply here in evidence, purity and excellence highly prized by the firm, which took fourth place at the London Exhibition in 1896, for some of their productions."
Old 14-11-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Morpeth Herald 14 Sept 1895, Alnwick Brewster Sessions, Burton and Richardson applied for a license to sell beer on an off licence basis. Stated that B & R started business in Amble as aerated water manufacturers 2 years previously. They travelled round the country districts selling and were asked if they sold beer. Hence they decided to apply for a license. It was turned down, especially since a 200 signature petition was presented citing concerns about moral welfare
Many thanks - we have been struggling with the Morpeth Herald - trying to find things which have been listed..... searches have come up with things which bear no relevance to our requests.....
so very grateful for all the local input
M
Old 15-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Interesting you're having problems searching the Morpeth Herald. Are you using the British Newspaper Archive?

FindmyPast now have the same archive on their site which is good news if you have a subscription. Their search criteria is only by a person's name but I find if you put in say "warkworth" for first name and "harbour" for last name it does the search
Old 15-11-2012, 09:42 PM

Many thanks - tried this and found it homed in on things more accurately
Found a report that John Burton took over the licence of the Stemboat Inn in December 1896
Old 26-12-2012, 01:33 PM

Default 21 leazes st, steamboat inn

william clark{billy} lived here when he went to war in 1939, he was captured in 1942 in singapore by the japs and forced to work on the notorious thai burma railway, including the bridge on the river kwai, 2 0ut 3 died of starvation, ill treatment, disease and executions, billy passed away in 1989 aged 67..thoght he was worth a mention.
Old 27-12-2012, 11:32 AM

He was definitely worth a mention. I recall that a lot of Amble men who had fought against the Japanese were against anything that was made in Japan. My uncle was killed in Kohima and my grandmother was frantic to know how he died in case he had been captured. She even started going to seances.
Old 27-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Default Far East prisoners of war.

There was quite a large active branch of the local ex prisoners who used to meet monthly at the Dock pub in Amble. Over the years they have all died off, most of them at a relatively early age, probably due to their wartime treatment. The last remaining Amble member is Clarence Hedley who is now in his early 90's and was feature recently in the Gazette attending the poppy day wreath laying at the war memorial. Clarence was a bricklayer who, after the war, worked at Hauxley colliery then Shilbottle and Whittle in his trade, he has a great attitude to life which may be what has seen him through his tribulations.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Amble's first working men's club?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amble house.jpg (103.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 13-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Amble's first working men's club?

Interesting photo. Is any of that still standing? any idea of a date?
Old 13-01-2013, 12:49 PM

They were directly behind the bus shelter in the area where the 2/3 relatively new houses are before the end of Eastgarth Av. High st was built upto no. 47 (the terrace opposite Zecca) before Amble House was demolished as I remember it going around 1971 ish. The stable block still exists as my fathers garage and garden store, the original grooved stable floor is there in the garage part, the other half of the stables were converted into a doctors surgery in the 1930's. We found some interesting medicine bottles (empty I hasten to add) in the loft above. Google earth shows the existing block, it can be compared to old maps.
Old 13-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Default Amble House.

Remember it well, known locally as "The Kicking Cuddy" for some reason,
the last families to live in it before demolition were called Armstrong and Taylor. I remember it as being smaller than the photo, the fire damaged bit was possibly demolished leaving a size which I can remember.
Old 15-01-2013, 04:16 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000
Smile Stable block

Alan J ,looking at St Cuthberts church too the right was a house which if I remember had an arched entrance,would there have been stables there.I remember playing in there with children,possibly also you!!!
Old 15-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Church Street.

The archway you mention used to go through to Brown the builders joinery workshop which was on the first floor with storage space for timber and machinery below. It is possible ,that earlier, it may have been stables as there was a cab proprietor operating in Amble and living in that area. There is a photo of one of their rigs parked on Dilston Terrace and dated early 1900's.
Old 16-01-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Amble House.

Further to the photo of the working mens club in Amble House, there is a photo of Amble House, as I remember it before demolition, in the book "A storyof Amble" by David Wilkinson and Paul G Morrison (1985). It does not seem to be the same building , could it have been another in that area ?
Also in the same book we have a picture of an forced landing of a biplane between High and Low Hauxley "around 1906", could the date be wrong and it was actually the plane mentioned as landing in this area before WW 1.
Old 16-01-2013, 01:51 PM

The photo in the book is from the other side of the house. If you zoom in, the houses on High St to the right rear background do seem to correspond (the step down on the roof is where it should be) and part of the wall off to the right still exists (out of shot) at the back of High St right angles to the back lane.

Last edited by hollydog; 16-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 16-01-2013, 04:08 PM

Default Amble House.

Yes you are right,the High Street houses would be the Zecca side as the ones on the same side weren't built then.
Old 13-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Staemboat Inn

Please could i say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me in searching for the Steamboat Inn, for those not sure why i was searching for info about the Steamboat, is that my great grandparents ran this and the Blackbull Inn, in warkworth in the early 1900s and my grandfather Thomas Gibson was bn there, and his 2 sisters were bn in the Blackbull Inn.
So again please accept my thanks for all the help given to me.
Dave Harrison
Old 16-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Steamboat Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Please could i say a big thank you to everyone who has helped me in searching for the Steamboat Inn, for those not sure why i was searching for info about the Steamboat, is that my great grandparents ran this and the Blackbull Inn, in warkworth in the early 1900s and my grandfather Thomas Gibson was bn there,
Dave Harrison
We're making a quick visit to Amble this weekend and reviewing this forum saw you post

Grandma Burton lived in the Steamboat Inn and her brother Cecil was born there in January 1900. The family moved to Queen Street Amble in 1901 between the Census (April 2) and the birth of sister Blanche.

M
Old 24-08-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Ship Inn?

My ggg grandfather and family are recorded as living at Ship Inn Building in Amble @1871 census. Could anyone share any info on location/history please? this
Old 25-08-2013, 08:15 AM

According to the "Old Inns", on sister site Fusilier, Amble and District, it was in Church Street down past the church. Apparently this was once known as Ship Inn buildings.