Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Widdrington

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 17-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Unhappy Re: Opencast Coal mining application

It seems another company has applied for permission to start Opencast mining - AGAIN, at Widdrington. Surely, Monks, Costain, Crouch et al have all the coal. After all, they have been at it since about 1948. Dig it up, fill it in, dig it up etc.
Polution from dust, fumes, noise from machines and extra traffic all make nonsense of a statement that the community will benefit.
I fear that the serenity of Druridge is again to be put aside.
Still, I personally benefitted when the mines were reduced in number and eventually phased out completely, due in no small part because of opencast. That isn't the whole story I know, but had a bearing on it. Like many others I chose to search elsewhere for my living. However, no matter where you have been, or what you have done, home is always home and you will be back.
I wish all Northumberland the best from my 'Ivory tower' in Norfolk but I do feel that machines are again about to invade and turn part of my beloved home area upside down. In fairness, the serenity has come back, but why did it take so long?
Old 18-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Yes they are at it again, will improve the community etc., provide "x" ammount of jobs, how many local people are in this line of work now?. Not many. I don't, , off hand, know anyone in Amble, where there used to be bus loads waiting to go on both day and night shifts. Just watch they'll get the permission though.