Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Amble Cottage Hospital (15 The Wynd)

The 1891 census indicates a Cottage Hospital on The Wynd (No15)any info? I used to live a few doors away and hadn't heard of it.
Old 21-11-2018, 02:11 PM

The only references I have come across are from the 1870s when the hospital was moving from the Poor Guardians to the Rural Sanitary Authority. The Alnwick Mercury of 16 March 1872 described a report made to the Board of Guardians with a floor plan annexed (unfortunately not reproduced in the newspaper). The upper storey had two wards with good sized windows looking west. It described the situation of the hospital: the road on the west side is the public road from Warkworth, but the house is nearly the first at that side of the village; the building is not surrounded by houses, ad except for the public house, there is none within 25 yards of the hospital, and a stable and courtyard divide the hospital from the pub. The two wards are large enough for number of patients likely to need them and there were none when the Board visited. The rooms are very clean and ceilings low. Patients landed from ships did not need to be taken through Amble but could be landed on the Warkworth side close to the hospital if the tide was right, or a few hundred yards away if the tide was out. Several recommendations were made for improvements which were supported.
An earlier report from 1872 suggests that the hospital had been originally intended only for sailors coming ill off the ships, it had subsequently been used for outbreaks of fever within Amble.

Last edited by janwhin; 21-11-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Administrator

No reference that I can see on the Ordnance Survey. Only hospital that gets recorded is the later isolation hospital on the Links. If it's not on the 1901 census, then it's period of use could be from the report above (1872) to sometime prior to the Ordnance Survey data collection - 1897?
Old 22-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Administrator

That building Orange the tree surgeon uses on the Wynd is an old stable. If that is the stable mentioned in the report with the Fox and Hounds at the other side, then the old pop factory was the hospital? or in that area?
Old 23-11-2018, 01:42 PM

The building seems to be sited on the east side of the Wynd nearly at the start of Amble so I would think the pop factory site is a candidate. The 25 inch map rather confusingly put PH on the west side of the Wynd but I think that is lack of space on the map? https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...&right=BingHyb
Old 23-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Administrator

In this 1902 report there is a reference to Amble Hospital. Alnwick Council appears to be trying to get Amble councillors to take Smallpox cases into 'Amble Hospital' if the need arises. They get told where to go.

Next in that report is reference to services and a lease for a 'Smallpox Hospital' which appears to be a different building - apparently on Lawson-Smith's land. Probably proposed or under construction at this time. This must be the isolation hospital on the Links.
Old 23-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The 25 inch map rather confusingly put PH on the west side of the Wynd
Yes I agree the building labels can be 'off the mark' often on these old maps. I'm certain it (PH) refers to to the Fox and Hounds on the other side of the road. I doubt anything was on that west side plot prior to Hylton Young's house?
Old 24-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Yes I agree the building labels can be 'off the mark' often on these old maps. I'm certain it (PH) refers to to the Fox and Hounds on the other side of the road. I doubt anything was on that west side plot prior to Hylton Young's house?
I think you are right, The Fox is the building on the east side, but on the map just next to it over the lane leading to Victoria Villas is a building now gone, presumably due to the building of the two big semis between the current garage / log workshop shop and the old pub
Old 25-11-2018, 01:30 PM

I found this plan of the gas works, which can be found in the sister site's "Map Room", helpful in establishing the positions of the stables and the Fox and Hounds https://www.fusilier.co.uk/maps_plan...orks_plan.html
Old 25-11-2018, 02:39 PM

I think the location of the Fox and Hounds is quite clear and as the houses are numbered from the bottom of the the hill upwards so it must have been somewhere in the middle on the East side in the location Wynd House (currently owned by Mrs Gair formerly Mr Dunn).

The last house on the west side at the top is No 26 these were originally numbered from the Gas Works houses at the bottom.

The flats on the South East corner after Rose Cottage, which replaced the stone cottages are numbered in the high 20s.

Mr Harker the builder operated from the stables for many years but I'm not sure if the dwellings around the pop factory were considered to be on The Wynd and included in the numbering system.