Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Default DNA testing

I know a lot of people on this site are doing family research and thought I would give a thumbs up for DNA testing on Ancestry.
The results allow you to verify a relative on your family tree. The forth cousins of closer allows you to see shared DNA matches which zooms in to close cousins. I have recently found the Father of a 3rd cousin who was adopted at 3 months old and these ancestry tools allowed me to see shared DNA matches which led to her biological Father after 68 years of not knowing.
On the ‘Ancestry Member Trees’ hits you just click on their name and it tells you if you have a DNA match (if they have been tested) which immediately confirms your research.
OK it’s expensive at £99 but they have offers on when you can get it for around £70 and if you get a few kits you save an additional £10 each on postage (once you have your own you will want to test others believe me)
You can put your data on GEDmatch where all the data can be analysed in detail and I have confirmed even more branches using that site.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Gordon, after a lot of humming and hawing I finally did the Ancestry DNA test. Mostly I knew the people who were thrown up as matches but I have picked up a link to a line further back which confirms I have the correct family for my 2 x great grandfather which is great. The results in terms of origins is fascinating although it took a while to get my head round being Irish (33%) This is actually Celtic but Ireland has the best correlation being an island and less migrated to than Great Britain. Lot of Scandinavian (39%). Ancestry also match to your genetic community....funny that mine is Northern English!
One irritation though is the matches where people don't have a family tree, doesn't get you very far.
Thanks for the heads up on Gedmatch, I'll take a look.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Hi Janwhin, thanks for your input. Yes I was surprised by my Irish percentage as well and assumed it was from my Welsh side from Anglesey but have since tested my Welsh Aunt, and she is twice as ‘British’ as me & half as Irish… so many variables so I don’t pay any attention to it. If you thought your research was difficult you want to try the Welsh who have such a small name pool and also Welsh patronymics just to keep you on your toes!

The main use is the shared matches which confirm your research.

I have also tested my 3 siblings and get some interesting variations as we only get a percentage of our parents dna, with 3 siblings I have been informed that that should cover 96% of my parents dna. It would be logical that the older the dna relative the more use it would be for that particular branch.
It would be useful if a company would supply a (cheap) kit just to get a dna sample and store it in the ‘Stabilising solution’ so it is preserved for future research….(before it is lost) & have wondered if you could just spit in a tube and add some IPA or whatever the stabilising solution is and keep it in’t fridge.
Old 17-06-2017, 08:46 AM

I had mine done last year and it came out at 35% Irish 27% Scandinavian and the rest a general mix. The Irish % surprised me although my G G Grandparents came from Down in the 1860's it seemed a quite high % The Scandinavian was a complete shock.
Old 17-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Alan, it makes sense that yours is a similar mix to mine, given the Northern English genetic community. Like I mentioned the "Irish" is actually Celtic.
My husband's results have just come in today and is a bit of a surprise but he's as pleased as punch. He is basically a Londoner with bits from Suffolk, Forest of Dean, Kent, Sussex and even Northumberland. Anyway he is 86% Great Britain which is the hunter gatherers who first came into Britain when we were joined to the continent by Doggerland. Left stranded when the land bridge was submerged. His genetic community is South East England.