Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Default Radcliffe Map

Old 03-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Administrator

not much different from the earlier 1897 version except Dandsfield Place North and Dandsfield Place South are not built yet on the earlier map.
Disused colliery sits on 11 acres.

The Colliery Manager's House -"Radcliffe House" looks the prime property to have (who'd have guessed it?) Wonder if it housed the manager of Newburgh Colliery at this time?

Dandsfield Place North had a lovely pit heap at the bottom of their gardens.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

My Great Grandmothers brother Bill Summerell is shown as living at Long Row North on the 1911 Census. During WW1 he served in the local territorial battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers, went to France in June 1915 and died of wounds on the 22nd of February 1916. He is buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery Poperinge, Belgium.

Commonwealth War Graves Entry

Unfortunately his name was spelt wrong on the Radcliffe War Memorial - he is recorded on there as W. Summerville.

The family originated from the South Wales area.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I've marked in red the point where the German land mine hit on the 15th February 1942. (This location as shown in the book "The Three Villages" by Elizabeth Stewart)

Three people were killed and the church and school were destroyed.
Old 26-01-2012, 08:16 PM

I have come across a description of the rescue of Private Summerell during research for my next book... if you would be interested in reading it, its not very nice... the guy who rescued him from No Man's Land got the Military Medal for the action but the description is quite brutal, wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensitivities? Would be really interested if you have any photos of Private Summerell you would be prepared to let me use? Also, if you or any relatives don't want the story published, then that won't be a problem. Love to hear what you think, Cheers, John
Old 27-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
I have come across a description of the rescue of Private Summerell during research for my next book... if you would be interested in reading it, its not very nice... the guy who rescued him from No Man's Land got the Military Medal for the action but the description is quite brutal, wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensitivities? Would be really interested if you have any photos of Private Summerell you would be prepared to let me use? Also, if you or any relatives don't want the story published, then that won't be a problem. Love to hear what you think, Cheers, John

Hi John, no problem as far as I'm concerned with the publication. Sort of shocked and surprised that you've found some info relating to his death - I assume it's in the citation for the Military Medal - was the citation published in a newspaper at the time? (For those that don't know the "Military Medal" was a gallantry award for "other ranks", but for the WW1 issues nearly all the citations were destroyed in WW2 so it's difficult to find out what act they were awarded for - the odd citation does turn up in regimental histories or contemporary newspapers, but the majority are lost forever)

Regarding photos of William Summerell I don't have any, just one of his sister Isabel Young, née Summerell, my great-grandmother.

If you can get in touch with Colin Reid, Alnwick publican - he has "Ye Olde Cross" Inn (aka "The Dirty Bottles") in Alnwick (or he did have, think he still does) he might be able to advise if a photo exists as he is one generation closer than me, William being his great uncle.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Pretoria cottage

I have noticed on viewing the map of Radcliffe that Pretoria Cottage is shown. This was at one time the home of my grandmother. Does the cottage still stand and whereabouts in the nillage is it. I would like to see it and would be travelling from Blyth so may need directions. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
I have noticed on viewing the map of Radcliffe that Pretoria Cottage is shown. This was at one time the home of my grandmother. Does the cottage still stand and whereabouts in the nillage is it. I would like to see it and would be travelling from Blyth so may need directions. Thanks in advance.
this is that spot on google street view:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ambl...74.86,,0,12.41
Old 14-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Radcliffe Opencast Site Photograph Plan

Here's a little snippet of a plan in the possession of Hollydog. (Just a tiny part - the whole thing extends right over to the coast, Bondicar and Hauxley). The base maps are the 1:2500 or 25 inches to the mile ordnance survey. Over this is the intended boundaries of the Radcliffe opencast area. I believe the thick dotted lines are the opencast licence, with the inner lighter dotted line the working boundary (between these the baffles or topsoil banks to screen the site are shown.

Anyway, the plan is in fact the record of the pre-opencast photographic survey showing the points and directions from which the photographs were taken; these are referenced in the legend and number more than 90.

The little part below shows photo site reference 6, 7, 8 and 14. 14 appears to be an important view point being on top of the shale heap near the old Radcliffe shafts, the photographer having take a picture every 30 degrees or so, in a complete circle.

We are hoping to get some information on the existence of this series of photos, you never know we might get lucky!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pre_opencast_photos.jpg (128.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 14-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Just noticed there's a 'Pill Box' in there tucked in the side of the waste heap next to the shafts.
Old 29-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Default wow

Cant believe how much was there, Radcliffe was just stories from my stepdad, he told me that the school fell down because they were all noisy......and I believed him! I'm 35 and can just remember Craiggs buses parked by the main road, apparently they pulled Radcliffe down around about 73???
Old 15-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Having looked at that Google link, I am pretty sure that this is a bungalow where I used to babysit, aged 14/15 back in 1964/65! I lived at Radcliffe Club where my dad was steward.