Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Default 1939 Register

Don't know if anyone has seen this announcement but FindmyPast and the National Archives are working together to release the above Register in the next two years. It is a record of personal information for every individual eligible to receive an identity card and ration book. It was taken by the Government at the outbreak of WW2.
Old 31-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Administrator

I spotted the announcement yesterday on the FMP website. Excellent news, I didn't even know it existed.

We might also see the Red Cross records for WW1 online this year as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Crew Lists

I was looking on the 1939 register for one of my relatives and discovered that he was on board the Clifton Hall in Amble Harbour. A further look showed all the company boats there and the dredger, so we have the crews of the dredger, the Hauxley, the Bondicar, the Togston, the Chevington, the Amble, plus their normal residences. The Register also lists the internment camp although a lot of the names have been redacted.
What a surprise!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Pity they cut off most of the second page in their photos of the 1939 register. They had a superb record of the 1939 civil defence volunteers right under their camera and the chose to chop most of it off. Might be plenty of PhDs at the National Archives and the Genealogy companies but they are still generally stupid.

[to be fair there is generally just enough text showing to know or guess the entry]
Old 16-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Trying to sort this 1939 register out. Not sure if there is a way to browse methodically completely through a town/village.

I was going to just put the links in my browser but I know others might have an interest in this for future reference

So... findmypast have the the pages in browsable blocks.. blocks of .. 15/20 pages? we will find out.

Searching 'Amble UD' + 'Northumberland' has allegedly 3,695 results sounds about right??

I just hope the links don't die or anything.

AMBLE

1. 15 pages
Coquet Street, Lawson Street, Station Cott, Station Hotel, George Street, Bridge Street, Turner Street, Back Queen Street, Cross Street, North View, Prospect Terrace, Prospect Place, 5 Wellwood Street (Shop), Church Street, Queen Street, Dock Hotel, Police Station,

2. 20 pages
Newburgh Street, Back Newburgh Street, Percy Street, Back Percy Street, John Street, Windsor Terrace, Ivy Street, Smith Street, Henderson Street, Back Henderson Street, Leazes Street, Back Leazes Street, Broomhill Street, Lime Street, Grean Road,

3. 23 Pages.
Bede Street, Edwin Street, ?????? Road, Northumbria Terrace, Lindisfarne Road, South Avenue, Albert Street, Marks Bridge Cottage, Windmill Cottage, Woodbine Street, Acklington Road, Central Avenue, Oswald Street, Westfield, Moorehouse Farm, Moorhouse Cottages,

4. 19 Pages.
Dilston Terrace, Dovecote Street, Church Street (even?), Byron Street, Middleton Street, Avenue ??, Second Avenue, King Edward Street, Wellwood Street, Northumbria Terrace (odd?)

5. 22 Pages
Sawmills (the Wynd), The Wynd, Victoria Street, Gloster Terrace, High Street, Hallgarth, Gibson Street, Westgarth, Greensfield Terrace, Albert Street (even, mainly), Woodbine Street (odd), Eastgarth Avenue, Bede Street, (odd), Lambs Terrace, Acklington Street, Scott Street, Bisley Road, Newhall Farm, Hope House Farm, Cliffe House Dairy Farm, Dene House Farm,

I think that's the complete 'Amble'. Unless you can see a 1939 street that is not there? ...Woha! Panhaven Road, Gordon Street, Blackwood Terrace/ Street?, Coastguards?? I've a bit missing.

ok....

6. 19 Pages
Ladbroke Street, Cement Houses, Gordon Street, Marine Road, Panhaven Road, Sea View, Blackwood Street, Coastguard Station, Cliffe Houses [sic], Link End Farm, Coast Road, Island View, Cemetery Cottage, Signal Station, Link House Farm, Link House Farm Cottage, North Side, No. 16 Internment Camp, [Harbour shipping, various], Smallpox Isolation Hospital [unoccupied?], Bay View,

GLOSTER HILL

???
Old 16-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I'll stop adding those now for a bit of testing because I think the links will fail, not sure how their search results work but the URLs all look the same to me.

This is my original search:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...rland&_page=26

It is possible that search link might survive and the links will be in sequence (just as the above numbered links) down the page, taking you into each browsable block. Hard to explain but I know what I'm talking about anyway.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
The Register also lists the internment camp although a lot of the names have been redacted.
What a surprise!
No. 16 Internment Camp. I assume this is the first wartime use for the Lord Mayor's Holiday Camp? Left unredacted are female civilians, 'Army Officers Mess' Cook and Waitress, and a male, Samuel Blackbourn, Foreman of Works, War Dept.

Amble's own Concentration Camp.

If this was for enemy aliens I do hope they didn't chuck Bosun Poggi in there.
Old 19-07-2017, 10:47 PM
Administrator

CHEVINGTON DRIFT

25 inch map 1921

9 Pages
Hartside Terrace, Linhope Terrace, Farm Cottages, Miners Homes, East Chevington Farm, Simsonside Terrace
Old 19-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Administrator

NORTH BROOMHILL, SOUTH BROOMHILL, HADSTONE, WOODSIDE

25 inch Maps
South Broomhill 1921
Togston North Broomhill 1921

24 pages

High Coldriffe, Hadstone Link House, Link House Red Row, Hadstone South Broomhill, Hadstone Farm Cottages, Hadstone Farm Broomhill, Woodside Dairy Red Row, Woodside Red Row, Royal Air Force Aerodrome, Broomhill Farm Broomhill, Broomhill Farm Cottages, Cross Row Broomhill, Post Office S. Broomhill, Hadstone Row Broomhill, Middle Row S.Broomhill, North Row South Broomhill, Young's Blds Broomhill, Bungalow S. Broomhill, Cooperative Cottage South Broomhill, Central House Broomhill, Equitable House Broomhill, The Hostel Broomhill School, School House Broomhill, Bethel Cottage Broomhill, Sea View Broomhill, Barties Town Broomhill, Coronation Terrace, Pasture House Broomhill, Manor House Broomhill, Reading? Cottage Broomhill, Office Hse Broomhill, West View Broomhill, ?????ton Hse Broomhill, Warkworth Ter Broomhill, Eage? Hill (Mill?) Broomhill, Station Hotel Broomhill, Station Road Broomhill, Turnbull's Bla Broomhill, Park View Broomhill, Police Station Broomhill, Stone Row Broomhill, Six Cottages Broomhill, School Row Broomhill, Railway Row N. Broomhill, Felstead? North Broomhill, Store Cottages Broomhill, Bee Hive Cottage Broomhill, Store House Broomhill, Co-operative Blds Broomhill, Towns?? Crossing Broomhill,
Old 24-06-2018, 06:38 PM

Hi, Just seen your message about my great great grandad Oreste Poggi; I can confirm he wasn't send to a concentration camp and was a British citizen at the time
Old 24-06-2018, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamariepri View Post
Hi, Just seen your message about my great great grandad Oreste Poggi; I can confirm he wasn't send to a concentration camp and was a British citizen at the time
I'm really glad to hear it! He probably sailed the colliers with my grandfather and great grandfather on occasions.
Old 21-07-2017, 06:27 PM

I am interested to know that you have the record for the Ships of the Harbour. I am interested as my father George William Bailes was the engineer on the dredger and he does not appear with the rest of his family on the register. Can you point me to the record. Thanks , Bob Bailes rkbailes@talktalk.net
Old 21-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailbob View Post
I am interested to know that you have the record for the Ships of the Harbour. I am interested as my father George William Bailes was the engineer on the dredger and he does not appear with the rest of his family on the register. Can you point me to the record. Thanks , Bob Bailes rkbailes@talktalk.net
The Merchant Navy men are concentrated across two pages, 16 and 17 in this set of 19 pages. Ships and most home addresses noted. I assume these men are on their ships on the day the register was drawn up. Other crew members appear to be at their home addresses. William Smith is the only one without his home address noted.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:07 PM

Now on Ancestry!