Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Default Military Awards

You know that big hole in the British Newspaper Archive? well I think it's starting to get filled in: Newcastle Journal 2 Dec 1916;
"An Amble Hero
Military Medal presented by Sir Thomas Oliver" Description of award to Private Ditchburn.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Administrator

That's great news Janwhin. That will keep me occupied.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Have we seen Ditchburn yet? Well, here he is:

AG 2/9/1916

Amble.
Honour to an Amble Soldier
The friends of Private Ditchburn have naturally been delighted to hear of the honour that has been conferred upon him at the front, having awarded to him the Military Medal. This is the fourth or fifth decoration that has been bestowed on an Amble man. Private Ditchburn joined the Northumberland Fusiliers early in the war, and has now been for some time in the trenches and has taken part in the big push. All hope that he may be spared to come home again at the end of the war. A right royal welcome awaits at the hands of the Amble Heroes Fund as well as the people of Amble.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Administrator

The Red Cross should have some info on 20/743 Robert Ditchburn as I see he was a prisoner of war.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:16 AM

This Ditchburn is in one of my family trees so I can give you a little bio on him.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
This Ditchburn is in one of my family trees so I can give you a little bio on him.

Yes please do.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Default Ditchburn and the 5th NF

Regarding Ditchburn's capture, The 50th Division, of which the 5th NF was part of, had taken over from a French Division in early May 1918 to the north of the River Aisne. This period was marked by the major German offensive which had begun in March. The renewed attack that began on the 27th of May was the start of what became known as the third Battle of the Aisne. The 50th Division was pretty much destroyed here - large numbers of men captured and even Northumberland Artillery units being outflanked and going in the bag, Colonels and all.
The 5th NF in reserve at the start advanced, but were caught in heavy artillery and machine gun fire - repeatedly outflanked they were eventually reduced to just a handful.

The German records with the Red Cross show Didtchburn was captured on the 27th at Berry au Bac, and he was wounded in the the right arm at the time. I've added below the map for the area just prior to the offensive on the 27th. You can see Berry au Bac on the river Aisne, and if you follow the river west you will find the 5/NF, in reserve, near a place called Pontavert.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Administrator

He started his war with the Tyneside Scottish, but transferred to the 5th Battalion at some point. He's wearing the Tyneside Scottish badge in the photo.

The Germans have his date of birth as 7.2.87

The German prisoner of war camp he was in was Stendal
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Here's a chap on the Amble memorial that perhaps should have got the Military Medal but got a sniper's bullet instead:

Amble Soldier Sniped.
The many friends of Private Alfred Dunn, Northumberland Fusiliers will regret to learn of his death. He was 20 years of age, and has given his all for his country.
Private R.S.Charlton writing to the widow of Private Dunn states that he was shot by a sniper. He did splendid work. He had heard that Private Dunn was bringing in a wounded soldier when he was shot. Already two men had been picked off in trying to do the same. The greatest sympathy is felt with his widow Mrs Alfred Dunn, Queen Street, Amble, and his parents Mr and Mrs Dunn, Albert Street, Amble. 2/9/1916

('William Alfred' on the memorial)
Old 30-03-2021, 06:09 PM

Just noticed this posting on Robert Ditchburn and wondered if this could possibly be my grandfather on my dadas side. He was Robert Ditchburn of Marks Row Amble Northumberland. He was born Amble in 1887 to William James Ditchburn and Robina Murray. He served with the Tyneside Scottish as I have been told. He and his family (wife Georgina Chrisp) including my dad in 1927 immigrated to Alberta Canada, I have never heard of he being a POW and or injured in WW! however the wars were not discussed in our homes. I do know that Robert (my grandfather) only had one arm and I'm not quite sure for how long however. Roberts son Kenneth Aymer Ditchburn is listed on the Amble Memorial as he was KIA Italy 1944. Kenneth was born in Amble in 1914. Also do you have any info on a William Nicholas Murray who served with the Northumberland Fusiliers 35 Albert St. Amble. He would have been around the same age as Robert and a cousin on his mothers Murrays. Any info would be great. Thanks for your time, Cheers Georgina Ditchburn Stoesz
Old 04-04-2021, 01:20 PM

Hi Gina, Yes Robert Ditchburn is the son of William and Robina. Left England in 1927 bound for Canada, died in Innisfail in 1973.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:54 AM

Sorry to bother you again however just today I found some documentation on a Private Robert Ditcburn also having been gassed in November 1917. It states that he was from Amble and was blinded and lost his speech one top of being wounded. It states that after 10 days his sight and speech gradually returned. Is this possible also my grandfather?? What do you think? I know he was my grandfather but war was never discussed and there is no-one remaining that would have anymore information. However my cousin, Roberts grandson is 81 and still alive and perhaps may have more information. On my next trip back to Alberta I will try to make contact with him. Thanks for listening. Cheers and Lest we forget! Georgina Margaret Ditchburn Stoesz.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:59 AM

Also Janwhin. I was wondering how my grandfather is related to you. I think you mentioned on some post that he was in your family tree!

Tags
27th may 1918, chemin des dames, military medal, northumberland fusiliers, stendal pow camp, third battle of the aisne, tyneside scottish