Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Alnmouth, Lesbury and Hipsburn

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-06-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Robert Davison

While doing some research, I came across a Robert Davison who was killed in action 08/10/1918 serving in the 1st Bttn Northumberlands. His place of residence is given as 'Spylo', and I wondered if this could be a phonetic rendering of 'Spy Law' (which would make him a local lad).
Any info?
Old 14-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

It's a difficult one, I see the entry in 'soldiers died in the great war' has the 'Spylo' reference, but he's not on the Alnmouth War Memorial. Might be worth checking through the absent voters lists on the site, (or Woodhorn for the rest) as he is a late enough casualty to be on them.

Now how do you like bizarre coincidences? I too have exactly the same problem with a soldier killed in the great war - wait for it - Private Robert Davison of the Northumberland Fusiliers! mine was assumed killed 14th November 1916 with the 7th Battalion.

I got the death certificate for mine to reveal his age (20) but it hasn't helped to positivley identify him, or where he was from.

Probably the best route for both these Robert Davisons is the obituary notices from the time in the north east newspapers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davison_death.jpg (90.4 KB, 13 views)