Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 30-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Very interesting stuff Coquet, thankyou
The gunboat must have been moored in the river near by the granary just upriver from the current end of the Braid as it was within hailing distance. Tragic how that 1/2 mile stretch of road seems to continually claim lives upto the present day.
The road in those days would have been prone to flooding at spring tides and when the river was in flood, the braid being a series of mudbanks and gulleys long before it became the tip / ballast spoil area and landscaped as it is now.
Old 30-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Administrator

It does seem to have had more than its fair share of tragedies over the years.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Interesting piece in the newspaper report about Beal Bank Gate and the Lock Up, somewhere on the Warkworth side of the old granary, which we've mentioned before, I think.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Warkworth Burial Register, November 20, 1864:

George Watson of Amble aged 18 years: William Simpson of Hauxley aged 44 years.

On the 1861 census, William, a fisherman, is living at South Link, Hauxley, with his wife, Margaret and three children. He was born in Horsley.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Interesting piece in the newspaper report about Beal Bank Gate and the Lock Up, somewhere on the Warkworth side of the old granary, which we've mentioned before, I think.
That building still exists at the bottom of Beal Bank on the roadside?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
That building still exists at the bottom of Beal Bank on the roadside?
Ah... I just clicked, wondered what that was on about - that building was the Warkworth police station at one time?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

Old lock
up was cottage on left side of road past the council compound on Beal Bank!
Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Administrator

This map was surveyed in 1864 so rather appropriate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warkworth_police_station.jpg (53.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Thats it ! now part of the Farm Cottage
Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Is that the farm cottage with all the lovely flowers outside?

And there's that Goose Island again!!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Is that the farm cottage with all the lovely flowers outside?

And there's that Goose Island again!!
Yes Dave always has a lovely show
Old 18-10-2014, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Transcriptions for the beach road cemetery now up, page a bit rough at the moment and photos to add.
Old 18-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Phew, nice one Coquet
Old 18-10-2014, 02:23 PM

One of your inscriptions is about Lionel Bootiman a freestone quarryman killed in 1906. This family lived next door to my grandparents in Dial Place and Lionel's daughter was a witness at their wedding in Newcastle in 1899. My great grandfather who was also in the household was a freestone quarryman too.

Morpeth Herald, 28 April 1906:

"While loading a waggon last week in Edlingham Quarry, the sudden breaking of a steam crane resulted in the death of Lionel Bootiman of Warkworth, and dreadful injuries to another man named Harry Hornsby. An inquest was held at Edlingham Quarry before Mr Charles Percy, coroner. - Thomas Bootiman, son of the deceased, stated that his father was a foreman quarryman at Sparlaw Quarry, Edlingham, and was 50 years of age. - Jas. Hedley Thompson deposed that he was crane driver and was loading a waggon with the crane. He had three stones on, and was just going to put the fourth on when the deceased asked him to bring the stone back on to the banker. He did so. He took the jib out again, and then heaved off the hauling on the burden rope. He was doing this when he heard a crack, and something fell down. He shouted "Watch out!" The metal work was then flying all ways. The crane jib fell on the deceased and killed him. The brackets of the crane gave way. He could not say what broke, as the crane seemed to be all right up to that moment. The jib, he thought, was broken in falling, not before. He also thought that the breaking of the brake caused the drum to fall away from the mast. - A verdict of accidental death was returned."
Old 18-10-2014, 05:16 PM

Default James Burn died 1867

Now this story is going to be serialised A monumental inscription refers to the death of James Burn, aged 28, in 1867, and his wife, Elizabeth Margaret, died 1869 aged 32. Elizabeth is in my family tree, the cousin of my great grandmother, Theodosia Henderson.

James, as a child, inherited a serious fortune when his father James Grieve Burn of Warkworth died. This James G was a wealthy man who married well. His father was Samuel Burn, a former mayor and Collector of Customs at Berwick (there is a marble plaque in St Lawrence). In 1818 he rebuilt No5 Castle Hill, referred to by Pevsner as the best early 19th century house on the street. The Victoria County History refers to it as having a stone balustrade on the top and "displays greater architectural pretension than its neighbours."

Unfortunately James G and his wife were childless. Yes, I know, I said James inherited from his father! James G died in 1845 and his wife in 1850. HOWEVER, the gentry have their ways.

In Edinburgh in 1837, a child, James, was baptised, the son of James Grieve Burn Esq and Jane Muers, both of the parish of Warkworth. The Muers were a respectable middle class family in Warkworth.

James Junior was left behind in Scotland in the care of Thomas and Jane Ferrier, where he appears in the census.

to be continued
Old 18-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Administrator

I can add the pictures

It's leaning over by 15 degrees. I know that because that's how far I had to rotate the picture to get it vertical. Yes it's a nice one, money there. Carry on.

Old 18-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Default Chapter 2

The will of James Grieve Burn appointed William Muers (uncle) and Henry Henderson (husband of his aunt) guardians of James Burn until he reached the age of 21.

James' next appearance is at his wedding in Edinburgh on 11 September 1860 to his cousin, Elizabeth Margaret Henderson, daughter of Henry, postmaster at Warkworth. James gives his address as Newton Villa, Shilbottle. Their marriage certificate state that they are cousins.

In 1861 the young couple have settled into marital bliss at Newton Villa, bolstered by wealth and the security of genteel relations nearby, Hendersons and Muers. All pillars of the community. A daughter is born, Anna, in 1861.

The Journal of Robert Howitt, Warkworth shoemaker shows a different picture. He records the death of James in 1867:
"Poor fellow, he was left with something like £400 a year, he married a canny body for a wife and with a comfortable house to live in, no happier man might have been found in Warkworth parish. But alas, for the world's happiness, he took to drink, got the habit, drank deeper, until at last they attempted to keep it from him. He would weep like a child, for the last few weeks he has never been sober, taking no meat but being fed whisky with a spoon."

Howitt was not content with this description of James' decline. He went on to say: "Flesh and blood could not stand this long. he died this morning, only 29 years old, what a death, oh what a warning. And yet at his burial some of them were found who were overcome with the same cursed stuff. What madness, what folly."

James Burn's death certificate gave the cause of death as "exhaustion from excessive use of stimulants for 2 1/2 years."

He left a young wife and a 6 years old daughter, his estate being left to Elizabeth, his widow.

Is that enough for one family, afraid not.

to be continued
Old 20-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Is he saying the mourners were intoxicated around the grave-side?
Old 20-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Chapter 3

After the death of James, his wife and daughter lived in Warkworth. However, family life did not settle down. Elizabeth died on 4 January 1869 of phthisis, a common killer, now known as pulmonary tuberculosis. She was aged 32 and had been suffering from this wasting disease for 15 months.

Elizabeth had made her will, a few months before, no doubt anticipating her death and it was witnessed by the vicar and her doctor. Her daughter Anna, only 7 years old, was to be under the care of Elizabeth's widowed mother, Margaret Henderson ( nee Muers) and her bachelor brother, Henry Henderson. Unfortunately they died in 1874 and 1875. Anna passed to the care of her maternal aunt, Anna Margery, who was married to one of the Millers, a well known farming family of Warkworth. The Burn family home in Warkworth was to be retained for the future use of Anna. Newton Villa was rented to tenants.

The will of Elizabeth also remembered a faithful woman, Mrs Jane Ferrier, widow, of Scotland, the former carer of James Burn. She was to be given an annual annuity for life of £10.

The will of Elizabeth also stipulated that Anna's inheritance was to be retained in trust so that any future husband would have no entitlement to it. Bitter experience perhaps.

Did Anna live happily ever after........sadly no. But that's a different story.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Default John and Sarah Ann Claxton

I was looking through this impressive list and came across this inscription. I have been researching my family tree for some time which includes the Claxton family from Norfolk who came to Amble sometime in the 1850s. I was trying to find out about a John Claxton master mariner when I found his name in the Maritime Memoriall with the memorial number M4715. This gives the location as St. Lawrence's Church Warkworth. It has all the same information as in your transcription and the dates for Sarah Ann are 6th Jan 1869 aged 57. Hope this of some interest. Can someone please tell me if this Sarah Ann is the same Sarah Ann living at Amble in 1861 with her 3 sons John, Robert and Jonas John and Robert mariners. Elizabeth, John's wife was Elizabeth Barry born at Whitby.

Anne