Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-08-2023, 02:46 PM

Default Hay family at Chevington Drift

My grandfather George Hay lived at 16 Hedgehope, Chevington Drift and was killed at Stobswood colliery in 1929. His wife was called Mary. His eldest son John Thomas married Margaret Conroy and lived at 20 Simonside. His daughter Ethel married John Todd and they lived at 24 Linhope. They had a son George Todd who was killed in the 2nd World War.

My Gt Granfather William Charles also lived at the Drift from around 1901 to his death in 1907. He had 9 children.

Some of the descendants of the my family are Leslie Hay (lived at Red Row), Lizzie Rutter (who I met in the 1970s) and Andrew Simpson (died in 1976). I've attached a photo of the drift taken in 1977 just before it was demolished.
Hoping that someone may have further information on the Hays at the Drift. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevington Drift no 2 cropped.jpg (77.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-08-2023, 06:24 PM

Welcome to the forum.
What a great picture. I remember the Drift, my grandparents ( Tasker & Smart) lived there for many years before moving to Widdrington Station.
I'm sure someone on the forum will have information on your family.