Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Local History

Hiya, Having been brought up in Alnmouth, Amble & Shilbottle, I have always had an interest in Local History, however I found this Site when I came across Gloster Hill @ Amble, so now I am intrigued as to why it is called Gloster Hill? I am also currently interested in seeing if anybody out there has any old picture from the 70's on the Northumberland Army Cadets, especially Amble. Oh, Church or Chapel Hill Alnmouth, I seem to recall it as Chapel Hill, anybody know? Thanks in Advance, Kind Regards, Gordon "Ginge" Mather

Last edited by 28/LXI; 22-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 23-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hi Ginge, willkommen.
Regarding Gloster Hill name, it's nothing to do with the 2nd battalion Gloucestershire regiment.

The Romans had some sort of camp up there, but I doubt the name would have a origin of that age.
Old 23-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Administrator

They've just started ground work on more houses on Gloster Hill, or near it anyway, the field between Mariners View and the Cemetery:

That view above is from the Mariners View end. There is a small gap between two houses where I am standing to take the photograph, this point appears to be destined to be the access road to the new estate?
You can just see the tops of West Cemetery headstones behind the fence in the distance.

This is the site plan on the council website:
https://publicaccess.northumberland....fKOXncJ8BzevNC
Old 23-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Administrator

There's some material getting piled up at the west end of Gloster Hill Farm as well. Not sure where that is coming from:

Old 23-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Top soil along the fence line to the cemetery:

Old 23-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Gloster Hill Farm Buildings looking a bit shabby from the cemetery. Destined for demolition anyway I think.
Did they have a fire? timber looks burnt:

Old 23-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Old 23-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Administrator

This is that little gap in Mariners View to become the access road to the new houses photographed from the cemetery with the long lens.

Old 23-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Administrator

This is the new housing estate at Warkworth, opposite the school, photographed from Gloster Hill.

Old 23-03-2018, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Gates to Gloster Hill House. Burnt down one Sunday in January 1759 while the owners were at church.

Old 23-03-2018, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Ye Olde farm buildings, Gloster Hill. All to be demolished I think to make way for yet more housing.

Old 23-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Administrator

This spot at the foot of Gloster Hill is set for development as well I think:

Old 23-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Over to Alnmouth:
Here's a couple of 18c engravings of the ruins of St Waleric's Chapel at Alnmouth 'Church Hill':

Old 23-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Administrator

another, later, less structure remaining:

Old 23-03-2018, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Here's an interesting pre-conquest cross found near the ruins in 1789:

Old 27-03-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Gloster Hill

Wow T, U have been busy, thanks!

With regards to Gloster Hill, I thought it might have been something from Korea as both the RNF & the Gloucestershire Reg't 28/LXI were there. I know the old Roman name for Gloucester was Glevum. I will have an ask about and see if anybody knows the origins of Gloster, I just thought it was an abbreviation of Gloucestershire (Glo'ster). Nice pics thanks, I think I must have only been up Gloster Hill once or twice!

Lovely Old drawings of Chapel Hill (I don't know as to why I keep calling it Chapel, or is that what we used to call it in Alnmouth?)
They remind me of the drawings I done for our Local History at School, what was the name of the Teacher, was he the Head Master? I used to spend lots of time transiting Chapel Hill on route to Volcano Hill, did I ever take you there? I'm sure the last time I went the sea had managed to get in & subsequently washed it away.

What about Amble Army Cadets, you know anybody that would have some old pics? I don't have any pics from when I was a Kid, I didn't get a Camera until I joined the Army.

You still got the Smarts Marble Bottle? I had to buy another years ago, it cost me a fortune!

Thanks Again
Laters
Ginge / Mav / Mavie
Old 29-03-2018, 11:12 AM
Administrator

No sure about cadet photos. Someone must have something! Did you lot have regular group photos taken? Where was the HQ? I seem to recall South Broomhill Parish Hall? - Someone bought that and converted it into a house. Amble Drill hall also converted now I believe.

What do you know about the earlier history of the cadets in the neighbourhood?
Did you wear the RRF cap badge?
Old 29-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Administrator

My Allotment neighbour joined the RNF for his National Service but got transferred to the Duke of Wellington's. Sent to Korea and fought at the 'Hook' etc. Not a cadet but a member of the Amble Life Boys as a youngster. They had a hut on the short road to Amble Braid, past the Post Office. I've just found this from July 1939:

caption reads: On Sunday morning the recently formed 'Life Boys', the Junior Reserve of the 1st Amble Company of the Boys' Brigade, paraded to Amble St. Cuthberts Church for the enrolling service, and picture shows the Life Boys lined up on parade after the service, under the command of Leader-in-Chief Miss Alice Roland (left) and other leaders in the rear (right)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life boys.jpg (63.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 29-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Administrator

That image above must be Church Street opposite the church. Ballantyne's building furthest top right corner. That wall on the left must have been removed for the bus stop?
Old 30-03-2018, 06:51 AM

The Army cadets at Broomhill had their hut between the Parish Hall and the first semi, I haven't looked recently but I think it is still there and there is a detachment in existence still. I was a member there in 1956/57.