Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter1950 View Post
it was willie falkous the scrapman jimmy was his brother lived at the drift
I couldn't remember if it was willie or jimmy and went for jimmy! Thanks for clearing that up
Old 21-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Default Historic garage

Someone broke a 90yr old window in the garage, the shop was still for sale when I took this last week, must have seen me taking an interest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 006 crop.jpg (79.4 KB, 98 views)
Old 21-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Another garage

This was a garage, my father bought two cars from here in the 50s, can`t remember the owners name, should make them listed buildings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 012.jpg (51.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 21-11-2013, 08:23 PM

I was always intreagued by the greenhouse built on top of a garage on the left as you came up the bank into Red Row. Is it still there?
Old 21-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
This was a garage, my father bought two cars from here in the 50s, can`t remember the owners name, should make them listed buildings
They should. There's virtually nothing left like that anywhere. A nice coat of paint and it would be quite eye-catching.
Old 21-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Someone broke a 90yr old window in the garage, the shop was still for sale when I took this last week, must have seen me taking an interest
Some of the windows in the first floor over the shop were out a few years back but I see it's had whole new windows fitted.
Old 21-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
I was always intreagued by the greenhouse built on top of a garage on the left as you came up the bank into Red Row. Is it still there?
Think it is but I see the Primrose Hall has gone
Old 22-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
The building was Red Row County Primary school. They tried, and failed, to educate me there for four years. In 1955 they released me on the general public and I got a job at Broomhill Colliery. That wasn't a clever move either.
They released me in 1965 when i failed my 11+ Sent me to south broomhill sec,for the next 4 years.
Old 22-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Default Cinema

Another tin building but long gone. Where did this need to build in tin come from
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture Hall Red Row.jpg (46.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 23-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Another tin building but long gone. Where did this need to build in tin come from
Saw a fair few films in there early 60s,bought my first pint in the grey arms,well some one went to the bar for me as i still had a few years to go till i could buy my own.
Old 23-11-2013, 08:57 AM

When my dad and his brother were kids they were thrown out of the picture hall for loosening the screws in the backs of the seats. In revenge they went and got a load of veg which was stacked outside the greengrocer and rolled them down the roof so no-one could hear the picture
The policeman told their sister that the trouble with my dad was "he had the face of an angel"
Old 23-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Saw a fair few films in there early 60s,bought my first pint in the grey arms,well some one went to the bar for me as i still had a few years to go till i could buy my own.
Used to drink rum & blacks and listen to "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro on the jukebox, I got over it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grey Arms Hotel 2.jpg (42.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 24-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Talking Primrose Hall

Used to go to Friday night dance in Primrose Hall when stationed at RAF Acklington (1963 to 1965) Happy times!
Old 24-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rintymo View Post
Used to go to Friday night dance in Primrose Hall when stationed at RAF Acklington (1963 to 1965) Happy times!
Was Primrose hall the Buffs club?Down near falcouses yard,remember the brick club and the comrades club where my father used to frequent.are these places still alive and kicking?
Old 25-11-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Was Primrose hall the Buffs club?Down near falcouses yard,remember the brick club and the comrades club where my father used to frequent.are these places still alive and kicking?
I though the dance was at the Buffs but my brother put me right. Primrose Hall which is a house now was in front of the Buffs (recent photo) attached. Brick Club looks like it`s still open but Comrades shut, wonder if the Brick club has any old photos and photos of RAF Acklington seem rare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 011.jpg (56.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 25-11-2013, 12:48 PM

Default Acklington Spitfire

[QUOTE=borderlad;3092]
Quote:
Was Primrose hall the Buffs club?Down near falcouses yard,remember the brick club and the comrades club where my father used to frequent.are these places still alive and kicking?[
I though the dance was at the Buffs but my brother put me right. Primrose Hall which is a house now was in front of the Buffs (recent photo) attached. Brick Club looks like it`s still open but Comrades shut, wonder if the Brick club has any old photos and photos of RAF Acklington seem rare
Only one I have, used to cycle up there and watch the Jet Provosts take off right next to the road, remember there were a few crashes early 60s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acklington Spitfire copy.jpg (47.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 25-11-2013, 12:55 PM

I was at a wedding reception at the Brick Club, last year, so it is still going.
Old 25-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Grey Arms, was severely damaged by fire late 1993 and subsequently had to be demolished as it was beyond repair even though it was classified as a listed building.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:21 PM

Default The Willows

Least I think they were called the Willows, a row of houses on the right down the Drift road. May be one left standing. These seemed very old houses. Edna and Dan McKenzie lived in one before moving to Bondicar Rd. Hadston. I have put a photo of his brothers on the Broomhill Colliery thread. I think Dan was in the army WW2 at Dunkirk. Was there a pit at Red Row
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Market place Red Row.jpg (39.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 25-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Default Re Pit at Red Row

Quote:
Least I think they were called the Willows, a row of houses on the right down the Drift road. May be one left standing. These seemed very old houses. Edna and Dan McKenzie lived in one before moving to Bondicar Rd. Hadston. I have put a photo of his brothers on the Broomhill Colliery thread. I think Dan was in the army WW2 at Dunkirk. Was there a pit at Red Row
No pit at Red Row Borderlad, but there was a man drift entry just at the east end of The Willows. My memory is lacking any detail really but I did go down that one a couple of times. It was a second route into the Southside area of Broomhill Colliery. It linked with the areas men worked in who entered at The Drift. Some on this site have maps of various seams and workings and may be able to put some meat on my bones of a description. It wasn't worked in my time but may have been pre-war, and coals mined sent to the shaft bottom.
Late addition. Re the origins of Red Row, did the village not evolve from coal being mined at Maidens Hall, just a short walk from the village down the track that went between the Co-op and Primrose Hall and The Buffs? It wasn't a small operation as far as I can see, with aerial roadway etc. (As discussed by Coquet in an earlier thread

Last edited by Derilda; 28-11-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Further information added.