Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default Newton Hall Colliery

Busy transcribing Monumental Inscriptions from St James Church Shilbottle:

Spotted this reference to "Newton Hall Colliery" which is a mine I've not heard of before:

Underneath are interred the mortal remains of Edward Crisp of Newton Engine Lodge, who after 33 years of industrious service as Banksman at Newton Hall Colliery died 23 Feb 1833 aged 58 years. Also of his Mother in Law, Mary Guthrie of Newton, who died Nov 1 1831 aged 81 years. Also William Guthrie who died March 15 1844 aged 93 years.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Thats a cracking inscription for anyone researching their family tree. A quick look at the igi takes you straight back to 1750.Wish my lot had been so considerate.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Never came across Newton Hall colliery either. Interesting that there was a colliery there c1800. Thats earlier than i would have thought for steam engines.
Just had a quick look on the national archives website and there are records for Newton Hall associated with the name Headley. Another sidetrack!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Hi Pete, I think that stone and the following two must have been paid for by the Newton Hall Widdrington/Cook dynasty, as they seem to conform and are about the same age:

Here were interred the mortal remains of James Robinson, who after six months lingering illness borne with exemplary patience, died at Newton Hall Oct 10th 1835, in the 21st year of his age, and in the domestic service of the Revd Joseph Cook, to which he entered in his 13th year.

As a just tribute of respect due to his memory, it is proper to record that his excellent conduct in his station, as well from his steady and faithful attention to every duty committed to him, as from his well regulated disposition, he gained the esteem and respect not only of his four surviving brothers, but of his attached employer and of every one who knew him.

Here were interred the Mortal remains of Mr. John Tate, who after upwards of eleven years zealous and faithful service as Butler to the Revd Jos Cook, died at Newton Hall June 12, 1833 aged 54, Deepley lamented by his surviving relatives, and deservedly respected by all who knew him.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

I think Shilbottle has the most well preserved and maintained gravestones (although Felton looks good - we shall see this summer when I do that one)

Regarding Shilbottle -at least they have chosen the maintenance route rather than casting the stones down or propping them against the wall. (notice the recent cement at the base of the stones in the photograph)
Old 08-01-2011, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=Coquet;225]Hi Pete, I think that stone and the following two must have been paid for by the Newton Hall Widdrington/Cook dynasty, as they seem to conform and are about the same age:

I think you're right, they certainly differ from the ones i encounter.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I think Shilbottle has the most well preserved and maintained gravestones (although Felton looks good - we shall see this summer when I do that one)

Regarding Shilbottle -at least they have chosen the maintenance route rather than casting the stones down or propping them against the wall. (notice the recent cement at the base of the stones in the photograph)
Felton churchyard must have been tidied since last i was there. It was very overgrown and a lot of stones were over.
Good to see Shilbottle is being maintained. Now we're all one council, perhaps the rest will be too.
Old 13-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default Jane Weatheritt

Beyond the headstones; a Shilbottle tragedy:

On Saturday the 8th instant, an inquest was held at Shilbottle; near Alnwick, before Thomas Adams Russell, Esq., coroner, on the body of Jane Weatheritt, a fine girl, aged eleven years, the daughter of Luke Weatheritt, of that place, carter. On the Monday afternoon preceding, the deceased, with several other children, was playing beside a metal roller, which was standing in a field, on the side of a hill, considerably inclined, and the children having succeeded in starting the roller, were unable to control it or stop it again, and the deceased being in front of it, was run over by it, and so severely crushed in the head and body, that she died from the effects of the injuries she sustained on the Friday morning following. Verdict—Accidental death.

[The Newcastle Courant Friday, May 14, 1852]

[St James' Churchyard Shilbottle]
Old 14-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Newton Hall Colliery

The County History mentions pits at Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor in the geology section.
Durham Mining Museum has info on Newton Colliery with a Hunter Pit sunk in 1835. The coordinates seem to suggest that it wasn't far from where Whittle eventually started operating.
Never heard of it before though.