Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 31-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Default Fire at Red Row

While searching for something completely different I came across an advertisement in the Morpeth Herald of 9 January 1942 taken out by T Allan (the shop?)

"To the General Public of Red Row, Broomhill & District
I desire to thank all who so willingly helped to check the disastrous Fire which occurred at Market Place, Red Row, on December 22nd 1941.
Also to the A.R.P., Home Guard, R.A.F., and other Fire-Fighting Services who put up such a brave, unselfish fight. I beg to record my deepest appreciation for all their endeavours."

Does anyone remember this particular fire and was it Allan's premises?
Old 31-12-2013, 04:30 PM

I seem to remember hearing 'old' Mrs Allan, who would have been quite young in 1942, I imagine, knocked over an oil lamp, causing three premises to be destroyed. The three rebuilt premises are apparent as they stand not quite flush with the other dwellings in Market Place. One of the new buildings was later the home of the Nardini family I believe.

Happy New Year to all at C & C xx
Old 31-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Re; Fire at Red Row

A bit before I started taking notice, but, if the message is from Tommy Allan then his son Bob, who lives at South Broomhill with his wife Janet, should be able to confirm. Anybody living close by could confirm.
Old 31-12-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
I seem to remember hearing 'old' Mrs Allan, who would have been quite young in 1942, I imagine, knocked over an oil lamp,
You're right John, I've just discovered an article about a case for damages brought against the Allans in 1943. Richard and Clara Hudson owned the fish and chip shop which was burnt out and brought a claim against the Allans. The case was that the fire originated in Allan's Stationery and Fancy Goods shop. Mrs Allan was leaning over to put money in the till when she upset an oil stove which quickly spread a fire through the two shops and living premises above.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:38 PM

Default redrow fire

I went to see the fire at redrow we walked from Bartiestown to redrow passing the large watertank at the hebron hall that was placed their for the war and the water was used to fight the fire later they sounded the alarms to clear the crowds of onlookers and we were taken down the drift at the willows for safety I also worked on building of the three houses in 1953/4