Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Default John Trobe

Hi folks. My great grandfather John Trobe was a local agricultural worker, born at Sturton Grange and living at Hartlaw until getting the call up for WW1 in 1917. He was transferred to the Hallamshire regiment on arrival in France and was blown up at Passendalle within 2 months of being there. He is buried at Poperinge. This site has been very helpful in finding out more about the lives of his family pre call up.
I have witten a document re his life that I hope will be published on the forum.
One thing that members could help me with, however, is tracing his war medals and cards that he sent from the front. All these were lost on the death of one of of my cousins. The articles were earmarked for a collecters' sale that I was going to bid on but the auction house end up putting them in a general lot that was picked up for a pittance. Luckily the family still has some of the other letters he sent back home, but his medals, war plaque and cards were all lost to us. It is a bit of a long shot, but of anyone comes across anything related to him I would be most grateful to know.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Interesting story, Mike. Hope we see your document soon on the forum. Are you related to the Trobes who lived in Melrose Gardens, Amble, back in the 1950s?
Old 12-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Mick,

As you know you sent me the document a while back. I had a go with a free pdf to html converter but the document was too big. The commercial converters (eg Adobe) were too pricey for me, over £100.

I was also concerned about copyright of the odd image or two. Is everything ok in there, so to speak?

Anyway, what I have done for the time being is put it in my google docs storage (google drive?? 'My Drive' or something it is called)

You can read the John Trobe story here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-3...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Shame you missed the medals. I'm a medal collector / dealer and I've not seen them, but will give you a shout if I do.
Good news is of course that they still exist, and you know they are out there somewhere, probably in safe hands. They do tend to re-surface over time.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Default John Trobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Hi Mick,

As you know you sent me the document a while back. I had a go with a free pdf to html converter but the document was too big. The commercial converters (eg Adobe) were too pricey for me, over £100.

I was also concerned about copyright of the odd image or two. Is everything ok in there, so to speak?

Anyway, what I have done for the time being is put it in my google docs storage (google drive?? 'My Drive' or something it is called)

You can read the John Trobe story here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-3...ew?usp=sharing
As far as I am aware, the images are OK to publish with the acknowledgements that I have included in the appendix.
I can precis it if you want and issue it to you in another format - it was composed on Word.
Thanks. Let me know if you need anything.

Last edited by MickW; 12-11-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Interesting story, Mike. Hope we see your document soon on the forum. Are you related to the Trobes who lived in Melrose Gardens, Amble, back in the 1950s?
My great grandfather's widow, Catherine Ann, moved to her sister in law's home at 58 Newburgh Street, Amble in 1917. She was Dorothy Trobe ( born Tomlinson) and they had a son Adam Trobe who was in the cyclists regiment in WW1 and survived to marry a Jessie Grey. Other children included John Evan Trobe, Thomas H Trobe and Francis R Trobe. The only male child of any of these I can trace who could have remained in Amble was a Thomas Trobe who was born in 1924. I have not made a priority of warning the trail on this section of my ancestry.
Thank you for your interest.
Old 13-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Administrator

I did visit (a long time ago) some of the cemeteries around Poperinghe. It felt like most of the headstones bore a date from 16th to 22nd October 1917.

Tags
medals, trobe, ww1