Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-10-2023, 03:27 PM

Location: Moved down to just outside of Morpeth after I married in 1972.
Default "North pole."

Living on Links Road in the mid 1950’s to mid 1960’s I spent a lot of time with mates on the “third/big shore”, sand pit and the dunes in between. One of our meeting places was the “north pole.” I’d always thought the “north pole” was a telegraph/electric cable pole for the “isolation hospital” that a previous post identified as part of what was call Battery Camp. However I recently found a pic on Secrets of Northumberland, Newcastle City & The Scottish Borders showing a very similar “pole” beside Collingwood Monument used by the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade to practice Breeches Bouy rescue technique. I recall the coast guard volunteers practicing breeches buoy on the links close to the rocket hill but never in the vicinity of the “north pole.” Dose anyone have any information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 391721980_6701917186511284_8672124181844771047_n.jpg (23.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 15-11-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkslad View Post
Living on Links Road in the mid 1950’s to mid 1960’s I spent a lot of time with mates on the “third/big shore”, sand pit and the dunes in between. One of our meeting places was the “north pole.” I’d always thought the “north pole” was a telegraph/electric cable pole for the “isolation hospital” that a previous post identified as part of what was call Battery Camp. However I recently found a pic on Secrets of Northumberland, Newcastle City & The Scottish Borders showing a very similar “pole” beside Collingwood Monument used by the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade to practice Breeches Bouy rescue technique. I recall the coast guard volunteers practicing breeches buoy on the links close to the rocket hill but never in the vicinity of the “north pole.” Dose anyone have any information.
There was a pole as part of the rifle range, it is marked on old maps. About 300 yards south east of what is now the carpark.