Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Default hi

Hi Coquet and thank you so much for the above information which is really a find and very very interesting. Even the envelopes showing the address 9 Lime St where Edward lived. I like the painting too.

I am a couple of generations closer than you to Edward Matthews as my father was born when his father was 40 years old and i was born when my father was 54 years old.

It is unusual that out of the four Matthews siblings shown on your tree image previously, two of them married Ýoungs" , there was Edward marrying my grandfathers sister Elizabeth Young and your Great great Grandmother Margaret Ann marrying a Thomas young, albeit a different branch of Youngs to mine.

In fact i am sure they are connected but i havent as yet worked out how, as i havent researched siblings yet.

I have just began officially forming my tree and have got back to Joshua Young born 1897 in Northumberland, and he was my Great Great grandfather.

I have also found a descendant of Alexander Matthews (Edward and Elizabeths son ) living on the otherside of Australia from me and i have emailed them hoping for a reply.
Once again thanks for your posting and information , really appreciated, Ken Young
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It is unusual that out of the four Matthews siblings shown on your tree image previously, two of them married Ýoungs" , there was Edward marrying my grandfathers sister Elizabeth Young and your Great great Grandmother Margaret Ann marrying a Thomas young, albeit a different branch of Youngs to mine.

Interesting tangle isn't it?

Quote:
I have also found a descendant of Alexander Matthews (Edward and Elizabeths son ) living on the otherside of Australia from me and i have emailed them hoping for a reply.
I hope this comes off for you.

This is KIA Robert's father's grave in the East Cemetery. I see his (Robert's) loss is remembered there as well. (Difficult to photograph because of the way they have the stones laid up.)

I've come to the conclusion the Robert Henry Pringle (KIA) is my Great Grandfather's step cousin (if there is such a thing!)
Old 06-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I've purchased at a local auction the medals to an Amble WW1 fatality: 3771 Private Robert Henry Pringle, "D" Coy. 1st/7th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers.
ing on with this medal set.
Here's some of the original packaging for the medals etc addressed to 9 Lime Street:

That looks like a 'widows penny' in the larger envelope ...
I have my great uncle's

R
Old 20-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgy52 View Post
Hello I put a brief message in the introduction section explaining I live in Australia but my fathers family came from Amble. On the 1871 census my great grandfather was the Inn Keeper at the Harbour Inn, he was Thomas Young and his wife was Isabella. They had two children , one daughter Elizabeth(who I will discuss later ) and my grandfather , also a Thomas Young.
My grandfather Thomas married a Barbara Anne Burns and they had two children in Northumberland, (one was my father, George Thomas ) before emigrating to Australia in approx. 1898 on the Orizaba and they settled in the remote area of Denham West Australia where they had a third child.
Sadly within eight years my grandfather was dead, his wife permanently hospitalized and the three young children all place in an orphanage on Christmas eve.
Consequently my father never knew much about his family , however I have been handed down a series of photographs of family which have no names on, though some have Alnwick, Amble or Newcastle upon Tyne on. These intrigue me and I would love to be able to identify my grandparents.
My other goal is to find out if I have any relatives remaining in Amble or nearby.
Elizabeth , my grandfathers sister married Edward Matthews in approx. 1877 and they had six sons.
They were living at 9 Lime Street between 1891 and 1911.
Their sons names were Thomas young Matthews,born 1878
Matthew Matthews born 1879
Edward Matthews born 1881
John Thompson Matthews born 1883
William Matthews born 1886
Alexander Matthews born 1888
From looking at the 1911 census I can see Thomas Young Matthews was married to a Mary Ann but they had no children at this date.
Matthew Matthews was married to a Rachel Jane and they had a son John Edward Matthews age 3
Edward Matthews was married to a Mary THS and they had a girl called Mary Lillie age 4 and another girl called Elizabeth age 1.
John Thompson Matthews was married to Mary Jane Air and they had two daughters Elizabeth Young Matthews age 4 and Rosanna Matthews age 3.
William Matthews was married to Phyllis but at this date they had no children and
Alexander Matthews was also living with them and still single.
This is as far as I have got with the Matthews line but perhaps someone can relate to this information. I would be so happy to hear anything at all .
Kind Regards Ken Young

Here's Thomas Young the 1871 Harbour Inn Innkeeper's gravestone for your records. There is also a baby and child of Elizabeth and Edward Matthews in there. [this is Warkworth Cemetery]

Those Matthews children would be blood relatives of mine then. Funny old world.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Default re gravestone

I cannot thank you enough for this picture, it is very important to me. Being in Australia and possibly not being able to visit the uk in the near future it was fantastic to see this. I went to England once but it was in winter and the driving rather stressful . As I stayed in Essex I only got as far as Whitby and turned back when the snow began. So I never got to see Amble and there abouts.
I try and go through grave yard records but never found this.
Thank you once again , Sincerely Ken

Last edited by kgy52; 11-05-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Administrator

No problem Ken, it's a pleasure. We've been collecting the monumental inscriptions for the cemetery photographically. Getting them all transcribed is another ball game entirely!
Old 20-05-2014, 07:43 PM

I've just turned this marriage up in the Morpeth Herald of 29 December 1916, relating to one of the Matthews which provides an interesting link to Australia:

"At Amble Parish Church, December 27th, Sapper Alexander Matthews (Australian Expeditionary Force), sixth son of Mr Edw. Matthews, to Miss Lizzie Jane (Lily), second daughter of Mr and Mrs William Bailes, all of Amble."
Old 21-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've just turned this marriage up in the Morpeth Herald of 29 December 1916, relating to one of the Matthews which provides an interesting link to Australia:

"At Amble Parish Church, December 27th, Sapper Alexander Matthews (Australian Expeditionary Force), sixth son of Mr Edw. Matthews, to Miss Lizzie Jane (Lily), second daughter of Mr and Mrs William Bailes, all of Amble."
Many thanks! Another gg- grandfather's cousin of mine? As usual service papers have survived.

Alexander Matthews served a 5 year apprenticeship with "Turnbull James, Percy Street , Amble." NoK is given as his father Edward at the 9 Lime Street Address, which he changes to his wife on marriage, who is in Edwin Street.

search here: [edit: new link, old link I posted has expired]

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NameS...earchForm.aspx

The last page states perhaps died? 19/2/56 (Western Australia?) there is also pencilled on that page "Wife & Child" not sure what that refers to on the page.
Old 21-05-2014, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Don't want to drift off topic, but was there a Blacksmith's shop in Percy Street in Edwardian times??
Old 20-03-2024, 09:11 PM

Smile Matthew's family

To kgy52
Hello. All the Matthews you mentioned in your post are my direct ancestors.
My earliest find is John Matthew's b 1801 in Newburn. As were all his children. Michael,John, Matthew, Thompson, Martha, William, Edward and Joseph.
My line descends from Matthew b1827 Children Thomas,Mary J. Edward, Margaret A. John Thomas and Eleanor.
His son Edward b1851 is my great grandfather who married Elizabeth Young. Children Thomas Young, Matthew, Edward my grandfather, John Thompson, Williiam and Alexander who emigrated to Australia and was in the army there. I have his records and photo. My elder brother was £10 Pom in the 60s now living in Brisbane. If you have any contact with Alexander's family I woul love to know. I found his grave and a bit about his children.
Edward 's children Thomas Lillie, (my dad) Margaret Lillie, Elizabeth and Edward. Sadly all deceased.

We are related to the Youngs and Thompsons through marriages.
We are also related to the Lillies of Amble through my nana Mary Hannah Isabella Sproat Bertram who married Edward. I think she met him when staying in Amble as student teacher with the Lillies.

I only have photos of Edward and Alexander but woul love to see or have copies of any other Matthews from anyone who is related.