Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

I can't find any mention of a fire in the newspapers but I have a gap in 1906 and nothing for 1910 and 1911.
Gloster House does not seem to appear on the 1911 census so the last confirmed sighting is 1905 with the for sale advert.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Administrator

There's always the possibility it went derelict for a while before the fire and thus not newsworthy enough to make the papers.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post

On the subject of the "Gibson" that gave his name to Gibson Street - this must be a diffrerent Gibson to the town surveyor commemorated at the west cemetery, as his active period seems to post date the "Gibson Street" name considerably?
Before Mr Gibson got to the Burial Committee and the Council he was secretary to the Amble gas Light and Coke Company. He also seems to have had a few properties knocking around, including in Gibson Street, Newbiggin. So I'm not ruling him out just yet.

Last edited by janwhin; 02-10-2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Before Mr Gibson got to the Burial Committee and the Council he was secretary to the Amble gas Light and Coke Company. He also seems to have had a few properties knocking around, including in Gibson Street, Newbiggin. So I'm not ruling him out just yet.
I concede, Gibson Street is on the 1860 ordinance survey map and William Gibson was a road maker in Lowick in the 1861 census.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM

There was a post under "West Cemetery" about the Batey/Beaty family being one of the oldest Amble families (April 2012). There is quite a lot of info about George Beattie, born in Chatton 1815ish but settled in Amble by 1841 census. He died in 1898 and had been a mason, builder, grocer, council surveyor, director of the Gas company. phew!

In 1888, an auction sold Beattie's Place in Amble. It consisted of 2 dwelling houses and a stable, and adjoined the Blue Bell Inn.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Put the first two on a page, research by Janwin (just for a change ) (I'm planning on getting something started soon )

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...nd_shakers.htm
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Administrator

On the subject of gallantry medal winners, the London Gazette announced
on the 11th January 1918 the Military Medal for: 15674 Sjt. W. Hedley, Som. L.I. (Amble)

There won't be a citation for that one, unless it was recorded in the local press at the time.

[edit: also awarded the French Medaille Millitare LG 1/5/17 and DCM medal card also exists]

DCM LG 3rd March 1917:

15674 Lce.-Sjt. W. Hedley, Som. L.I.
For conspicuous gallantry in action. He attacked a party of the enemy single-handed,
and drove them off. He has at all times set a fine example of courage and determiriation.

triple gallantry winner - our most decorated local??

The Silver War Badge Roll gives his age as 29 in 1920.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg swb_.jpg (39.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM

Military Medal from World War 2:

Private A E Riches (20) whose home is at 24 King Edward Street, Amble, has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry and devotion to duty in France.
With seven others he was cut off from the battalion near Caen, but despite fierce attacks held the position until relieved. Five of the men were killed: the three survivors were awarded the M M.

Morpeth Herald 1 December 1944.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Lance Corporal Harry Forster MM, one of the heroes of the St Valery evacuation, was presented with a wallet and treasury notes by the townspeople at a dance in the British Legion Hall, Amble.
Making the presentation Councillor Brown, chairman of Amble UDC, recalled that L/Cpl Forster won his Military Medal for a most gallant rescue under heavy machine gun and artillery fire.
Morpeth Herald 31 October 1941.

And a postscript from the Herald on 5 September 1941:
Lance Corporal Forster is the first Amble man to win a decoration during the present war. He is 34 and lives at 21 Henderson Street. Going to France with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers in April last year, he was taken prisoner by the Germans at St Valery, 3 months later. He was reported missing, believed killed. To the great surprise and delight of his wife and family, Forster arrived home unexpectedly in May last.

Last edited by janwhin; 12-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 13-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Administrator

...and awards of the military Medal for the Great War should out number the Second World War awards by more than 7 to 1

I think there's quite a few more to find for the WW1 Amblers
Old 13-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Just been reminded that Simonsen has a list of Great War Gallantry Medallists (14 names) in his book. Again this is top heavy in DCMs suggesting more MMs 'out there'

[I'll edit this post with the names and LG references as I find them]

1. LG 14/5/1919 Military Medal
143331 Spr. Urpeth, J., 82nd Fd. Coy. Royal Engineers (Amble). [not on Simonsen's list]

Simonsen records a Sapper J.R. Campbell, DCM 1915 + Bar 1920
Closest match is:

2. LG 3/6/1915 DCM, LG 14/3/1916 Bar to DCM
17751 A.2/Cpl. J.P. Campbell 5th Field Co Royal Engineers. (home town not published)

3. LG 11/3/16 DCM
1734 Pte. R. Johnson 1/7th Northumberland Fusiliers.

4. LG 16/11/1916 Military Medal
7062 Pte. E. Ainsley, West Riding Regiment

5. LG 23/8/1916 Military Medal
20/743 Pte. R. Ditchburn, Northumberland Fusiliers
[20th Battalion Tyneside Scottish - Sheen and Stewart’s book ‘Tyneside Scottish’ records Ditchburn as being from 8 Marks Row, Amble]

Simonsen records a “Lieutenant E. Darling Northumberland Fusiliers” as an Military Cross (MC) winner.
This turns out to be:

6. LG 11/5/17 MC [Probably also MID]
2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) Edwin Darling, R.F.A. (Royal Field Artillery)
Later Captain. Medal index card confirms address as ‘Gordon House, Amble, Northd’ Served D/250th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Also served Waziristan 1920s

Simonsen records a ‘Sergeant J. Baston Northumberland Fusiliers, MM’

This turns out to be Joseph Baston from Amble serving with the Canadian Expeditionary Force:

7. LG 29/8/18 MM
925012 Pte. (A./L./C.) J. Baston, Saskatchewan Regiment
Service paper first page [NOK address Coquet House, Amble]
Old 13-10-2012, 10:14 AM

Afraid my British Newspaper Archive has a big hole between 1915 and 1940 with regard to local newspapers so can't help
Apparently Amble Council always did a presentation for medal winners in the First War, I wonder what secrets lurk in the files of that organisation
Maybe the PMs announcement of a centenary commemoration in 2014 and funding from the Heritage Lottery might spur someone into action for an Amble event.
Could always get funding to dig up the paddling pool and unearth those guns that were chucked into the quarry by angry Amble residents after the Great War
Old 13-10-2012, 10:18 AM

I'm just putting the finishing touches to another "Mover and Shaker" and I'm really impressed by this one. It is Mr McAndrews of "Amble and District" fame, and what a surprise Of course some members might know about him already but not me.
Old 13-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Administrator

are the WW1 years missing from the archive because they have not been scanned and uploaded yet, or because the originals missing - [never to be uploaded??]

I was thinking of splashing out on a subscription
Old 13-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Maybe the PMs announcement of a centenary commemoration in 2014 and funding from the Heritage Lottery might spur someone into action for an Amble event.
Well we should see something interesting I hope. The 'Great War' has been only the November Remembrance for most people. It will be nice to see the broader picture given some thought. Our Gallantry Medallists for example?
Old 13-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
are the WW1 years missing from the archive because they have not been scanned and uploaded yet, or because the originals missing - [never to be uploaded??]

I was thinking of splashing out on a subscription
I don't really know the answer to that. Colindale collected every newspaper and they do have these dates covered in other parts of the country. I'll see if I can message them.
Old 13-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Those years are missing from the Alnwick Library microfilms of the Alnwick Gazette too. Not looking good.
Old 13-10-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Those years are missing from the Alnwick Library microfilms of the Alnwick Gazette too. Not looking good.
The Archive has not uploaded the Alnwick County Gazette as yet. It only has the Mercury (up to 1883). The Morpeth Herald is the best local one, going to 1948 but this is the one with the gap. I've certainly viewed this at Morpeth Library for the 1930s, so don't think they're lost. The Newcastle Journal has still to venture beyond 1915.
Old 13-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I'm just putting the finishing touches to another "Mover and Shaker" and I'm really impressed by this one. It is Mr McAndrews of "Amble and District" fame, and what a surprise Of course some members might know about him already but not me.

Now added. Nice. Wonder why he stuck it out underground when he had other talents that could have got him out?
Old 13-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
. Nice. Wonder why he stuck it out underground when he had other talents that could have got him out?
I guess it's like a lot of people with that background who maybe haven't the belief that they can do something different that offers the same security for themselves and their family.