Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Post Coquet Island

I've just read some of the history on Coquet Island and the many changes in residence there from St Henry to Trinity House thanks to the forums sister site Amble and District ,the thread I have on Coquet Island is a piece of furniture (a dresser) which was made on the Island by one of the lighthouse keepers, his name being from what I can make out is R.Rashley in 1930.The story goes that when finished it was transported by rowing boat to the mainland and given to my husbands Grandmother who lived in Amble, it now stands pride of place in our sitting room. Sadly don't have any other information on Mr Rashley except that it was a hobby that helped him during his time of duty on the island.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Not directly linked to your post but Genuki has a list of Coquet Island keepers up to 1910: www.genuki.org.uk/big/Lighthouses/Stations.html.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator

That list on the genuki site states 1841 is not enumerated - that's not correct, it's at: HO 197/836/8 = Coquet Island, Hauxley Township.

But he is probably right about the Lighthouse being under construction, as there are a bunch of builders recorded on the Island.

The Keeper is 1841 is Edward Whitehead, aged 45. The return includes his wife Margaret (also 45) and two daughters Mary (20) and Margaret (15)

Builders:

Edward Howey, 45, Architect
Robert Bothick, 45, Joiner
George Robinson, 50, Mason
William Yeomans, 45, Mason
John Brown, 35, Mason
William Wardle 15, Apprentice Mason

In the Simonsen book he states Edward Whitehead was the 2nd keeper, with Grace Darling's brother William being the 1st Keeper - which appears to be in the sense of rank - that is Darling and Whitehead are the two keepers in 1841, but there is no Coquet Island census entry for Darling (or his family) for 1841.

Those two keepers (Darling and Whitehead) are still there on the 1851 Census, and are joined by a third, James Chapman aged 49. (All with their families)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coquet_island_1841_census.jpg (55.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg nice_drying_day_washing_is_out.jpg (54.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Bit of a slip up by Genuki man, he has Darling as keeper in 1840
Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Grace Darling was supposed to have caught a chill going to visit her brother on Coquet Island. She died early 1842 so he must have been a keeper by then? All a bit odd. On 1841 census Grace's brother, William, is a joiner living in Alnwick, but a keeper on the Island in 1851.

Last edited by janwhin; 09-08-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Things as they stand suggest Whitehead was the 1st keeper, being joined by Darling later, perhaps a few months later?

What is the original reference source the others are using to claim that Darling was the first keeper? The Genuki site gives no reference for its 1840 claim, Simonsen similar; he states Darling was first, but no reference, then goes on to list the 1841 census, which does not include the man.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator

I feel a 'Keeper' page coming on.

What sources have we got at Woodhorn post 1911 Janwhin? Electoral rolls would give us the people on the Island, but not necessarily identify the 'Keepers', until the families were banished (which was ??)

I think the Trinity House records in London went up in smoke during the blitz.
The Newcastle office might have something but the way things are it might be difficult to get info from them. (They are still working on a genealogical one for me from a couple of months back)

I can remember one 'Keeper' family friend from the 60s, Clive Erne or Clive Hurn I think!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
What is the original reference source the others are using to claim that Darling was the first keeper? The Genuki site gives no reference for its 1840 claim, Simonsen similar; he states Darling was first, but no reference, then goes on to list the 1841 census, which does not include the man.
It's Trinity House itself, on their website, that says William Darling was the first keeper?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Ah well I suppose they will be correct.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM

According to the Genuki compiler, the keepers names were compiled from Service Lists held outside London and not destroyed. These don't go back as far as 1840. The assistance received in relation to Northumberland lighthouse keepers came from Berwick Records Office.
Having a browse through Woodhorn's catalogue, as you do, there are records of the Darling family, originating apparently from Grace's twin sisters. It states there, in the summary, that William Horsley Darling was Asst Keeper at Coquet and his brother, William Brooks Darling at Longstone. They swapped jobs in 1859.
More furtling required!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 AM

William Brooks Darling died at the end of December 1870 at Bamburgh. According to the probate records he was late of Coquet Island and his widow, Jane, was still on Coquet Island.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I feel a 'Keeper' page coming on.

What sources have we got at Woodhorn post 1911 Janwhin? Electoral rolls would give us the people on the Island, but not necessarily identify the 'Keepers', until the families were banished (which was ??)
Apart from the Darling papers, I would think Electoral Registers and Trade Directories would be our best bet. As a back up census (pre 1911) and Warkworth/Amble church registers. What do you reckon?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Bit odd giving two of your children the same Christian name. For heaven's sake someone think of the genealogists!

Regarding the 1st ever keeper, perhaps Trinity house counted from when the lamp was lit for the first time. This was about 4 months after the census - 6th June v 1st October 1841. Still doesn't explain why Darling leapfrogs Whitehead for the accolade, it should be joint if anything, unless Whitehead went ashore at that time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coquet_lamp_lit.jpg (111.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM

The sisters reckon he was assistant keeper which makes me think Whitehead was the keeper. Maybe Trinity House was carried away with the romance of the name
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Ward's Post Office Directory, 1858:

"Coquet Island: Barnaby Chesman, keeper; William Darling, keeper; Edward Whitehead, storekeeper."

Slater's Directory, 1855: James Chapman, keeper.

Kelly's Directory, 1914: Frank Evans, keeper. And now I've completely drifted off into 1914
Old 12-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Interesting. Are the directories on-line somewhere Janwhin?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Okay, you've found my guilty secret
The University of Leicester has a mission to put historical trade directories online, you can find them at www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp.
Old 17-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Reference to another keeper, James Grey, his wife died on the island in 1882. Ainger 1877 and Wm Boyle, head keeper 1872.

Last edited by janwhin; 17-08-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: more information