Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 27-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default 1848 Murder on the Beach

ALLEGED MURDER AT AMBLE. CONFESSION OF A CONVICT.

Thomas Lambert, a convict on board the York hulk, at Gosport, made a statement on the 26th ult., respecting a murder which he alleged he had committed on the sea-beach, near Amble, upon a young woman with whom he had cohabited. The following is a copy of his statement :—" About the 20th of July, 1847, during my travels as a hawker of razors, knives, and pocket hand-kerchiefs, &c., I stopped at Gateshead, and took my lodgings at a house kept by a man of Pipergate (Pipewellgate]. I do not know his name. While there, a woman named Ann Smith, aged 19, a native of Belfast, came to stop also. I had known her for some time previously. She said she would like to travel with me. I told her I had no objections, but that she could not accompany me then, as I had to go to North Shields, which is about seven miles from Newcastle. I stopped at North Shields about five days. During my absence she kept the house at Pipergate, but on my return I met her in Sandgate. I then agreed to meet her in the morning. I did so, and we started together for Hexham, but she stopped at Coleridge [Corbridge], while I went on to Hexham, where I stopped all night.
The next morning I went to Chapel Wardale [Weardale]. I stopped there two days, and then returned to Hexham, having promised to meet Ann Smith at a lodging-house, kept by Mrs Glaston. This was on the 4th of August, 1848. The next day I went to Stage-bank [Stagshawbank] fair, about three miles from Hexham, and returned about ten or eleven o'clock in the evening to Mrs Glaston's. Something then occurred that caused a quarrel between us ; but, being the worse of liquor, I cannot recollect the particulars. I got up to strike her. She was then peeling onions with a penknife, which ran into my hand, the mark of which is now visible. I did not say anything, but made up my mind that as she had drawn blood from me, I would draw hers. We did not speak to each other that night. The next morning we started together for a town called Hamble [Amble]. On the road we stopped at a village called Wetherington [Widdrington]. About 9 o'clock in the evening we went to a lodging-house, but they were full. She then asked me where I was going to stop that night. I told her I would go to Hamble. We then both went along the banks (sea-coast) about three miles, which made it about half-past ten o'clock. I then stopped her and told her her time was come. We were on the sea-beach, and close against a stream that ran into the sea. I knocked her down with a stick I used when walking, and then took a razor from my pack, and cut her throat. I then left her dying on the sand, supposing that at high water she would be washed into the sea. I then went to a farm about half a mile from where I committed the deed. I do not know the name of the farm, but it consisted of a farm-house, hinds' houses, a public-house, a blacksmith's shop, and a school. When here, I made up my mind to remain all night ; but thinking it best that the body should be put out of sight, I took a shovel from a shed belonging to the farm, and returned to where the body was lying. I then dragged it about thirty yards nearer the sea, it being then very low tide, and dug a hole in the sand, and buried her at high water. I should think the sea would run forty or fifty yards over where she lay. I then toot the shovel back, and placed it where I had previously taken it from, and proceeded on to Amble, where I remained about a fortnight. I never heard anything respecting the murder. I then started for Newcastle, returning by the same route as I had come. I went into the blacksmith's shop at the farm to light my pipe, as I thought that would be the most likely place to hear if the body had been discovered. I, however, never heard anything about it. I have been very uneasy and miserable ever since, and make this statement by my own wish, in hope that it will give ease to my mind." to consequence of this statement, which is signed by two of the officers of York hulk, a communication was made by the director of convict prisons to Mr Schorey, superintendent of the Gateshead police force, who was requested to investigate the alleged facts, and ascertain, so far as he could, whether they were true or false. This he has since personally done. The result is, that the statements of the convict are none of them found to be untrue. The localities are correctly described in his confession; and there was a person living in Hexham at the time stated, called Glaston, who took in lodgers. No additional fact, however, to corroborate the convict's statement has been discovered. The stream referred to pursues a winding course across the wide sea beach, before it loses itself in the ocean.

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury 27 September 1851
Old 27-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Administrator

And more skeletons:

ANOTHER RIDDLE OF THE SANDS

Was He the Victim of Shipwreck ?
A skeleton found on the beach at Amble few days ago was the subject of an inquiry by the Deputy Coroner, Mr H. J. Percy, at Amble Police Court.
The verdict was that the remains were of a male person unknown, and there was no evidence to show the cause of death. Inspector Spratt said he found a human bone protruding from the sand and on digging a skeleton was presented to view. Dr Watson. of Amble, said he had made an examination of the skeleton, and was of opinion that it was that of a male person between 30 and 40 years of age. There wash no mark of violence on the skull, and no evidence to show the cause of death. Thai remains were of considerable age, probably 60 years or more.
Inspector Spratt further stated that he had been informed that there was a shipping wreck about that spot 60 years ago, and it was possible that some of the crew go ashore and perished on the links.

17 January 1923 - Evening Telegraph - Dundee, Angus, Scotland
Old 27-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Administrator

This one from the Morpeth Herald 26 March 1920

HUMAN SKELETON FOUND NEAR AMBLE

Mr H.M. Oliver of Hauxley, near Amble whiles walking along the beach found a skull lying near the sandhills, and later other parts of the skeleton were unearthed.
Mr Hugh Percy deputy coroner held the inquiry in the court Room, Amble on Saturday.
The evidence given by Henry M. Oliver was to the effect that he was 80 years of age, and never, during his 67 years’ life at Hauxley. Had he heard of anyone disappearing or being missing.
Richard Simpson Oliver, grandson of the above also gave evidence.
Dr. Watson, of Amble, said he had examined the bones, and, in his opinion, it was at least 50 years since the person died, and that the bones were those of a male in the prime of life.
Mr. Percy said that that was as far as they could carry the inquest. There were no means of saying how the remained had got there, and he returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Administrator

There is another "discovery" (multiple skeletons?) reported in the papers during Dr. Robertson's time but I've lost it at the moment.
Old 27-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Blimey! Murder(s?) in such a beautiful place. Who'd have thought it? Really interesting stuff Coquet, if a little lurid!
Old 27-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Coquet, where do you think the first location was - Chevington burn down from Red Row or along by Hauxley / Newborough? The large expanse of sand, school,forge etc suggests Red Row to me, where do you think?
Old 27-07-2014, 12:35 PM

It sounds like Red Row but what about the public house he mentions......could be Hauxley
Old 27-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Administrator

I was thinking along those lines - it has to have a school and a pub so Widdrington or Hauxley, and there's two streams to chose from Chevington Burn or Bondicar Burn.

If he was heading to Amble then Bondicar and Hauxley are the most likely?

[edit - did Widdrington have a school in 1848?]
Old 27-07-2014, 01:33 PM

On the 1827 trade directories there is a pub at Widdrington, the Black Bull, and at Hauxley, the Plough.
Widdrington also has one on the 1860 OS map...the Vernon Arms.
Old 27-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Administrator

It's a sad one anyway. Poor Ann Smith from Belfast paired herself up with a psychopath. I guess her body must have washed out of the sand eventually.
Old 27-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Administrator

This has to be Hauxley. (Not Widdrington as he would have said so having set off from that place -silly me). He says he walked 3 miles between 9? and 10.30pm ? even this would have them past Chevington burn, normally it is 20 mins per mile so they could have been further along, Bondicar looks spot on to me.

There is a Thomas Lambert sentenced to 10 years and transportation for Larceny in Durham in October 1850. Another Thomas Lambert in Northumberland but with only a 4 month jail sentence [larceny] in January 1850. The former has a previous conviction - think these two records will turn out to be the the same man, and our murderer.

[there is one more Thomas Lambert in the criminal records in our 1848-51 window but he is in Kent]
Old 27-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Regarding other skeletons and the Dr Robertson reference in the newspaper archives which I read a couple of weeks ago - I cannot now find any trace - they must have removed some issues form the online archive or I've imagined reading it! It was recent enough to still be in copyright so perhaps they've reined it in a bit?
Old 27-07-2014, 06:05 PM

Morpeth Herald 17 April 1953 for your skeleton

Discovered by Mr & Mrs JR Kennedy of Radcliffe while walking over sand dunes at Low Hauxley, near the normal tide mark.
Dr Robertson reckoned it had lain on that spot for hundreds of years and been uncovered as a result of recent weather. A man in his forties about 5ft 5 ins tall with a mark on the upper right humerus that could have been caused by an axe or sword.
The skeleton was forwarded to the Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh.
Old 27-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Morpeth Herald 17 April 1953 for your skeleton

Discovered by Mr & Mrs JR Kennedy of Radcliffe while walking over sand dunes at Low Hauxley, near the normal tide mark.
Dr Robertson reckoned it had lain on that spot for hundreds of years and been uncovered as a result of recent weather. A man in his forties about 5ft 5 ins tall with a mark on the upper right humerus that could have been caused by an axe or sword.
The skeleton was forwarded to the Royal Scottish Museum, Edinburgh.
Mny thanks, must have been a malfunction with the FMP search function there [I still cant find it!]

Interesting one though. Chop wound on the leg. I doubt the museum has bothered to have a look at it with modern techniques - think they have dusty basements full of stuff like that.
Old 27-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I wish some budding archaeology academic would do a PHD project on all these Hauxley/ Amble dune bodies. It would be most interesting; and when we get an Amble museum, they will all be coming home - The Maori got their shrunken heads back from museums around the world. We can have our dune bodies back.
Old 28-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Thought I had posted this the other day, In the 70s there was a skeleton found in the dunes on links .remember something about a Ring and it being female a
.thought to have been there from victorian times . I was in army at the time . anyone else any memory of this ???
Old 28-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Thought I had posted this the other day, In the 70s there was a skeleton found in the dunes on links .remember something about a Ring and it being female a
.thought to have been there from victorian times . I was in army at the time . anyone else any memory of this ???

Was it this one?:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...ondicar&page=2

(start of that page)

We have more references to skeletons in other threads on here, quite a catalogue and that's not counting the 'beaker people' activities. Bizarre.
Old 28-07-2014, 10:14 AM

40 years out on the dating and it could be our Ann Smith......not impossible.
Old 28-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Lambert could have been frugal with the truth as well, regarding burial place [below the high water mark vs in the dunes] - wanting to confess but also not wanting the body to be found. The 70s discovery is definitely a possibility.

[I've cracked and ordered to book!]
Old 28-07-2014, 07:21 PM

I'm glad you've ordered the book.....I was thinking about it but I'm on an anti Amazon mission, as far as possible