Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Cliffwell garage?, the photo does look like the current building but with its shiny new roof and glazed panels. You are right -Mark's row is very difficult to make out.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Top photo, enlarged shows Eastgarth av. east side being built with Amble House behind and look how big the church was on High st!
And the ridge and furrow? field is still there next to the railway, I thought it was more modern than 1932, interesting

Does the 'ridge and furrow' field have any great age or significance to it Hollydog? I've had a look on Google maps and you can still see that ploughing pattern disappearing under the trading estate.
Old 14-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Does the 'ridge and furrow' field have any great age or significance to it Hollydog? I've had a look on Google maps and you can still see that ploughing pattern disappearing under the trading estate.

Answering my own question but googling about it does look exactly like medieval fields recorded elsewhere.
Old 14-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Answering my own question but googling about it does look exactly like medieval fields recorded elsewhere.
Sorry I meant to get back on that one! I was sure I had seen a reference to the ridges on Keys to the Past website, but it doesn't appear to be there. I remember being sceptical because I thought all that area was modern development and that is why it stuck in my mind. The photo shows the features definitely pre-date the industrial estate works.
Old 17-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Here's one of the SS Togston.

We have on the two sites somewhere: SS Amble, Hauxley and the Chevington

Almost a full house of Amble Coal Boats.

not sure how the photographer managed to get the centre in focus and the bow and stern out of focus?

Old 17-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Cliffwell garage?, the photo does look like the current building but with its shiny new roof and glazed panels. You are right -Mark's row is very difficult to make out.
I had a look at the 1934 directory and could not see a garage listed for Albert St? or have i missed it?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...e_business.htm
Old 17-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default 1934

Knox's Garage in Bridge street is there, but no Albert Street garage?
Old 17-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Just looking at that directory listing you can see why we were once described as a nation of shopkeepers!
Old 17-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I had a look at the 1934 directory and could not see a garage listed for Albert St? or have i missed it?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...e_business.htm
My eyes may be deceiving me, but there looks like an asbestos sheeted light coloured roofed warehouse/garage with glazed panels, very like the current at the same site? what do you think?
Old 17-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I think it's the same building. Wonder if it started life as something else?
Old 17-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Albert Street garage.

Keep going Coquet, you are learning all the time. The building you can see was "Thompsons Red Stamp Stores". I was the delivery boy, on a delivery bike, from 1956 at this shop. We moved to Queen Street in 1957, where the video shop is now.
The premises in Albert Street was taken over as a garage by a man called Cliff Salkeld, hence Cliffwell. He was from the Newcastle area and was one of the first people to buy one of the new houses in Bisley Road.
Ords were the next people in before the present occupier.
Between the garage and the Blue Bell, the present car display area, was a house and shop, formerly the Railway Hotel I believe. The alleyway between that and the "Bell" led to housing in what is now the car park there.
Old 17-02-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is a medieval ridge and furrow, it hasn't got the S shape associated with the ox team having a wide turning circle and the ridges don't seem broad enough. Apparently steam driven ploughs gave a much straighter and narrower ridge and furrow look and tended to run parallel with field boundaries. Probably 19th century
Old 17-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Keep going Coquet, you are learning all the time. The building you can see was "Thompsons Red Stamp Stores". I was the delivery boy, on a delivery bike, from 1956 at this shop. We moved to Queen Street in 1957, where the video shop is now.
The premises in Albert Street was taken over as a garage by a man called Cliff Salkeld, hence Cliffwell. He was from the Newcastle area and was one of the first people to buy one of the new houses in Bisley Road.
Ords were the next people in before the present occupier.
Between the garage and the Blue Bell, the present car display area, was a house and shop, formerly the Railway Hotel I believe. The alleyway between that and the "Bell" led to housing in what is now the car park there.
Ah of course, I remember you mentioning Cliffwell/Ords/ 'Red Stamp Stores' in another thread. Car ownership started to rise significantly in the fifties so more demand for another Amble garage, so timing would be right too.
Old 18-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Administrator

A couple more from the Alan J. Collection: Amble Aerial view 1918, and Amble County Primary School, winners of the Alnwick and District League 1948-49 season.
Back Row: D. Douglas, T Steele, R. Shanks, L. Mitchell, R. Jefferson (captain), W. Henry, N. Henderson, T. Taylor, Mr B. Aisbitt (teacher). Front row,: R. Miller, M. Handyside, M. Gair, Mr J. Wilson (schoolmaster), R. Lightfoot, C. McDonald, T. Murry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1918.jpg (70.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg footballers.jpg (74.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 24-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Default Amble Photos

Some scans of old Photos of Amble
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high street 1965.jpg (72.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Queen Street 1960.jpg (48.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Image (17).jpg (54.7 KB, 58 views)
Old 30-06-2013, 03:23 PM

The last picture of the pier has been reprinted in very large format and is well worth a look - visit the Harbour Fish Bar on Leazes st to see it, the fish and chips are excellent as well!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Default Amble pier 1950/1/

Found this card in south of england It was actually send by my Aunt in 1953 when she was looking after me and brothers whe brither Michael was born
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amble Harbour early 1950s.jpg (67.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by leslie; 11-07-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Famous Question in court Was it an accident he touched this Dolphin, No your honour it was on Porpoise , boom boom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freddie.jpg (87.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 13-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Default 43 High Street

Does anyone know what the shop was which is shown in the postcard at 43 High Street. This is now the living room of my flat.
43 High Street is the building which was the health centre until the early 80s when it was converted into 4 flats.

Also what happened to the High Street church and when?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (4.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 14-08-2013, 10:55 AM

There is a photo of High Street on the sister site, fusilier, old photos page 1. This is circa 1910 and these premises are not a shop then.
As for the church it was demolished in the 1970's as it had become unstable due to it's location on the sloping ground. It was a methodist church and after it was demolished the congregation joined up with the primitive methodists in their church in Percy Street. I believe it was built by Carse the Amble building firm in the late 1800's/ early 1900's.