Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Not sure if I've shown this Burton bottle type before?

It's a 'John Burton only' bottle anyway.

Old 24-08-2014, 02:35 PM

Thanks for posting the new bottle photo .... not seen this one before.

I assume this was a mineral water bottle ... What closure did it have?

We can date it to a short period between 1898 and 1905

Burton only on the bottle indicates it was made after the Partnership between John Burton and William James Richardson Mineral Water manufacturers, Amble was dissolved on July 20 1898. (London Gazette)

Then John Burton left Amble 1905- there is a interesting advert in the Morpeth Herald of April 22nd 1905 “ Fox and hounds Inn, Amble. Sale of household Furniture.&c. MESSRS. T. WATERS & SON favoured with instructions from Mr. J. Burton, who is removing South, will SELL BY AUCTION, upon the premises, as above, on Tuesday May 9th. 1905, his HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE & EFFECTS. For Details see Posters”.

No reference to Aerated Water Manufacturing.... which was his occupation on baptism of daughter Jane Anna in December 1902.

Thanks for adding another item to our file on this colourful man.

Margaret and Robin
Old 24-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I assume this was a mineral water bottle ... What closure did it have?
Yes mineral water. the bottle has an internal screw stopper. I've a similar style Turnbull and Williamson bottle and have photographed the stopper below - I'm sure the Burton bottles had the same stopper (but with the 'Burton Amble' mark obviously). These are made of wood and don't often survive, you dig up the bottle with a stopper in but it is just soft mush - but occasionally they are ok. Turnbull and Williamson also made an identical stopper in the hard black composite material we may be familiar with from our childhood on the archetypal "Tizer" bottles. I assume the black composite stoppers replaced the wooden ones?

Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 PM

That Royal Dolton advertising water jug is lovely,these are very collectable and rare to find with firms names on. it looks to be in really good condition. Look after it as these can fetch a tidy sum of money. The Alnwick brewery codd bottle is a variation patent bottle and is known as a reliance patent codd bottle.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:07 PM

Default Mineral water works The Wynd 1892

Chasing down the start of the Burton and Richardson partnership, Mineral Water manufacturers, Amble.

I found an advert in The Morpeth Herald of 19 November 1892. “To let, 4 1/2 acres of Good GARDEN GROUND, 1 acre well stocked with trees; vinery with 4 vines. Also, Three-stalled STABLE. Apply to Messrs. Burton and Richardson"
The 12 November issue has an advert for lease of land with vinery etc apply to Burton and Richardson Mineral Water Mineral Water Works, Amble.”

Then another search shows another advert in the 5 November 1892 Morpeth Herald page 6 to do with a vinery ...

but I can not find the item on the page as downloading on findmypast ... can any one spot it?

Last edited by Burton descendant; 10-03-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-03-2016, 01:15 PM

"To let, from 12th of Nov., at Amble, house, stabling and 41/2 acres of land, one acre of which is garden well stocked with first class fruit trees and bushes. A vinery with 5 vines. House contains large kitchen with 4 rooms, stabling for 5horses and cows. Hen house and piggery. Messrs. Burton and Richardson will show the premises. All offers to be sent to Gilbert Turnbull, Hazon, Acklington."
Old 10-03-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
"To let, from 12th of Nov., at Amble, house, stabling and 41/2 acres of land, one acre of which is garden well stocked with first class fruit trees and bushes. A vinery with 5 vines. House contains large kitchen with 4 rooms, stabling for 5horses and cows. Hen house and piggery. Messrs. Burton and Richardson will show the premises. All offers to be sent to Gilbert Turnbull, Hazon, Acklington."
Thanks. Looks like they rented out the house and then advertised the land in the next issue of the newspaper.

M&R