Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Whittle Pit

I'm after picking the brains of you Whittle men out there. My brother in law recalls helping to recover the body of a Jimmie Henderson? killed by a stone fall in the roadway at Whittle. He mentioned there was a particular type of stone in the roof, almost multi coloured, that formed an arch, but which fell with hardly any warning sound. He's a bit hazy on the date but puts it in the 1960s.
This death isn't on the Durham Mining memorial so any help or information gratefully received.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 PM

My Dad,Aidan Mitchell, remembers the poor chap that was killed and thinks he was from Widdrington,he cant recall the exact date.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Whittle

The stone was called blue stone, probably a local name. I think Jimmy died before I went to Whittle from Hauxley in 1967. He was killed in a development area.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 PM

Thanks to you both, first time I've had a reply from a father and son
I'll have to go back to my brother in law to find out how old this man was, there are a few candidates.
My bro in law went direct to Whittle after Broomhill closed, not via Hauxley, and was involved in the winning of the first face.