Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Default Waterloo Veterans

The Bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo is a few months away. I was wondering how many locals we have that served at Waterloo, or in the Peninsular War generally. That is any we know about!

Being a collector of medals, the odd snippet of information comes my way through the auction houses. Here for instance is the Military General Service Medal to John Burn from Felton, Peninsula War veteran, wounded at Salamanca. He was out of the war in 1813 so missed Waterloo, although I think his regiment, the 38th Foot, wasn't present at the battle anyway.

We have 'Captain William Parry' or "Troop Sergeant Major William Perrie", of Amble 'Waterloo' pub, alleged 2nd Dragoons at Waterloo.

We have a William Finn, born in Warkworth, appears to have served an astonishing 39 years, including 14 years with the 58th Foot from 1797 to his discharge in 1812. It is quite possible he also served at Salamanca, as well as a number of other famous battles.

I also recall that the 'Northumberland Militia' AKA 'The Northumberland Buffs' Regiment was ordered in 1799 to transfer ('Volunteer!') 25% of its strength to the Regular Army; this amounted to more than 266 men; who were they and where did they end up? Quite possible they were battling Napoleon's army in Egypt in 1801.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Administrator

This is the Waterloo Medal to Colour-Sergeant Andrew Matthews born at Warkworth, enlisted 1813, found himself in the Coldstream Guards and in the thick of the fighting at Waterloo.
His battalion had 55 killed, 249 wounded and 4 missing in the battle. Not nice, nearly one third of their strength. But of course Matthews had the distinction of being at one of those great turning points in world history.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Our Waterloo pub chap is confirmed on the Waterloo roll as Troop Sergeant Major with the 2nd, or 'Royal North British Dragoons', spelling is 'Perrie'.

His mob had an even tougher time in the battle than Coldstreamer Matthews; 200 total casualties out of a strength of 391, which included 102 killed! very Somme like!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:20 PM
Administrator

James Stanfield, born Warkworth in 1785, joined the Northumberland Militia in in 1803, transferring to the regular 38th Foot in 1809 served to 1816, then back to the Northumberland Militia in 1817, discharged 1826.

Another Warkworth Stanfield, I assume a brother of the above is also in the records:

Robert Stanfield, a gardener, born at Warkworth 1791 attested in the Coldstream Guards in 1813. Apparently just in time for Waterloo you would think, but Waterloo is struck through on his service papers so perhaps he ended up in the wrong battalion for that battle. He was discharged in 1835
Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Anyway back to William Perrie, this is his unit in action at Waterloo, the famous painting of the charge of the Royal Scots Greys, (aka 2nd Dragoons), by Lady Butler.

That will be Perrie on the dark horse on the left -"If I ever get out of this bugger alive I'm going to open a pub in Amble and call it the Waterloo! C..H.A..R.G.E..!"

Old 03-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Robert Mather, born at Warkworth c. 1787 joined the Royal Artillery in 1804, served for 21 years, being Pensioned off in 1825.

An interesting note on his discharge papers states "Sergeant Mather has been paid £11-15-6 to carry his wife and eight children to Morpeth in Northumberland."

So Mather served right through the core Napoleonic period. Quite possible some of the present local Mather clan can claim him if did make it back here with his eight kids.