Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-12-2013, 04:48 PM

God Bless us, everyone!
Old 24-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Re; The Dalby's WW1 RNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
Hi there, as far as I'm aware, there were three Dalby boys, James, William and Johnny.
James (kia 26/04/15) is number 24 on this photo. I believe William is number 45, identified by his nephew Ronald?
Derek (Derilda?) identified Johnny as third from the left, back row, does this make Johnny number 2?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/old_photos..._fusiliers.htm

Interestingly, another descendent J T Dalby was one of the 'secret seven', in other words one of the Chevington Auxilliers in World War Two mentioned elsewhere on another thread.

There seems to be a batch of stuff relating to the Dalbys in the Woodhorn archives, one photograph which appears to include your relative Herbert Goward Janwhin?
Hi John, sorry I missed you last week. You rightly identify James (7-1447) in your photograph, and Will. I have studied hard and believe that my Grandfather Johnnie (7-2397) is at No. 47. According to family lore James died as a result of artillery fire and his body not found. He was killed just 6 days after leaving their billet at Cambois on 20th April 1915, entrained to Dover then ferried to Calais. 7 RNF were sent to plug a hole in defences near Ypres without any front line training. He died on 26th April. I note your mention of a letter from another soldier stating he had found James' body and he was given a temporary burial. I would dearly love to have sight of this letter as family never mentioned it.
As far as I know my Grandfather was discharged having suffered 2 attacks from mustard gas and eventually resumed working at the pit. I have his 3 medals.
You also refer to his son JT (Jack), who was a corporal in the Auxilliary section of Home Guard during WW2. I have his medal and discharge letter from Highworth, Swindon, dated 30 November 1944, and a scroll from HM King George 6th. I seem to have followed on in family tradition having served 26 years in the RAF, but my life was cushy compared to what they and their colleagues had to undergo. I must try to get sight of Woodhorn Archives on my next visit.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Administrator

On the casualty list my eye was drawn to Sergeant Victor Cyril Roberts, 7th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. He was an Amble man.

There is an extensive account by him of the Ypres/St Julien fighting in the Gazette.

anyway, on his medal index card he is later commissioned into the East Yorkshire Regiment, and attached to the RAF.

I wonder if he was a flyer??

Other interesting points is that he was, in 1911, a Colliery Electrician, and his medal index card gives his address as Bede House, Amble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medal_card_roberts.jpg (70.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Anyone know anything else about this gentleman?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:56 PM

I will have to have a think/search for where Bede House was, as the current was built in 1930s. Does the 1911 census actual return list it or him ? and if so does it give a clue by looking at the next door properties. I havn't a subscription at the moment.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Administrator

It's on the medal index card, this would be written about 1921.

On the 1911 census the 'findmypast' site has his address transcribed as Dovecote Street, but when you look at the actual return it shows Dilston Terrace.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:09 PM

I don't know of the family but on the 1911 census the siblings, including, Victor, are living in Dovecote Street, all Welsh. The 1901 census shows the family in Queen Street and the father is a schoolmaster at the CofE school.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Administrator

He's on the Absent voter's list at No. 5 Bede Street, with another 'Hugh Hooson Roberts' who is also an officer.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Administrator

and... we're back to the church with this family:

Quote:
The brass lectern was placed in 1932 in memory of John Hooson Roberts second headmaster at the church school from 1890 to 1908.
http://www.stcuthbertsonline.com/hist.htm

"One of the sons is believed to have married the Bishop of Durhams daughter. Victor served in the flying corps in WW1, Hugh & George in the Northumberland Fuseliers. George is named on the Role of Honour in Amble, he died in 1917 in France. Hugh went on to be a grocer in Warkworth, and secretary of the local Golf Club."

[From the church website]
Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Administrator

On the subject of the church this is the WW1 memorial on the south wall. Bit of sun shining on it burning out some names, so will do this one again as well.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Administrator

I see they have 'Summerell' spelt correctly.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Some nice family photographs on the church website.
One of John's sons is buried in the East Cemetery. Thomas Owen Roberts was drowned in the Tyne at South Shields and buried at Amble on 23 February 1899 aged 16.
According to the newspaper reports he had joined the SS Advent of Sunderland as mess steward in January. The assumption was that he had been going ashore but on getting into the boat had fallen overboard. His father, John Roberts of 72 Church Street, schoolmaster, identified the body.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I wonder if Victor Cyril Roberts married the Bishop of Durham's daughter then?

Curiouser and Curiouser
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Some nice family photographs on the church website.
John Roberts is one stern looking schoolmaster. I bet his class was very well behaved.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The assumption was that he had been going ashore but on getting into the boat had fallen overboard.
Astonishing just how few going to sea in those days could actually swim. Quite a waste of life.
Old 19-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Default Lieutenant Victor Cyril Roberts

I'm boggle-eyed leafing through the records that have survived for Roberts. His file has been purged, bits destroyed and generally decimated of the good stuff. Lots of pension stuff surviving which is not our top priority in building a picture of the man's service.

This is my go with the fragments of data we have, and a few snippets from elsewhere:

Victor Cyril Roberts was born on the 19th May 1891 in Llandegla, Denbighshire, the son of Mary and John Hooson Roberts, schoolmaster. At the time of his birth his father and oldest brother were in lodgings in Amble, John having taken up a position as schoolmaster of the Church of England school in the town. Sadly Mary was to die a few months after Victor’s birth, Victor and the seven other children previously living with Mary moving to Amble shortly afterwards. John established his family at 33 Queen Street, later moving to Dilston Terrace, the older children over this period gradually leaving school to take up employment locally. By the time of his death in 1908 John Hooson Roberts had become a well-respected member of the community, church choirmaster, and had taught a great many of Amble’s children.

In 1907 Victor gained a 5 year Engine Fitter’s apprenticeship. The following year he enlisted in the local territorial battalion of the county infantry regiment; the 7th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, attesting on the 22nd August 1908, aged 17 years and 2 months. In 1911 he is working for Broomhill Collieries Ltd. as an electrician, residing at Bede House, Bede Street with several of his siblings.

Although promoted Corporal and then Sergeant in 1913 with the territorials, and having served well over 5 years, Victor decided the 1913 annual camp was to be his last. Increased work demands caused him to request a discharge which was duly granted in June 1914, but as events unfolded in Europe later that summer it became clear war was coming and he decided to return to his battalion, re-enlisting on the 1st August 1914. His attestation at Amble was taken by Lieutenant Vernon Merivale and witnessed by Sergeant Instructor Walter John Casey.

Nine months of training and home defence followed for the men of the battalion, before eventually sailing for France and the western front in the early hours of the 21st of April 1915. Expecting a period of further training and attachment to seasoned units the battalion was surprised to learn they were to advance to the front near Ypres and attack. The battalion’s arrival in France had in fact coincided with a major German offensive using poison gas for the first time. The Germans had released 4000 chlorine gas cylinders across a 3¾ mile length of the front on the north of the Ypres salient centred on Langemarck. The shock of this weapon devastated the allied line and the front was open and the Germans advanced 2½ miles. Between the 23rd and 26th The British made several counter attacks east of Pilkem Ridge towards St Julian in an attempt to regain the lost ground but the efforts came to naught. Many men of the 7th battalion were killed or wounded in this period.

On the 26th April the battalion attacked St. Julien and during this attack Sergeant Roberts became a casualty after being shot in the forearm two inches above the wrist. He was sent to No. 11 General Hospital at Boulogne and on the 30th he was returned to the UK on the Hospital Ship Salta and admitted to the 1st Scottish General Hospital on the 2nd of May. X-rays revealed the bullet had caused a comminuted fracture of the ulna which took 107 days to heal.

Fully recovered, Roberts was nominated for a commission, and in August 1915 after training at Scarborough joined the 23rd Service Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, (4th Tyneside Scottish) as 2nd Lieutenant. In March 1916 he joined the 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and in May was attached to 9 Squadron Royal Flying Corps, with corresponding army transfer to the 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. Roberts is also recorded on attachment to the Intelligence Corps from January to May 1917. Now a Flying Officer Observer, on the 31st July 1917 he received bullet wounds to his left calf and knee while flying over Langemarck in Belgium. During this period 9 Squadron was equipped with RE.8s and was used for Artillery spotting and contact patrols in the opening stages of the battle of Passchendaele.

2.Lt. Roberts was evacuated back to United Kingdom and sent to the Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital, Whitchurch, Cardiff. After two operations, months spent on crutches and the assessment of a number of Medical Boards, it became apparent that a full recovery was increasingly unlikely. Being repeatedly graded unfit even for light duties he returned to Amble in 1919, although medical treatment continued with periods in hospital including several months in early 1920 at Wilton Grange Hospital, West Kirby, Cheshire.
Roberts was declared unfit for any further military service in April 1920 and placed on the half pay list, retiring in December 1921 on account of ill health. At this time his leg was very weak and he could not walk more than a couple of hundred yards without considerable pain.

Roberts is recorded living in his sister’s house in Bede Street on the 1926 Electoral Register, and on the 10th July 1930 he married Winifred Bessie Bradfield Earl in Hertfordshire. He died in that county on the 17th June 1959 aged 68. Winifred died in 1984.
Old 19-03-2014, 11:50 PM
Administrator

So he did turn out to be a flyer - a 'flying officer observer' -

the rear seat (with the two machine guns) in this RE 8 would be Victor's

Old 19-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Administrator

I would like to know if this bullet wound he received when flying was from the ground or in aerial combat with an enemy aircraft, but it looks like the 9 squadron records are not yet digitized.

It looks like the bullet that hit his knee caused life-long disability. He was left with hyper-extension as one of the effects. On one of the final documents, related to his pension on his death in 1959, it shows he had been graded 40% disabled.
Old 20-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Anyway, this chap is the only WW1 flyer from our area that I am aware of, unless someone else knows different?
Old 21-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Administrator

This is part of the 1908 attestation paper which shows his employment.
What do you make of the entry for employer (no 6) ? looks like "Mr Pidelity" or something? !

Can't be a small outfit if they are employing engine fitter apprentices?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vcr.jpg (48.8 KB, 21 views)