Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 28-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Default Bartie's Town

Driving from North to South Broomhill yesterday, it suddenly struck me. Who was Bartie!
Old 29-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Good question , but it wasn't much of a town . I do remember the Country Parks ,I'm sure it was called that but the Tree Tops also rings a bell .I used to have a drink there but that was a long ,long time ago !
Old 29-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Country Parks and the Tree Tops were attempts to make the former Coop a going concern again.

From the references I have come across to Barties Town it would appear to have been about 4 houses, so as you say not much of a town
Old 21-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Default broomhillboy

My grandfather lived at Barties town the window on the very top right was the bedroom on the top floor flat consisted of the bedroom living romm and kitchen ( they used a tin bath . There were 6 dwellings in Barties town and I used to play with a pal at farm cottages. My grandfather looked after the horses at the then
Co-op where he did milk deliveries on a horse and cart.
Old 21-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhillboy View Post
My grandfather lived at Barties town the window on the very top right was the bedroom on the top floor flat consisted of the bedroom living romm and kitchen ( they used a tin bath . There were 6 dwellings in Barties town and I used to play with a pal at farm cottages. My grandfather looked after the horses at the then
Co-op where he did milk deliveries on a horse and cart.

Hi BhB, do you have an old photo of the area?
It would be nice to see.
I think the name has been perpetuated into a new housing development.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:06 AM

"Barties Town is still in existence. it is the houses, about four or five, opposite where the Tree Tops or Country Parks used to be. Next to the telephone exchange.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Default berties town

from the telephone exchange you had greens bungalow then the 4 houses john noble lives there now
Old 24-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Current property values in Barties Town, South Broomhill, Morpeth NE65 Barties Town

Current property values in Barties Town, South Broomhill, Morpeth NE65

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/home-values/.../barties-town/

still an official address
Old 24-02-2014, 07:04 PM

Looks like the bungalow and 5 houses . I can remember the houses by the roadside but forget about the ones set back from the road.

Last edited by rickt; 27-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 23-08-2015, 11:00 AM

I've accidentally come across a reference in a 1882 Morpeth Herald to a birth at Six Cottages, Broomhill Colliery.

I wonder if this is actually Barties Town, so which came first??
Old 23-08-2015, 06:49 PM

As far as I remember the six cottages were in North Broomhill itself, about opposite the welfare where there are now two bungalows.
Old 23-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Default Six Cottages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
As far as I remember the six cottages were in North Broomhill itself, about opposite the welfare where there are now two bungalows.
You just knew I would comment Alan, didn't you?
Six Cottages was at North Broomhill, as you said. Where the bungalows you refer to are, they are in fact built on the ground that formed No 6 and it's garden. The row ran at right angles to the main road, along the south wall of the Co-op. I was born at No4 and lived there almost 15 years. The kitchen/living room had a magnificent view of the store managers house (a very close and detailed view) and our front room looked towards the gable end of Stone Row. There was a room upstairs that had two skylights in the roof. It would be fair to say, there wasn't much of an outlook from our house!
I believe there are now two private houses built on the land, roughly where 1, 2 and 3 stood. I would have to study Google Earth to get a more precise position on those houses.
Living so close to the welfare leaves me believing that was why I was mad on playing football as a youngster. Happy Days.
Old 24-08-2015, 06:27 AM

Correct Derilda, just to add a bit more flavour, Ray Brison lives in one of the bungalows. I believe he lived in the Six Cottages as a youth, a neighbour of yours. I was an apprentice electrician with him at Hauxley.
Old 24-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Smile Re Six Cottages

Yes Alan, Ray Bryson lives in one of the mentioned bungalows, and used to live at No2 with his three brothers. We are still in touch via the web.
Old 23-10-2015, 02:23 PM

Default bbb

Hi I was born in Bartiestown it consisted of 6 houses and 2 flats 3 houses and 1 flat at the front with front and back doors 3 houses and 1 flat at the back with only a back door they were for coop workers and my father was also a horsekeeper and the greengrocer for the coop