Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default Warkworth Church mysterious arch ??

While doing our survey of St Lawrence's Churchyard for the core material of the Amble and District site, we noticed two arches built into the north section of the churchyard wall, facing out onto the narrow road down to the riverside. (see pic)

maybe it's obvious, so excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know what they were for?? they are, on the churchyard side, completely below ground level.

one arch shown here - the other is just visible joining the springer stone and passing off camera to the left:

together they join, off camera, this length of wall.

Old 20-04-2010, 11:47 PM

They do look like functional arches, being footed onto quoins rather than decorative arches. I wonder how much higher the modern road is compared to the surface when this wall was built in a.d.? I can,t imagine they,ve ever been high enough for folk to walk through. Perhaps a watercourse, open sewer or similar allowing run off to the river?
Old 21-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Good thinking, yes perhaps the road has built up over the years, and they may have a fair bit more height to them. Behind the wall is the earth of the churchyard though, which is built up to the top of the wall (with two very large trees close to the wall.) very mysterious
Old 25-04-2010, 01:34 PM

Wouldn't mind having a bit dig around to find out. Can't see that happening though. lol
Old 25-04-2010, 01:38 PM

By the way, well done on that piece for St Lawrence you've got on Genuki. I found out a few things i hadn't come across before
Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
By the way, well done on that piece for St Lawrence you've got on Genuki. I found out a few things i hadn't come across before

...and the more we read the more questions we have. it's a bit addictive this local history thing.

Regarding the churchyard, there was a bit of digging going on against the north side of the church a year or two ago, not near the mysterious arches though. Two new buttresses have been installed, during the excavations they uncovered at least one skeleton (unsurprisingly) and I'm sure it was an early one, 12c maybe?

Anyway, I wonder if the north of the churchyard was elevated at some point over older medieval burials so they could fit more in? do they do that sort of thing?
Thinking about the number of burials the place has had to accommodate over 800 or 900 years, plus the alleged 300 killed in the Warkworth Massacre? space must be a little cramped in there.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Here's the north side with the two new buttresses, stick out like sore thumbs don't they? never mind will be totally blended in in 300 years.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

here's that drawing of it a little closer to its original form:

the organic lawnmowers look contented anyway.