Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Default House for Sale

I wonder which property this was in Warkworth. The Henry Henderson referred to is my 4 times great grandfather.
Newcastle Courant 22 February 1800:
"To be sold by private contract at Warkworth. A coomodious private dwelling house, consisting of six rooms and a garrett, a five stalled stable, a large yard and garden, with a quarter of an acre of ground, known by the name of Rig and Embermire ; and two seats in the church. Also half an acre of ground on the Leazes, two stints on the Moor, with several small pieces of ground in the New Town, all belonging to Joseph Fawcus.
For particulars apply to Mr Henry Henderson, merchant, Warkworth, or Mr. Bell, Attorney at Law, Alnwick."
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Default house for sale

hi janwhin,
got to say thats agreat buy, wonder how much it
went for. did like the bit " two seats in the church ".

regards, william.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Embermire, sounds like Buts area , Ember gardens , one of the large houses, The Customs house ,pilot and harbour masters houses were there for when Warkworth was a harbour ??????,
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Embermire, sounds like Buts area , Ember gardens , one of the large houses, The Customs house ,pilot and harbour masters houses were there for when Warkworth was a harbour ??????,
Embermire, sounds like Bridge st, Castle st, before the Butts were developed, as a number of houses on Bridge st have stables and buildings out back.

Warkworth as a village, was never a harbour with customs, pilot, masters houses etc, think you may have a mix up there with the original/current name for Amble Harbour area!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM

I noticed that the relatively modern house set back in gardens on Bridge Street is called Emberside House.

How does this sound, back in the day, as written by Hodgson (on the sister site), tenants in Warkworth had strips of land at a place called Endemyre, called Endmyre by the 1580s. This has gradually become corrupted to Ember and so is probably on what is now the Butts. The strip of land theory is strengthened by the house being called "Rig" and Embermyre.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Housing developement in rear is called Ember Gardens ,

Why I say that a house on buts was for what I said is I visited said house couple of years ago , you can see from outside originally was three dwellings, I mentioned this and was told it was originally The customs house , Pilot and masters houses , for the harbour, as to when or true not sure but the river was navigable before dams etc put in dropping levels, so feasible that the buts could have been mooring unloading place . ???? Plus Sykes has reports of Boat trips from the Tyne To Warkworth ? in his local records books, remembering Warkworth was closest village to coast , In the Alnwick District Council "Warkworth
Conservation Area Character Appraisal" it actually states that >>>>>>Warkworth flourished in the medieval period as a harbour and market town. this is pre river course change ??

Medieval period, lasted from the 5th to the 15th century.

Last edited by leslie; 10-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Leslie, I don't think that ships came up to Warkworth, I wouldn't have thought there was ever enough depth, even at high tide. Early references to shipping seem to have the names of Amble and Warkworth as interchangeable, probably because Amble was part of Warkworth parish.
I would guess that the officials responsible for dealing with shipping would live in Warkworth, for preference, as Amble was a pretty basic place (no comments please ) and would have a mooring for boats so that they either went down to the mouth of the river or people came up when shipping moored.
I've never heard reference made to the discovery of jetty foundations or such by the Butts, but somebody else might have.
I have one Warkworth ancestor who married a customs official....he was based in Warkworth for a while, with an extensive "ride" but was moved around the northern region. They did keep a property in Warkworth though.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:14 PM

original Estuary and river course was north of Amble and current course as you know, 1764 changed . prior to that a harbour is referred to as I said above. , also birling? Warkworth New Town 14th century recorded and as having Moorings for Fishing vessels , and the main male population listed as Fishermen and Sailors ?In 16th century A pinnace came ashore at the Coquet mouth of, Further north it was brought up river as close to castle as possible and masts sails and cargo moved to castle ,

all prior to course change , i am just an interested party with only my collection of a few old Northumberland books to refer to, no access to official records , other than what i come across or told by local residents as was case in original post
,I will always bow to superior knowledge.

But there again one book I have refers to the Castle at Alnmouth ??????the Book is 200 plus years old ,
Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM

My collection of Northumberland books dating back to 1750. i will gladly as Coquet will vouch ,are available for any interested part to peruse , not all can get to the records or have the knowledge how to, my only experience of trying to access national records was a miserable very costly failure. profesional researchers had them prebooked for months to come , i was there for one day only and they could not let me see them for that reason , KEW! so started building my own collection I actually have an original copy of the Ballad of The Hermit Of Warkworth circa 1771
Old 10-10-2013, 04:30 PM

Is it recorded where the inscription in latin was in warkworth, translated as "my tears have been my meat day and night
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Leslie, someone after my own heart....old books

The house on the Butts which you visited, presumably it is an 18/19th century build?

I'm impressed with your Hermit document. My mother, who went to school in Warkworth, obviously had to learn the ballad by heart. She would often launch into the opening lines but we never got any further than.."dark was the night and wild the storm and loud the torrent roared." As you can see it's all I know!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 PM

wil take photo of it , it is an impressive building standing alone , age from the build varies, I think it is called Coquet House ??

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...warkworth-/map

pic on street view

Last edited by leslie; 11-10-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Leslie, someone after my own heart....old books

The house on the Butts which you visited, presumably it is an 18/19th century build?

I'm impressed with your Hermit document. My mother, who went to school in Warkworth, obviously had to learn the ballad by heart. She would often launch into the opening lines but we never got any further than.."dark was the night and wild the storm and loud the torrent roared." As you can see it's all I know!
i have old church school mags from fifties done by children the vicar then was a bishop. most of kids , writing are who i was at school with at Amble modern .
now 64 -67 of age ,

would put on here but most contributors still alive and local and may object to me publishing on here,cannot contact all to get their permission.

Last edited by leslie; 11-10-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Image (35).jpg

Image (36).jpg

the document is 52 pages
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000

I have four framed (by me)prints that I bought in a Norwich bookshop,the book was being broken up and was 1790.The prints are of the "Hermtage""Warkworth castle" "Bamburgh castle"and "Dunstanburgh castle".They have been copied as I saw the same ones(but with attached description)in a pub in Warkworth.I also have several old books on Northumberland but most from the 1920 s.