Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Default New member- John Thompson

I happened across this forum whist dipping into some family history and it's provided some fascinating information already.

My grandfather, Thomas Thompson, lived his all to short life in the area and I'm slowing finding out about his 33 year journey which ended when he contracted typhoid fever at Bullock's Hall colliery in 1918. My Dad was born in 1917 at 7 Chevington Cresent- thanks to this site I now know where that was- as of course he never knew his father my Dad's knowledge of events was patchy.

In the last two years we've managed to find my grandad's previously unmarked resting place in Chevington Cemetery and put a marker there with a pit pony on it. His lifelong passion was horses and he worked on various estates as a groom before becoming a colliery labourer, engineman and then hcoal ewer who worked with the ponies in the years before the Great War. The family lived in Rothbury, Eglingham, Newton Barns, Amble, Red Row (Reed Raw as my dad pronounced it) before West Chevington. My grandmother was left with four sons and sent them all to university- I don't know how.
Such a hard life, we've no idea how lucky we are.

Although I live in the south of England we get to Northumberland each year, such a fantastic part of the country.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I too have ancestors from West Chevington. Sadly the place is now completely erased by open-cast mining.
Old 16-11-2020, 07:58 PM

My grandfather Tom Edwards worked at the pit there, later lived at South Broomhill then Hadston. Deputy at North Broomhill I think