Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Default House for Sale

I wonder which property this was in Warkworth. The Henry Henderson referred to is my 4 times great grandfather.
Newcastle Courant 22 February 1800:
"To be sold by private contract at Warkworth. A coomodious private dwelling house, consisting of six rooms and a garrett, a five stalled stable, a large yard and garden, with a quarter of an acre of ground, known by the name of Rig and Embermire ; and two seats in the church. Also half an acre of ground on the Leazes, two stints on the Moor, with several small pieces of ground in the New Town, all belonging to Joseph Fawcus.
For particulars apply to Mr Henry Henderson, merchant, Warkworth, or Mr. Bell, Attorney at Law, Alnwick."
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Default house for sale

hi janwhin,
got to say thats agreat buy, wonder how much it
went for. did like the bit " two seats in the church ".

regards, william.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Embermire, sounds like Buts area , Ember gardens , one of the large houses, The Customs house ,pilot and harbour masters houses were there for when Warkworth was a harbour ??????,
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Embermire, sounds like Buts area , Ember gardens , one of the large houses, The Customs house ,pilot and harbour masters houses were there for when Warkworth was a harbour ??????,
Embermire, sounds like Bridge st, Castle st, before the Butts were developed, as a number of houses on Bridge st have stables and buildings out back.

Warkworth as a village, was never a harbour with customs, pilot, masters houses etc, think you may have a mix up there with the original/current name for Amble Harbour area!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:16 PM

I noticed that the relatively modern house set back in gardens on Bridge Street is called Emberside House.

How does this sound, back in the day, as written by Hodgson (on the sister site), tenants in Warkworth had strips of land at a place called Endemyre, called Endmyre by the 1580s. This has gradually become corrupted to Ember and so is probably on what is now the Butts. The strip of land theory is strengthened by the house being called "Rig" and Embermyre.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Housing developement in rear is called Ember Gardens ,

Why I say that a house on buts was for what I said is I visited said house couple of years ago , you can see from outside originally was three dwellings, I mentioned this and was told it was originally The customs house , Pilot and masters houses , for the harbour, as to when or true not sure but the river was navigable before dams etc put in dropping levels, so feasible that the buts could have been mooring unloading place . ???? Plus Sykes has reports of Boat trips from the Tyne To Warkworth ? in his local records books, remembering Warkworth was closest village to coast , In the Alnwick District Council "Warkworth
Conservation Area Character Appraisal" it actually states that >>>>>>Warkworth flourished in the medieval period as a harbour and market town. this is pre river course change ??

Medieval period, lasted from the 5th to the 15th century.

Last edited by leslie; 10-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.