Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 14-03-2014, 12:43 PM

Default Chevington Churchyard Burials

The story behind the name......Hannah Grieves, aged 28 of Togston Crescent, buried 28 September 1899.
Morpeth Herald, 30 September:
"Dr C Clarke Burman, deputy coroner for North Northumberland, held an inquest on Wednesday at the Broomhill Hotel, Broomhill, on the body of Hannah Grieves, who was found dead in a poss-barrel, on Tuesday, under the following circumsatnces:-George Grieves, miner, Togston Terrace, deposed that deceased was his wife, aged 28 years. On Tuesday he laft home at 5.45 a.m. His wife was quite well. She was pregnant, seven months. She had an epileptic fit six months ago. About 3.35 p.m. he was sent for to the pit. He found deceased lying on the floor, and some of the neighbours were in the house.......
Jane Jordan deposed that she and a neighbour had gone together becasue the deceased's child was crying and found the deceased in the poss barrel. Her head would be covered with the water. Her feet were hanging over the edge of the barrel, quite off the floor. They removed her. She was quite dead.......
Peter Rough, medical practitioner, residing at Broomhill, deposed that on Tuesday he was sent for to see Mrs Grieves, who was said to have taken a fit and fallen into a poss barrel. He found deceased on the floor, dead. He found no marks of violence on the body and it was very probable that deceased had had a fit and might have fallen into the poss barrel if she was stooping over, and death would ensue from suffocation....."
Old 14-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Here's another one....Thomas Crisp, aged 30 of Togston Terrace, buried 8 March 1898.

Hartlepool Mail, 7 March 1898:-
"A sad accident occurred at Acklington Station on Saturday night, when a man named Thomas Chrisp, residing at Togston-Terrace, Broomhill, lost his life. It appears that Chrisp had been at Alnwick hirings and got into the fish train going south. The train is not timed to stop at Acklington, and it is supposed that the man must have tried to jump on to the platform whilst the train was travelling at high speed. The body was found lying on the rails close to the platform in a terribly mutilated condition, and he was taken to the waiting room to await the inquest. Chrisp was about 30 years of age, and leaves a widow and two children."
Old 15-03-2014, 05:05 PM

Burial at St Lawrence, Warkworth:
Thomas Thompson of Togston buried 9 January 1868, aged 19 years.

Newcastle Courant, 10 January:-
"On Monday evening a fatal accident occurred at Togston Colliery. A father and son, named respectively John and Thomas Thompson, went to work at a sinking shaft now in operation at the above place. It is the shaft now used as the working shaft, and which they were sinking to a lower seam at night, after the regular work of the day is over. Before drawing the water out of the sump (which is seven fathoms deep, there being about ten feet of water in at the time), they, along with another man, proceeded to repair a cistern, from which the water runs into the standage, where stands the pumps. The young man, Thomas Thompson, was stepping across the trap door, which he had newly raised, when he fell to the bottom. Assistance was quickly at hand, but it was nearly two hours before he was got out of the water, life was found to be extinct."
Old 15-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Burial Chevington Churchyard. William John Hillier Selfe of Togston Terrace, buried 27 January 1906, aged 62.

Morpeth Herald 3 February:-
"On Saturday last Mr Charles Percy held an inquest on the body of WIlliam John Hilliard Selfe, who had died the previous day, having sustained injuries through a fall of stone......Thomas Hetherington said he was a putter at Broomhill Colliery. He worked with the deceased and on 13 October he was putting off for the deceased. When witness went into the face where he worked he found him sitting on his cracket with a large stone on the top of his shoulder and back which had fallen on him. It had fallen from the roof. He got assistance and got him out.....
Dr Moyes got him home and examined him and found he was suffering from a spinal injury....He attended him until October 26 and then got him to the Newcastle Royal Infirmary. He came back on the 10 November. Death was due from the fracture of the spine and subsequent complications, the result of the accident."
Old 22-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Administrator

What a shocking collection of deaths.

Wonder why they could not get a rope to the youth that fell into Togston shaft sump? he was only 32 feet down. [or chuck in a wooden balk or sleeper as a float??]

Even more curious - there was 10 feet of water which they pump out each night before starting work - why didn't they fire up the pump and start to empty the sump until he could get his feet on the bottom?

[of course we have mentioned before just how few could swim in those days, which is probably the reason for his death - he was probably drowned in the first few minutes]
Old 22-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Someone emailed me not too long ago asking about memorials to mining deaths. We have none, but it is not a bad idea in my opinion. We are a coal town.
Old 22-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Someone emailed me not too long ago asking about memorials to mining deaths. We have none, but it is not a bad idea in my opinion. We are a coal town.

A local whinstone square tapering column placed on the highest point of the path of the old rail line to the stathes that overlooks the dock at the harbour. [the area improved and redesigned to take the memorial] Whinstone because every miner would recognise this stone from the dykes and sills that invade the colliery workings around here. Engraved with the name and year of death of those who have died since 1837.

Whinstone, when cut and polished is as black as coal as well.

I'll make sure this happens when I win the euromillons.
Old 23-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I'll make sure this happens when I win the euromillons.
Well done Coquet, and one for drownings too. Something else to go into the new harbour development.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:25 AM

Default Removal from Another Parish

Occasionally there is an entry against a burial which states that the body was removed from another parish. This newspaper article shows the hazards of doing just that:
Morpeth Herald, Saturday 26 April 1902:

"On Sunday, an unfortunate accident happened in connection with a funeral on its way from Gosforth to Broomhill, travelling by road. When crossing the Millford at Ulgham, near Morpeth, the hearse was overturned, and both it and the coffin fell into the bed of the burn. The ford, at its best is a very awkward one, and at its worst, and to a driver who did not know it, a dangerous one. The hearse was broken, but fortunately the coffin was not damaged. The driver was somewhat seriously injured, and still remains at Ulgham, where he is attended by Dr. Gunn, Widdrington. After considerable delay, a flat was procured, and on it the coffin was carried the remainder of the way to Broomhill."
Old 20-12-2016, 07:50 PM

Default Hannah Grieves - Togston

I am researching my grandfather George(Robert) Grieves who died 03 01 1921.
I knew very little so started with his Canadian War Medals and 1 picture of him in army uniform. I found his army history on line. I then discovered that he became a home child and was sent to Canada at the age of 15. His death card says his mother was Hannah and his father George of Broomhill. Information just received after a 6 month wait tells me that Hannah is 100% my great grandmother. George obviously has to be the child mentioned in the newspaper report.His birth date seems to be under question and even the army record contains 2 different dates.I cannot find a birth cert which matches either 100%. I don't know what number Togston Terrace they lived at nor whether Hannah and George were married. So Hannah died in 1899 and I now know that George died in c 1902. If anyone has any scrap of information it would be much appreciated or can tell me who to contact that would be great.
Old 18-01-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Memorial to Mining Deaths

Sad to read about what would be considered avoidable deaths these days. The Durham Mining Museum has some similar information if you haven't already checked it out - for instance for William Selfe:
http://www.dmm.org.uk/individ1/i11981.htm
Old 18-01-2017, 04:19 PM

It's a regular in these type of reports to see that no blame can be attributed to the management as there was a plentiful supply of timber. Whether the timber was there at the time of the accident or at the time of the inspectors visit is open to interpretation.