Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Administrator

It's easy to get your everyday problems out of perspective. Everything that's important comes back into focus after an hour or so in a cemetery. Although perhaps just a small percentage of people like that sensation. Which is probably just as well.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I'd have Chevington and Amble West transcribed by now if it wasn't for work getting in the way
Old 10-09-2015, 03:21 PM

This memorial must be lost in the undergrowth, sad given the occasion and effort that obviously went into it.

Morpeth Herald, 21 April 1894:

"The erection of a memorial stone to the late David Allan Gibson, second son of Thomas Gibson, bandmaster, Broomhill Colliery, took place in Chevington Churchyard on Saturday last before a large company of spectators. The deceased was a talented and promising violinist, and was a member of the band and the Coquetdale Minstrels, and was very highly esteemed by all who knew him both for his abilities and benevolent character. A few months ago a committee was chosen by the band and minstrels for the purpose of holding concerts to raise funds to erect some memorial in recognition of his services rendered in the neighbourhood, with the above result. The stone, which is of grey granite, and is of monumental shape, its dimensions being 4ft 6in at the base and rising to the height of 11ft 2in is a splendid piece of workmanship, reflecting great credit on the committee in their choice of design, and also on the firm, Messrs Davison and Company of Aberdeen, who were entrusted with the order through the agency of Messrs Green and Douglass of Amble. The committee takes this opportunity of thanking the public in general for the hearty manner in which they have responded to their call."
David Allan Gibson died in 1893, aged 21.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Administrator

It is possibly along the west north wall which had an area thick with brambles. It must also be broken or dismantled if it is (was) over 11 foot high.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Just had a look in the churchyard a few mins ago. Well, they've given up on maintaining it. Weeds are 5 foot high. I remember the churchwarden saying the council had taken over the maintenance of the churchyard. So cut backs in action.

The west wall is still part accessible, just.
Granite stones are not that common so this (below) enormous block could be part of it. Gray granite, about 4' and a 1' thick. No inscription visible. It has been plonked on top of, and obscuring the inscription of another stone, but the bottom stone is of a different material.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Administrator

I would be quite happy to volunteer to maintain access to that churchyard. In the sense of a 5 or 6 foot wide path around the perimeter i.e. where the stones are, and two diagonal 5 foot wide paths across the centre. I recon two afternoons to go along one side with a decent brush cutter, would be generous.

Would I get sick? Good exercise regime?

So if any council types are reading this you have a free strimmer man for Chevington Church, at least for one year! I'd even upgrade my existing cutter!

I imagine 'elf and safety rules are the problem though, stopping such volunteers ! (or public sector unions )
Old 11-09-2015, 12:32 PM

Nice work, Coquet. From what I gather there is still a debate about who is responsible........and the grass and brambles keep on growing.
There must be a lot of fit young lads at Hadston House who could do a bit of volunteering. Isn't this Scott Dickinson's domain??
Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Administrator

I've sent Cllr. Dickinson an email and a link to this thread.

I'm not sure if you can access this website from Public Sector computers. A friend in Durham said we were blocked on his local library computer.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Got a reply straight back from Cllr. Scott Dickinson. The Church had opted for a 'Wild Garden' approach to the churchyard, but has at times since then requested that the council to do some cutting. Also a charity, Tomorrow's People has been doing some work occasionally. So the Church decides on the work, but it is done by the council or volunteer organisations. Scott suggests contacting the church which I will do.

I think the wild approach, creating a wildlife habitat, is being used at Amble East Cemetery, but just on 50%. On the subject of wildlife and cemeteries I recall as a child catching lizards (and letting them go of course) at the east cemetery, they lived in the crumbling perimeter walls. Unfortunately the walls were all eventually repaired and repointed so that put an end to that. That was the only place in the district I've ever seen native lizards in abundance.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Well isn't that interesting. Good on him for replying promptly.

I don't think anyone has told the vicar about the process!

I see that Tomorrow's People is a national organisation.......Amble, Blyth and Newcastle being the local regional bases.