Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 19-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Default Victor Cyril Roberts

My thanks to the group for filling in a bit of my family tree. Victor Cyril Roberts was my Grandmothers Brother. The family in Amble were
John Hooson Roberts (Father)
John Roberts (Son)
Adelaide Roberts (Daughter)
Charlotte Gwladys (Daughter)
Jeannie Roberts (Daughter & my Gran)
Thomas Owen Roberts (Son)
Robert G D Roberts (Son killed on the somme)
Hugh Roberts (Son)
Victor Cyril Roberts (Son)

Hugh was married to a French lady called Illot or similar, his daughter Pamela Roberts attended the Duchess School, and eventually joined ENSA and starred along side Jack Hawkins entertaining the troups in India. I believe there was some story of his wife attempting to snatch Pamela from the Medd school when they divorced.
Adelaide and Gwladys were active in the local amateur dramatics, they never married. I believe it was John that married the bishop of Durhams daughter but I never actually found the connection, he may have gone to Australia.
Jeannie came to Huddersfield where she met my Grandfather.
Thanks again for filling in a few holes.
Old 22-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Hi HPH welcome to the forum, nice to have more information.

I was looking at the Roberts later home, no. 5 Bede Street the other day in passing; its construction is quite different from the rest of the terrace it is now in. I think it must have been one of the houses built initially in isolation mentioned in the 1876 account in this thread

I see Robert G.D. Roberts first initial is missing from the war memorial. It's not unusual; there are a few errors on our memorials. Now I know from the Absent voters list that Hugh was a captain in the 19th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, but did the other remaining two serve as well? Thomas Owen and John?

Quote:
Hugh was married to a French lady called Illot or similar,
I wonder if he met his wife in France during the war?
Old 22-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Pamela Roberts attended the Duchess School, and eventually joined ENSA and starred along side Jack Hawkins entertaining the troups in India.

There's an excellent documentary on ENSA by the BBC but it's unfortunately fallen off the iplayer at the moment!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014v51p

I wouldn't be surprised if she rubbed shoulders with Vera Lynn as well, as she went to Burma and India.
Old 22-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I was looking at the Roberts later home, no. 5 Bede Street the other day in passing; its construction is quite different from the rest of the terrace it is now in.
When I was looking amongst the stuff on Amble House at Woodhorn, a few months ago, I came across this proposed building plan of 1920 which was prepared on behalf of Dr Smyth who was also selling Amble House. With apologies for the drawing
I passed it on to Hollydog who found it a bit confusing because it looked like some of the proposed housing was already up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920 Proposed Housing Development.jpg (34.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 22-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Edit - I've deleted my ramblings regarding that sketch janwhin, I'm totally confused !

I'll let someone else have a go at explaining that one!
Old 22-05-2014, 10:35 AM

Lightweight
Old 22-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Administrator

it's a puzzle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery!
Old 22-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the add.
I am not sure about Thomas or John, I knew Hugh served, R.G.D.Roberts fell in 1917 on the Somme, It's a family story that his brother was with him at the end, I believe that to be Hugh. I met Hugh when I was young, he ran a Greengrocers in Warkworth, he was living with his wife Frances and his sister Adelaide.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPHabron View Post
Thanks for the add.
I am not sure about Thomas or John, I knew Hugh served, R.G.D.Roberts fell in 1917 on the Somme, It's a family story that his brother was with him at the end, I believe that to be Hugh. I met Hugh when I was young, he ran a Greengrocers in Warkworth, he was living with his wife Frances and his sister Adelaide.
Yes I noticed he appears in the phone books in the 60s and 70s at 9 Bridge Street. Would those premises also be the Grocers shop as well?
Old 28-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Here's another Amble 7th Battalion fatality for that 'baptism of fire' period in late April 1915.

Private George William Geggie, aged 23 (killed 26th April 1915)

Son of George and Joanna Geggie, of the Blue Bell Hotel, Amble, Morpeth, Northumberland. No known grave. One of the "known unto god" graves, or still in a field somewhere, or worse, body disintegrated by shellfire and the general churn of the front line.

George William is a 12 19 year old coal miner on the 1911 census. George senior innkeeper of the Blue Bell.
Old 28-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
it's a puzzle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery!
These war diaries are going to your head....going all Churchillian on me. My dad used to quote this about my sister
Old 28-05-2014, 06:58 PM

If George William was 12 in 1911 he would only be 16 in 1915, not 23, could there be another George William somewhere. Hughie Roberts was long associated with Warkworth Golf club in several official capacities and there is still an H Roberts trophy played for annually at the club.
Old 28-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
If George William was 12 in 1911 he would only be 16 in 1915, not 23, could there be another George William somewhere. Hughie Roberts was long associated with Warkworth Golf club in several official capacities and there is still an H Roberts trophy played for annually at the club.
Yes sorry that should be 19. The Geggies are still in the Blue Bell on the 1926 register but not recording a George and Joanna - instead John and Elizabeth Geggie?

The Newspaper took a long time to publish a photo of George W, didn't appear until 1916.
Old 29-05-2014, 11:09 AM

The H Roberts Trophy is being played for at Warkworth Golf Club this Saturday 31st May.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Hugh Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
The H Roberts Trophy is being played for at Warkworth Golf Club this Saturday 31st May.
Please pass my congratulations to the winner of the cup. Hugh was a traveller for Dunlop for many years, and quite a good golfer as I understand.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Private James William Davidson, Hauxley

This soldier's death war reported in the Gazette on the 5th February 1916. Think they have him as a Davison when it looks like it should be Davidson.

From Hauxley. Is he missing from the memorials?

poor picture as usual. Sorry.

The Northumberland Fusiliers volume of the work "Soldiers Died in the Great War" has him as:

Davidson, James William, enlisted Amble, Northumberland, 3467, Private, Killed in Action, France and Flanders, 24th January 1916.