Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Radcliffe was a vibrant,self sufficient village with schools, a pub and a club , Co oP store, W I , butchers, chip shop, welfare, among other things. People lived all their lives there until it was finally demolished in 1972 with the remaining population having gone to Amble.
Yes, he moved on to the aptly named Radcliffe estate.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 AM

Default blown away

all the years spent in Amble in my youth and I find it great to see that what I have only ever known as fields and a few houses were these little vibrant places stood. Chevington as well. More should be done to promote this site within the local schools. To see maps of old Radcliffe is amazing along with the photos of railway lines in Amble where I have only ever known Straffen Court and the station out the back of my nans old flat (Cartington Court just of the level crossing on Percy Street)
keep up the good work everyone, its amazing to see.
P.S may have just been a dream but I am pretty sure I can just remember Marks bridge, when did it come down and also, where exactly was newburgh. My stepda had hispaper round from Radcliffe down to Hauxley so I guess this was part of it.
Old 15-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Having looked at that Google link, I am pretty sure that this is a bungalow where I used to babysit, aged 14/15 back in 1964/65! I lived at Radcliffe Club where my dad was steward.