Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default Radcliffe timeline

The Rise and Fall of Radcliffe.

Well, I got the blank page up for the time-line.

so who is first to contribute?? just post your piece in here and I'll copy it over

Time I plough on with the WW1 deaths.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Administrator

The newspaper archives are full of stuff if anyone has access, buildings going up, railway, water supply, coal seams coming on stream, drifts being sunk, death of village notables, Janwhin's Radcliffe mining deaths, ww2 bombing, wartime deaths of locals on active service, etc etc.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Administrator

The beginning is a bit unfathomable at the moment but we don't have to dwell on that at this stage.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Administrator

I can't even find the date it was hit by a land mine. Not a good start. It is on here somewhere.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I can't even find the date it was hit by a land mine. Not a good start. It is on here somewhere.
Sunday, 15 February 1942, at 8:22 pm I believe
Old 05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Done. Should have some CWGC details for the 1942 event as they list civilian deaths as well.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:11 PM

Default Radcliffe school

My mother Elizabeth Usher who attended the village school won a place at Alnwick grammar school circa 1927. She claimed that after the school was bombed during WW2 the role of pupils gaining scholarships could be seen on a remaining wall. Has anyone any knowledge of this. She lived in Leslie row, her father William(Billy)Usher was a miner and served in the Northumberland Fusiliers during WW1.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Reading between the lines it looks like the lease came up for auction in 1867 to settle the estate of John Harrison, but did not sell??

We also have Ladbroke in the equation in 1842, as it's 'Ladbroke and Browne', 1842, on the dedication stone of the school that opened in 1843.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladbroke_and_browne_stone_radcliffe_colliery.jpg (52.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 PM

I don't know whether the Ladbroke was local. Certainly there was a London banking firm, Kingscote and Ladbroke. Wheels within wheels.
Old 14-08-2015, 01:26 PM

My grandfather was a coal miner and lived in Radcliffe Terrace in the 1920's. I am hoping to visit next year but there does not appear to be much left of Radcliffe village to see.
Old 14-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My grandfather was a coal miner and lived in Radcliffe Terrace in the 1920's. I am hoping to visit next year but there does not appear to be much left of Radcliffe village to see.
Pretty much all gone unfortunately, the site of the terraces is now agricultural fields. Some of the forum members have some nice photos on here if you click the 'All Albums' link above. Pictures 29 to 34 in the Forsyth Image Collection also show some of the village.

I'm rather ashamed to say we don't have a heritage centre for visitors like yourself to come to. Our communities have been erased from the surface of the earth by opencast mining and none of the profit from that activity has been invested locally to preserve and promote the history of what they destroyed in any sort of focused way. 'The powers that be' are only into retail and overpriced housing.
Old 17-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the photo link. It was great to see what is was like in Radcliffe. I have found some further information that shows my grandfather was residing in number 7 Newburgh Row following his army discharge in 1918.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM

I now have further information that shows my great and great great grandfathers were also coal miners in Radcliffe. I will be over next year so will check out the Amble cemetery as I think one is buried there.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Thanks for the photo link. It was great to see what is was like in Radcliffe. I have found some further information that shows my grandfather was residing in number 7 Newburgh Row following his army discharge in 1918.
Bluedog, he's not on the 1918 absent voters list? - We have soldiers from No.3 and No.11; but not No.7. I'm always curious regarding the men that are not recorded as casualties in the papers or on the AVL list. We need them identified for the full story of the local contribution to the Great War.