Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Default British Empire Medal 1942

Aircraftwoman Doris M Nichol of Amble, British Empire Medal for gallant conduct, which merited the distinguished award. WAAF telephonist, continued at post during air raid on her camp, and despite being wounded kept open communications and succeeded in despatching urgent messages.
Lived at Smith Street and prior to joining up over a year previously was a bus conductress at Alnwick.
Old 13-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post

5. LG 23/8/1916 Military Medal
20/743 Pte. R. Ditchburn, Northumberland Fusiliers
[20th Battalion Tyneside Scottish - Sheen and Stewart’s book ‘Tyneside Scottish’ records Ditchburn as being from 8 Marks Row, Amble]
1911 census has him at 79 Marks Row, a married coal miner. Absent Voters List has him at 81 Marks Row and prisoner of war.
Old 14-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
1911 census has him at 79 Marks Row, a married coal miner. Absent Voters List has him at 81 Marks Row and prisoner of war.

Stewart and Sheen also have him recorded as wounded 27/2/17, but also serving in the 8th and 1/5th Battalions. 27/2/17 is possibly the day he became a guest of the Kaiser too!

Anyway, if the Military Medal was won with the Tyneside Scottish [almost certainly is], then it's a Somme award with that LG date, possibly the 1st Day. [which is a very exciting thing] [The Gazettes for the 10th and 23rd of August 1916 are known to contain a good number of 1st of July Somme awards]
Old 14-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Photo, undated outside 18 Bede St with a number of prominent people in the town. Not sure who is who but the photo reads Messrs Carse,McAndrews,Harrison,F Young (although my father is not sure it is him) Sanderson and Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 bede st.jpg (43.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 14-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Will that be T.L. McAndrews Janwin's just written about?

This is pre-war because the railings are still up. (I'm getting good at this history malarky)
Old 15-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Photo, undated outside 18 Bede St with a number of prominent people in the town. Not sure who is who but the photo reads Messrs Carse,McAndrews,Harrison,F Young (although my father is not sure it is him) Sanderson and Lee
That's a great photo. I think Mr Carse might be on my movers and shakers list. Would F Young be of the shop? Isn't it N & F Young?

There'll be a slight pause on our interesting people as I'm away from broadband for the next week or so Newspaper images take a while to download.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Re Gallantry medal winners. We have Vernon Merivale, MC and bar. MC in the 1916 new year's honours, bar: LG 23/7/18

Capt. Vernon Merivale, M.C., North'd Fus.
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to
duty. During two days of severe fighting he
handled his company with great daring and
ability, and at one time took command of
the battalion, leading it with the greatest
courage, under intense shell fire, to a most
important rendezvous. Throughout the
operations he set a splendid example to all
ranks.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Administrator

The Merivales were from Togston, two brothers of the above also appear to have served, also officers in the 7th NF, both killed. 1. 2. (Both commemorated on the Amble War Memorial)

The father was John Herman Merivale, Mining Engineer and first Professor of Mining at Durham University.*

From the census returns I assume they lived in Togston Hall as it states the premises has 13 rooms - I cannot think of anything else at Togston with 13 rooms!

*and Chairman of the Broomhill Coal Co. Ltd and its successor company in 1900 [ref: 'The Broomhill/Amble Undersea Project, A Viewpoint' by Dr. Eric Wade]
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
(Both commemorated on the Amble War Memorial)
N.B. Big turn out today in Amble for the Remembrance Service.
Old 14-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Many thanks to Janwhin for the Joseph Welch bio, the latest addition to the movers and shakers page. Welch was a most interesting gentleman who suffered an untimely end.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Default More Gallantry Medal Winners

We have 3079 Company Sergeant Major Walter John Casey, Northumberland Fusiliers who won the Military Medal and was Mentioned in Dispatches in the Great War. He was later commissioned into the Highland Light Infantry. His address on his medal index card is 29 High Street; on the absent voters list he's recorded at Dilston Terrace.

I have been informed that a photograph of Casey (a regular soldier before the war) was used as the model for a "Tuck's Oilette" post card of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Another Military Medal winner, from Radcliffe this time is 7/1339 Private James Douglass, 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. The award was gazetted 21 January 1919 under his new 6 digit territorial number '290055' for service with the 1st battalion. His medal index card shows only his earlier 7th battalion number, 7/1339, and the London Gazette gives his home town as Acklington, but I'm sure this is the same man. The medal rolls themselves should show both service numbers.
Old 24-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Another double gallantry winner; MM & DCM from Radcliffe. A very exciting citation for the DCM!

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers, and Men, for gallantry and distinguished service in the Field

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 OCTOBER, 1918
308015 A./R.S.M. J. Lynn, M.M., W. Rid.R. (Radcliffe, Acklington).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when the line was pressed back in rear of battalion headquarters. Owing to his determined handling of the headquarters personnel, and such stragglers as he could gather in, he held the line at that point and remained there until orders for withdrawal were received, when the battalion was able to withdraw in perfect order to the new position. His courage and initiative were invaluable.
Old 25-11-2012, 09:27 AM

I like the determined handling bit

1911 census: Long Row North, Radcliffe. John Lynn born about 1892 in North Seaton, is a coal miner (putter) living at home. I guess he is a putter because of his age, 18. His parents are William and Harriet and he has a younger brother, Thomas. William is a miner. It looks like Harriet might have been married before as there is a stepson with the surname Buddle. Harriet was born in Norfolk.
Old 25-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
We have 3079 Company Sergeant Major Walter John Casey, Northumberland Fusiliers who won the Military Medal and was Mentioned in Dispatches in the Great War. He was later commissioned into the Highland Light Infantry. His address on his medal index card is 29 High Street; on the absent voters list he's recorded at Dilston Terrace.
Walter John is a married man on 1911 census living at 2 Acklington Road. He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland in 1876 and is an army man. HIs wife was born in Portsmouth. It looks like he was an Army Sergeant Instructor in 7th Battalion NF on the permanent staff at a school in Alnwick. His children have been born in Portland, Aldershot and Alnwick. His father in law, called Clancey, from Co Clare, is an Army Pensioner 21st Royal Scots Fusiliers. Very much an army family.
Old 25-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I like the determined handling bit

1911 census: Long Row North, Radcliffe. John Lynn born about 1892 in North Seaton, is a coal miner (putter) living at home. I guess he is a putter because of his age, 18. His parents are William and Harriet and he has a younger brother, Thomas. William is a miner. It looks like Harriet might have been married before as there is a stepson with the surname Buddle. Harriet was born in Norfolk.
re citation:
I've got visions of him taking papers and typewriters off commissioned officers heading to the rear and giving them rifles and 'suggesting' they follow him forward.
Old 25-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Walter John is a married man on 1911 census living at 2 Acklington Road. He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland in 1876 and is an army man. HIs wife was born in Portsmouth. It looks like he was an Army Sergeant Instructor in 7th Battalion NF on the permanent staff at a school in Alnwick. His children have been born in Portland, Aldershot and Alnwick. His father in law, called Clancey, from Co Clare, is an Army Pensioner 21st Royal Scots Fusiliers. Very much an army family.

Just looking at that now - I see his brother in law, a William Clancey, 21, coal miner is recorded, We have a W. Clancy and a W.J. Clancy sp? on the Amble war memorial. Looks like he was a Sergeant in the 7th as well, killed 15th Sept 1916.
Old 25-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator

I've started the separate page for the Medal winners:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_nort...try_medals.htm

I stumbled across the fact that Casey served in the Boer War as well and was wounded at Stormberg.

I'm stuck trying to find the next event in his career; the date of his commission. It should be in the London Gazette or the Army lists, but I'm not having much success.

Last edited by Coquet; 25-11-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 25-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Administrator

That page is going to take an age to do. I will have to check everyone in the absent voters list.

We will also have a large number of hidden WW1 soldiers that were discharged before the Absent voters list were made up.
Old 25-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I've started the separate page for the Medal winners:

[I'm stuck trying to find the next event in his career; the date of his commission. It should be in the London Gazette or the Amy lists, but I'm not having much success.
London Gazette 28 Feb 1922, issue 32625 has a list of Regular Army Reserve of Officers:
General List: The undermentioned late temp Quartermasters and Lts to be Qrmrs, with rank of Lt. 1st March 1922:-Walter John Casey.
Old 25-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Supplement to London Gazette 21 Dec 1921, issue no. 32556:

General List: The undermentioned temp Qrmrs relinquish their commissions on completion of service and retain their rank:
Infantry, Lts:
W J Casey 14 March 1920.