Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Cliff House Farm Aircraft Crash

I haven't seen any threads about this subject on here, but during WW2 on the 1st of December 1943 an RAF Bomber crashed into Cliff House Farm owned by the Robson family, killing their five children and 6 crew members. I've always been interested of learning more about this as i used to live in Robsons Way, where all the streets are named after the children killed. Is the farm still there? Is that the same farm which is still on Gloster Hill? Any information or pictures would be appreciated.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoward View Post
I haven't seen any threads about this subject on here, but during WW2 on the 1st of December 1943 an RAF Bomber crashed into Cliff House Farm owned by the Robson family, killing their five children and 6 crew members. I've always been interested of learning more about this as i used to live in Robsons Way, where all the streets are named after the children killed. Is the farm still there? Is that the same farm which is still on Gloster Hill? Any information or pictures would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, the 5 Robson kids were my mother's cousins. The subject has been extensively covered in other threads but you are right it doesn't have one to itself. Yes the streets are the children, they are buried in the West cemetery, no the farm is long gone, demolished by opencast mining up by Togston bends. It has been covered on fb in Amble in Old photos as well. Plenty on the net if you google it,

Last edited by hollydog; 09-08-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Welcome to the forum, the 5 Robson kids were my mother's cousins. The subject has been extensively covered in other threads but you are right it doesn't have one to itself. Yes the streets are the children, they are buried in the West cemetery, no the farm is long gone, demolished by opencast mining up by Togston bends. It has been covered on fb in Amble in Old photos as well. Plenty on the net if you google it,
Thank you for the info, i will have a search for old photos now
Old 11-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Our page was here:

https://www.fusilier.co.uk/boats_pla...rm_togston.htm

I do have copies of the Acklington record book for WW2 but the accident report for that incident is incomplete, only a couple of pages remaining. (the rest removed? ) - but multiple copies of the report were sent to various RAF bodies at the time so the full report will exist somewhere I expect. If not transcribed and already online it will require a trip to the National Archives. It might of course be on 'facebook' I do not know.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Administrator

here's a couple of photos of original documents you might find of interest:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sterling 2.jpg (40.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg sterling 1.jpg (38.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Administrator

I see the surviving aircrew member felt like the aircraft 'Jarred violently', possibly they had hit the slipstream of another aircraft - then ...he recalls nothing.

Tags
1940s, amble, tragedy, ww2