Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Acklington and Guyzance

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Hello All,

I am a new member to the forum,I stumbled across it whilst trying to find out some information regarding the Second World War and R.A.F. Acklington.
As a keen collector/researcher of WW2 aviation I recently purchased a gem of a find,an actual R.A.F. Ensign that once flew at Acklington.It was presented to "The Ploo" (Plough) Pub in 1942,I believe the Pub is no longer trading?.It is a great find,not only regarding local history but also because my Grandfather and Grandmother were R.A.F. groundcrew at Acklington during WW2.
The Ensign came in an R.A.F. "valve" box and has a printed label,see included photo`s.Also included in the box is a section of a German Kriegsflagge,I was told that aircraft from Acklington attacked a German ship and disabled it,allowing the Royal Navy to capture the ship.The section of flag is alledged to have been handed over to Acklington as a trophy.
This is the info that I am looking for,I noticed that "Coquet" has copies of the War Diaries for Acklington so I would be very grateful if during your research you could pass on any details of an incident involving aircraft from Acklington attacking a German ship,or reference made to the trophy flag.
The Ensign is currently being framed so the pictures were taken as a before and,when completed,after.It does not normally hang over the bannister!I hope that you find this of interest,the Ensign was destined to be sold to a buyer "down south" until my intervention.

Kind Regards

Paul.
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I've had a look through the pre Christmas 1942 pages of the Acklington record book and not found anything referring to a shipping attack unfortunately, although it's heavy going, I could have missed something.