Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 13-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Red Row shops

Anyone remember the shops and shopkeepers of Red Row. The last one (north) was Allan`s, I remember he owned an E type Jag and had travelling shops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 008.jpg (87.1 KB, 162 views)
Old 14-11-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Anyone remember the shops and shopkeepers of Red Row. The last one (north) was Allan`s, I remember he owned an E type Jag and had travelling shops
Was the first building a bank and the second one a clothes shop,a chemist shop was further up inbetween Allens shops,i think.The corner shop was a fruit and veg used to call in every morning before school for a cooking apple the bigger the better.
Old 14-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Was the first building a bank and the second one a clothes shop,a chemist shop was further up inbetween Allens shops,i think.The corner shop was a fruit and veg used to call in every morning before school for a cooking apple the bigger the better.
Also Nardinis chip shop across the road.
Old 15-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Re; Red Row shops

In early 50s Hetherington's greengrocer was on the corner (Just out of shot on right) The first on right was Martins Bank, later Midlands, then a gents hairdresser, John Chapman (outfitters)which later became 'The Corn Dolly', Johner Dixons Bicycle shop, Wakes Chemist, Harry Donkins, Allen's had a double fronted shop. On the other side of the road from Hetherington's was Primrose Hall ("Sweat Box)and next to it was the Co-op both food and millinery dept's. Further north was Nardini's then further again was another General Store but I can't remember who owned it.
Old 15-11-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
In early 50s Hetherington's greengrocer was on the corner (Just out of shot on right) The first on right was Martins Bank, later Midlands, then a gents hairdresser, John Chapman (outfitters)which later became 'The Corn Dolly', Johner Dixons Bicycle shop, Wakes Chemist, Harry Donkins, Allen's had a double fronted shop. On the other side of the road from Hetherington's was Primrose Hall ("Sweat Box)and next to it was the Co-op both food and millinery dept's. Further north was Nardini's then further again was another General Store but I can't remember who owned it.
Think the owner of the general store was Erskine,
Old 15-11-2013, 09:14 PM

Parsonx - I take it the Nardini chip shop is now the Ocean Star Chinese Take-Away? The two ladies (sisters) Nardini and Bruce used to own the cafe above Law's Stores in Morpeth (imaginatively called the Narbru!). I used to wile away many an hour after school with chips and gravy and a coke float there.
One of them, can't remember which, also owned the Harbour chippy in Amble.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:08 PM

I can see them all now. Who was the scrap man, he had a yard behind the co op, he helped me get my motorbike home when the chain snapped, good man. Pettica`s garage and they owned the Grey Arms Hotel which had a bookies down the side. The picture house. The only surviving business seems to be Stephen Lunn the blacksmith. Someone must have some photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Martins Bank Redrow.jpg (62.1 KB, 139 views)
Old 16-11-2013, 12:18 AM

Jimmy Falkous had the scrap yard behind the co-op. Nardinis did the best fish and chips ever!
Old 16-11-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
Jimmy Falkous had the scrap yard behind the co-op. Nardinis did the best fish and chips ever!
Falkous used to hide his lead under a pile of sand,many a few sheets went missing to be melted down for fishing weights.
Old 16-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Can`t remember where I found this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redrow.jpg (94.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 20-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Default falkous

it was willie falkous the scrapman jimmy was his brother lived at the drift
Old 20-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Used to find the brass shell cases down the beach from the planes from RAF Acklington and take them to him for scrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row 1920s.jpg (46.4 KB, 157 views)
Old 20-11-2013, 09:53 PM

Default 1940s ?

Allan`s staff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Allan`s staff.jpg (42.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 20-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Used to find the brass shell cases down the beach from the planes from RAF Acklington and take them to him for scrap
I was ploughing the beach field next to Hadston Scaurs not long after opencast reinstatement during the miners strike. I was followed all day by a group of lads picking up the brass cannon shells, presumably for scrap.
Tough times, the strike scarred many, only 30 years ago, yet its an unheard of episode to a lot of people living here now

Last edited by hollydog; 20-11-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 21-11-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Picture that would be Harry Coxons shop frontage Builder and Undertaker ???
Old 21-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:

[Re: the picture attached]

Interesting view. What was that weird looking building at the far end with what looks like a canopy over some castle battlements! [is that the one Leslie is asking about?]

Also I'm amazed that garage with the window over (between the corner shop and the club) has survived until today, it should be listed!
Old 21-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Talking Re: Red Row picture of Drift road.

The building was Red Row County Primary school. They tried, and failed, to educate me there for four years. In 1955 they released me on the general public and I got a job at Broomhill Colliery. That wasn't a clever move either.
Old 21-11-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Red Row picture. (Coquet)

The garage you noted was the garage and store room for Tommy Hetheringtons veg shop, on the corner. I suppose, like the shop, it is still empty.
Old 21-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I'm sure you were a sterling pupil!

What about the earlier history of the corner shop - you mention this was a greengrocers 1950s- any idea what it is in the contex of borderlad's 1920 photo? I can see text on the signage but cannot make anything out.
Old 21-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Administrator

That corner shop (and garage attached!) has just sold recently. < 89k I think. Even I was tempted. [but my 'bitcoin' investment has a bit to go yet ]