Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-09-2013, 08:37 AM

Default The last days of Radcliffe

Just rediscovered a magazine article when clearing our loft; from The Observer January 30th 1972. THE LAST DAYS OF A MINING VILLAGE. The article was written by John Patten and the modern photos were by Lucinda Lambton. The magazine has a picture of Tommy Niccols having a shave outside, by the old street tap and there are several photos to accompany the feature. Does anyone know the article and the origins of the old photos? Maybe someone from Tommy's family? There is a particularly interesting one of a WW1? street party in which I can spot the facial features of the Douglas/Guy women? Might be completely wrong but it would be good if anyone can shed light on it. Could scan and put photos here but there might be copyright issues?
Old 25-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Yes unfortunately copyright would be a problem. It would probably still be held by Ms Lambton.
It is a lovely set of photos though, I know because I was looking at them a few years back at Woodhorn Archives as they have a copy of the paper:

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/archive.NRO%2010187
Old 25-09-2013, 10:19 AM

I too have that magazine, very true to life all of it.
We were on the 1972 miners strike at that time, actually picketing in Radcliffe in an attempt to stop the opencast which was in full flow there. Needless to say we had no success as the open cast workers were non union and took no notice of us. There were still some people living in Radcliffe as they had not all been relocated to Amble. We staffed two picket posts, one at the end of Leslie Row and one at the Chapel. These were worked by four men on four hour shifts around the clock, pretty dire as it was a very cold winter. We were on strike from December until March.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:33 AM

I did plan to contact The Observer re archives and contacts for the writer and photographer. Will post if any further info. Thanks for the Woodhorn link Coquet. I am planning a visit there in October .... My first visit since my dad died.(He was the club steward there when the rehousing began.)
Old 26-09-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighbelle View Post
I did plan to contact The Observer re archives and contacts for the writer and photographer. Will post if any further info. Thanks for the Woodhorn link Coquet. I am planning a visit there in October .... My first visit since my dad died.(He was the club steward there when the rehousing began.)
Club steward in Radcliffe that is, not Woodhorn! Have been in touch with nice lady at the Guardian/Observer archives. They have no negatives or copies of the photos published and she suggested Woodhorn! John Patten (was that the same John Patten Education minister under John Major? He and Lucinda Lambton's name are linked in a variety of references) and Lucinda Lambton MIGHT be contactable? I am really keen to get more info on the characters in that street party picture!
Old 29-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Default Radcliffe Album

I have just posted a album of Radcliffe which might be of interest to any people from Radcliffe. I posted 72 in this album, a mixture of street views and some of the kids at Radcliffe school, There are a couple of the Working Men's Club as well. I have nothing but great memories of Radcliffe having lived there from 1954 till I enlisted in 1965,and still have family living in Amble. Barclay's Conning's Marshall's and Dawson's to mention just a few.
It is so good to see so many people involved in keeping the heritage of our area going.
Bill Conning
Old 29-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Thankyou for sharing Billconn. Fascinating to see Radcliffe as it was.

In case anyone is unsure go to "quick links" at the top of the page and look in "all albums" well worth a look.

Last edited by hollydog; 29-10-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 29-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Many thanks Bill.

I've added a link to the album into the post.

I've been waiting 3 years for someone to come along with set of Radcliffe photos!

A few of Hauxley Colliery in there for good measure. Splendid.
Old 29-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Is the date legible on the footballers photo Bill? any names on the back? (and the other photo)

I'm always interested in putting faces to names for the WW1 vets!
Old 30-10-2013, 01:50 PM

Thrilled to see this collection! Thank you billcon for sparing the time. Was the front-on view of the club taken from the school vantage point shot after my dad, Dave Guy, left it? I notice no curtains and the CIU sign isn't there. Funny to see my bedroom window again after all these years!
Old 30-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Default Radcliffe Photos

I still have a lot of photos to go through and will put more on the site, some of the Cross Row and Long Row, Stable Row, school sports day photos and Sea view and Bondi Carr farm, The ones I have just posted are on CD as I find they are easier to show.
Old 30-10-2013, 05:56 PM

So pleased your on here Bill we go back a very long time, and the added bonus of your store of photos a smashing surprise, any names for school kids Were they our era, P-C
Old 30-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Great pictures.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighbelle View Post
Thrilled to see this collection! Thank you billcon for sparing the time. Was the front-on view of the club taken from the school vantage point shot after my dad, Dave Guy, left it? I notice no curtains and the CIU sign isn't there. Funny to see my bedroom window again after all these years!
Yes it was taken from the old school and the WMC was closed down and a new Radcliffe Club is down in Amble at the top of the Lord Mayors site.
Old 30-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Is the date legible on the footballers photo Bill? any names on the back? (and the other photo)

I'm always interested in putting faces to names for the WW1 vets!
No there are no names or dates on the originals but I am sure my sister will be able to put names to faces.