Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Default Radcliffe Brass Band

There is an article in the Morpeth Herald of 7 February 1903 regarding a social held in the schools in connection with the brass band. Apparently the band had been formed 6 months previously. The band leader was a James Tindall of Amble, W Hudson Junior, hon secretary and J N Pyle, treasurer. The M.C.'s for the evening were H Pyle and J Rollo (related to Kit?)
Old 26-03-2014, 10:28 PM

Default Radcliffe brass band morpeth herald 1903

Janwhin,
See attached photo of my great grandparents Margaret & James Tindale.
I feel pretty sure that he is the James Tindall mentioned as band leader,
as it seems unlikely that there was any more than one of that name in Amble at that time. The spelling appears both ways on our census docs, and sometimes as Lindale.
The J. Rollo would be John Kits older brother.
The photo by the way is i think 1917, when he was aged 62, and the writing on the back tells this and the fact he seemed to be based at Catterick, but in what capacity? prehaps this is one that coquet could shed light on.
Regards,
George Gray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img072.jpg (19.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 26-03-2014, 11:09 PM

He looks world weary in that photograph, George. Strangely, one of my 4 x great grandfathers was a Tindale. They were variously Tindal, Tindle, Tindale, you name it! Even worse his daughter married my 3 x great grandfather who was an Aitchison, Aecheson, Atkinson, Athinson........

Ther is another thread somewhere which talks about the band being absorbed into the NF during the war and leading recruitment drives. Maybe Catterick had soemthing to do with that? Coquet is sure to know
Old 28-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Radcliffe brass band/ Tindale

HI JANWHIN,
Its interesting for me to hear that you are related to a Tindale, or whatever spelling. The attached is again from my mothers photo box and i feel that its also great grandad James as a bandsman.The droopy moustache helps to cause doubt, and he is older than the NF photo.
Just in case there is any connection with your relative, here are some basic info
The family moved to Amble from Rosedale in north yorks, are on the 1901 census living at no 3 Byron street, and had five children as follows below.
John William, Fred, Annie[ my grannie], Sarah, and Harry Ward[a bit of a ?]
My grannie called him her half brother as far as i remember.on the 1911 census
They are in Newburgh street at the cottage which was the marina cafe in the 1960s. Tbrass band edit 1.jpghey ended up in 41, High street which i think was the old clinic.
James and Margaret both died in 1926.
I do have more info , but the basics may be of interest.
Regards,
George.
Old 28-03-2014, 08:29 PM

My Tindals were in Northumberland in the early 1800s and before but it is a Northumbrian name so maybe your family had moved into Yorkshire.
The February 1903 newspaper article has your James down as band leader but later the same month the band were advertising for a new bandmaster "Must be a good cornet player. Miner, young steady man preferred".
That second photo does look like James....lovely uniform. It seems to have been at one of those camps they used to have.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Fascinating photos. I feel the second photo is earlier than the first for some reason.

Do we know why he is not on the absent voters' list for Amble?

If you want you can email me them in their raw size and I'll put them side by side as a single picture.

I'm sure there will be information about him scattered over the years throughout the Northumberland Fusiliers regimental newspaper the 'St George's Gazette'. There is a full run at Woodhorn.
I always wanted to build a set of bound volumes of the paper for at least the WW1 period but the price is now off the map for them!
Old 28-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Regarding Catterick.

We are familiar with the 7th Battalion the Northumberland Fusiliers, or more accurately the 1/7th Battalion, (1/x = '1st line'). There were more battalions formed designated the 2/7th '2nd line' (became a Garrison battalion and went to Egypt), and a 3/7th '3rd line' that formed at Alnwick. The 3/7th remained in the UK as a reserve battalion, and went to Catterick 8/4/16 then a spell at Redcar and back to Catterick at the end of 1916, then back to Alnwick sometime after March 1917.

It's possible he's ended up in this 3/7th battalion. The date fits nicely with the date on your 1st photo.
Old 29-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Default Radcliffe brass band/james tindale

ATTACH]472[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that amazing info Coquet.
I thought this attachment may be of interest regarding the date.
photo taken 14th sept 1917, and the studio was Geo. Holdsworth of Hornsea and Hartlepool.
I have attached his medal card, which confirms it being taken just before hi discharge.
I have several other NF photos of family,particularly my grandfather who died at the somme although he had moved from Amble to Low Gosforth as a miner,
before the war and enlisted on tyneside, he still has a connection with Amble.
you may be interested.
Thanks again,
George.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new j crop.jpg (45.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 29-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Default James Tindale medal card

img078.jpg
Im not very practiced with attachments, hope this works.
George.
Old 29-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Interesting. This 4th Reserve battalion (ex 3/4) absorbed the 3/5, 3/6, 3/7, battalions. I have a date of 1st September 1916 for this which conflicts a bit with the info above which comes for Brigadier James book "British Regiments 1914-1918"

Still likely to have been in the 3/7th in my opinion. Not sure if John at the drift has the complexities of these UK N. Fusilier units sorted out. I know large numbers of men wounded and sick from active service ended up in the 4th Reserve Battalion in the latter years of the war before discharge as well. I suppose they had to be attached to some unit even if just on paper.
Old 29-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Administrator

The silver war badge roll states discharged through sickness, aged 52.
Old 30-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Default Radcliffe brass band/Tindale

Thanks for your help Coquet,
I think I need a visit to woodhorn, and get a look at these gazettes you mention.
Regards,
George.