Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
If you want assistance, let me know.....I'll be off on holiday tomorrow then, sort of last minute booking thingy
Part timer

Anyhoos I'll jot down some notes as I see it (oh dear) as I go along by editing this post (probably all you will want to read of this Hauxley Colliery story)

Lease for Hauxley Colliery between John Leadbitter (for the Earl of Newburgh) ,and George Johnson, Colliery Viewer, of Byker, dated 1792.

Duration: 87 years

Annual rent, after the first three years: £600

Production tax per Ten* of coal, in the first 45 years of 10 shillings.

(*A Ten is defined in the lease as being equal to 440 Bolls, a Boll being 36 gallons. The word Ten being derived from 'Tentale rent')

In the last 42 years of the lease, an additional tax of 20 shillings per Ten for each Ten that exceeds the coal production maximum set by the annual rent of £600

A tax of 5 shillings per Ten for coal consumed by coal drawing steam engines.

A tax of 12 Shillings per Ten for coals sold by Landsale.

No tax will be charged for coal consumed by steam pumping engines ('fire engines for drawing water') or coals used by agents, pitmen, and other workmen.

Exclusive right of the Harbour at Ambell

Free Liberty to make erections and buildings for the making of tiles, bricks and glass. (this is later modified to include making copper??? but now at an annual fee for buildings at £25 pa)

30 yard barrier to be left between the colliery workings and the workings of any other colliery.