Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift.

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 11-06-2013, 12:59 PM

Default Chevington Drift Map Overlay

Here is the map overlay of Chevington Drift for use in Google Earth. When you open the .kmz file (extract it from the attached zip) it will show as a 'temporary place' inside Google Earth.

You can right click your mouse over the 'temporary place' and adjust it's properties. This is useful for seeing the current features underneath the overlay and viewing just how things have changed over the years.

Sadly there is nothing much left apart from the main road through the village, which is still evident today.

Both my Mam and Granda worked at the Coop at the Drift and I remember getting on the bus outside the miner's cottages (at least I think they were miner's cottages!) and also the post office. Can't have been much more than 6 or 7 at the time and it was all demolished a few years after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chevington Drift.jpg (114.6 KB, 129 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Chevington Drift.zip (96.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Cheers ,another file upload . I have very little information on the Drift . I can remember the place and went there when the houses were empty for a look just before they pulled it down . Both my late grandparents were from the Drift .
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Great work Morph, I always wondered if the new road followed the route of the old sea road, and it would seem so... exactly!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Smile

John@thedrift is correct in the new road following the old route, with the exception of a slight kink at the Red Row end. This is for safety reasons of course since the laying of the new road to Radcliffe and Amble.
I walked the old road from 'The Drift' to the shore many times as a child as my maternal Grandparents lived at 'The Drift'. My Mother took me every Sunday to Granny's for tea and we usually stayed and caught the last Craigs bus, at 1030pm. A lady called Tilly lived in the end cottage where the bus came in and turned. On a winter night passengers used to lean against her wall and get the benefit from the heat of her coal fire. It was on the inside of that wall.
Like others no doubt, I wondered if the road post-opencast had been re-laid in the right place so, last month I drove along it to see for myself. Yes it has been and terminates where, in 1945, there was a Bailey Bridge. (Now a concrete foot-bridge) I walked along the paths I had trudged as a child, onto the same features on the Links. It was all very nostalgic.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:48 AM

This one for the Drift was the first map I overlaid, mainly because everything has gone. I have walked along the road to the beach and just couldn't picture where everything was. The map helped and I was very surprised to see the road was in the same place!

I had no idea that the concrete foot-bridge was in the same place as the Bailey Bridge. I can remember that being there still in the 70's as I used to go fishing in the burn with my granda. We never caught anything, but it was fun all the same.

You would think that somebody must have documented the village before it was torn down and yet there does not appear to be much out there (online at least).
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
You would think that somebody must have documented the village before it was torn down and yet there does not appear to be much out there (online at least).
I seem to recall seeing an A4 photocopied document with a blue cover about the Drift. I did ask my sister about it a while back because she had had a copy, being an old Drifter, but hers had disappeared. There should still be some copies in Hadston.....somewhere
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Old Shaft

When walking down the road from Red Row towards the sea there is a footpath to the left with a large stone with a sign on it saying something about the site of a shaft or possibly drift, a couple of years since I have seen it. Next time I go that way with the dog I will get a picture of it.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM

If it is across the other side of the main road, I think it marks the beginning of the village of Chevington Drift.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM

The boulder is on the site of the actual drift entrance and has a plate giving this information.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...read.php?t=120

Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Drift entrance boulder

No need for me to get a picture then