Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Burton & Richardson Mineral Water Company Amble

Here is a photo of the Works Outing for all the staff of the "Soda Pop Company" as Grandma always called it. This photo has always been in my family.
Does anyone recognise the building and it's location?

My father wrote the notes on the back. The owner, John Burton is standing in the centre with his arms folded. As Dad noted, two of his sons Ridley and Jack are on the cart. Grandma was the eldest of thirteen.

Thanks to help on this forum and reading abound the Wynd this morning and looking at the photo, I did wonder if that was where the photo was taken. However on closer examination of the two pictures, the chimneys are different, which suggests this could be the new premises in Bridge Street.

I wonder if this outing could have been to celebrate the opening of the new premises but was it before or after John Burton took over the sole ownership of the business in July 1898.

I've no knowledge of who the man standing next to John Burton is or what William James Richardson his original partner looked like. WJR died in Sept 1903.

M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John BURTON Works outing 1898 back small.jpg (56.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1898 Amble Mineral Water Works Outing.jpg (136.7 KB, 119 views)